Classifieds

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Question VMR Vs Coast Guard. Qld

    Have you ever wondered about the difference between the Coast Guard and VMR ?

    These two wonderful services have been operating in Queensland for many many years and are the go to people in time of need.

    They mostly run on donations and money from fund raising and get some Government support. They also have memberships.

    The sad part of this is that in most cases, membership of either organisation is not reciprocal with other squadrons within each organisation.

    Wouldn't it be a great idea to amalgamate the 2 and with your membership being state wide ? ( RACQ type assistance ) Could even offer different levels of membership and have this membership offered at time of sale on New Boats.. again RACQ type.

    What about a membership card, where you spend x amount of dollars , say at BCF, and that store donate 1 cent in the dollar to them and similarly many other marine business's..... tackle shops, bait shops, chandlery, servicing agents, boat sales, trailer sales and more.... jeez even get Health Insurance people on board, as boating is definitely a very healthy and social activity that should be encouraged and rewarded.

    I can even see a system whereby a small percentage, say $1.00 for each vessel re-directed off from the RUF on our regos and placed in the hands of those in need.... the Rescue organisations.

    Both VMR and Coast Guard have very experienced and knowledgeable people within their ranks and combining these super powers would be beneficial to both parties AND the boating public.

    Standard practices, streamlining of accounts, membership etc, stronger representative platforms when dealing with Government, let alone standardisation of VHF channels for responses and log in / outs, standard uniforms for easier public recognition / branding / marketing. Better deals with sponsors of Boats, Motors, Electronics etc.

    There is still some funding left over from the TMR ( Boating.. MIF ) Infrastructure fund, I believe ... ?

    These organistaions offer a service, second to none in this State and indeed this country, and are often called upon by Water Police etc to undertake search and rescue missions, with little reward.


    I would like to hear your thoughts and or suggestions in regard to this idea ? ?


    Cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  2. #2

    Re: VMR Vs Coast Guard. Qld

    I remember about 30 years ago this was recommended in Sydney.
    It didn't go down to well ,although the idea was good then and still is,nobody could agree
    who did what.

    interesting topic though......

  3. #3

    Re: VMR Vs Coast Guard. Qld

    I like the idea.

    I have also wondered why VMR/Coast guards haven't applied for licences similar to Surf Clubs as an alternative funding arrangement? A boaties club of sorts at each port with reciprocal benefits. Looking at the Sunshine Coast as an example, the surf clubs raise a lot more than required to fund surf life saving operations that see an excellent coverage of our beaches. Imagine every river with deep water access having a club to sponsor rescue? I am sure the state government would be supportive?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  4. #4

    Re: VMR Vs Coast Guard. Qld

    I think in time it will be a single organisation, but trying to have 2 separate organisations without (Government assistance) amalgamate would be very expensive and a great deal of work, hence why it has not been done.

    Use Marine Rescue NSW as an example, the only reason it became a single organisation is the government funded it and made it happen. and it was very expensive. Imagine very boat needing to be the same colour, every 12 metre boat would be around $80-$100000. Just in SEQ alone it would be over 3/4 of a million dollars, just in the larger vessels.

    In regards to Reciprocal rights. Coast Guard is Reciprocal, No ifs buts or maybes, This is a guideline from our State Council.

    Like anything with a licensed premises, it takes a lot of capital to start up a club like those, and the SLS clubs have a large Corporation in their Governing Body to assist them in funding the clubs at start up. I am sure the clubs pay back a lot of $$ once its up and going. ALso remember that SLS also have a lot of employees in their governing body, so red tape and licences is much easier. Coast Guard and VMR Dont have these positions, no one is paid by the organisation.

    Just my 2 cents anyway.

  5. #5

    Re: VMR Vs Coast Guard. Qld

    So this has been brought up many times in the past and never eventuated due to what reasons? $$$ or power or personal objectives? What happens to all the double ups? What has to change for them to amalgamate?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

  6. #6

    Re: VMR Vs Coast Guard. Qld

    Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    I think in time it will be a single organisation, but trying to have 2 separate organisations without (Government assistance) amalgamate would be very expensive and a great deal of work, hence why it has not been done.

    Use Marine Rescue NSW as an example, the only reason it became a single organisation is the government funded it and made it happen. and it was very expensive. Imagine very boat needing to be the same colour, every 12 metre boat would be around $80-$100000. Just in SEQ alone it would be over 3/4 of a million dollars, just in the larger vessels.

    In regards to Reciprocal rights. Coast Guard is Reciprocal, No ifs buts or maybes, This is a guideline from our State Council.

    Like anything with a licensed premises, it takes a lot of capital to start up a club like those, and the SLS clubs have a large Corporation in their Governing Body to assist them in funding the clubs at start up. I am sure the clubs pay back a lot of $$ once its up and going. ALso remember that SLS also have a lot of employees in their governing body, so red tape and licences is much easier. Coast Guard and VMR Dont have these positions, no one is paid by the organisation.

    Just my 2 cents anyway.
    The SLS clubs never started out this way. Most of them going back years started with the club pitching together on crown land and building a shed to operate out of and grew from there. Those employees exist now as a result of a lot of years of volunteer work and are now run as separate entities usually with a single elected committee overseeing both.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  7. #7

    Re: VMR Vs Coast Guard. Qld

    Look what happened in NSW when the state government got involved.

    Any sort of amalgamation has to be done mutually and outside the control of government.

    Furthermore, you then have the head bodies lining their pockets with the state governments funds and not passing it on to the individual units. Someone is getting paid by the government, but its not the clubs.

    This is a whole lot more complicated than anyone could begin to imagine.


  8. #8

    Re: VMR Vs Coast Guard. Qld

    Plenty here in NSW merged, however it was not easy, neither organization wanted to be "taken over" and it was a stale mate for yonks, but in the end, most ended up being simply "Marine Rescue" my local area have the Coast guard, the Volunteer Coast Gaurd, and another smaller one that just sort of vanished, we had a big tower/radio base high on a hill over looking the water owned by one group, and a similar setup owned by the other, in the end, they just agreed it had to happen, and neither got "naming rights" so it was not a take over (kind of) the Marine Rescue does not charge for towing or assistance (unlike QLD) though most people offer a "donation" when help is needed, they are run on a voluntary, fund raising system, and get a miserable amount of Gov "hand out" they get money from sausage sizzles at Bunnings on weekends, raffles now and then and stuff like that. There is still drama now and then, everyone wants to be the boss, everyone wants to drive the boat, but most are not too thrilled about turning up to a working bee, so in that respect, it is the same as most clubs and the like, but, in the main, it works, they have a good oat, good radio coverage, and are all kind of "linked" along the coast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us