Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass to Barra Trail!!!

Bass to Barra Trail!!!

Hi guys

Need some help on an upcoming trip, i've got 2 weeks off in December for a fishing trip to SE QLD, first time up there looking to smash some giant bass, yellowbelly and in particular sarotoga and barramundi, i've got about 9 dams picked out but due to only having 2 weeks i need to narrow it down to about 4 dams. Which dams are a must to fish when up that way???

Re: Bass to Barra Trail!!!

Add Somerset to the list for a starting point for your bass hit
    Cheers

Steven

where are you looking at? the trail goes from nth NSW to Townsville.?
    Fred Haig at bundaberg would be the most southern trophy barra dam

Thanks Steve i'll have a look

I was looking at Borumba, Monduran and Cania but also considering Somerset, Lenthals, Barambah and Wuruma plus any others that may be recommended, so many dams and so little time unfortunately so gotta narrow it down.

How far up do you want to go ? ..... that's the first thing ?

if I wanted to limit the traveling time & wanted to give myself the best opportunity to tick some big fish box's

My trip would be (assuming you are coming up from NSW)

Lake Cania ( Good bass & good Toga ) + spectacular location / good camping nearby

Lake Monduran ( Barra & Bass .... if you can catch the bass) + big dam & good camping nearby

Lake Borumba (Bass & Toga
    ) .... A pretty dam ( small in size) - good camping nearby.

Now while not in Qld & part of the Bass to Barra trail - Lake Copeton - Renown Cod fishery , Yellas & silvers ..... plus awesome bankside camping ..... It also breaks up the trip either up or back

If you want the best chance of adding a big barra - go the extra 600km from Cania to Lake Kinchant (Mackay) ..... but you lose a days fishing in extra driving . It's great because it is the only barra dam where you can camp on the waters edge (with a powered site) ..... Plus a bar & good feed - I describe it as Resort fishing ..... the other benefit is that it is small & can be easier to get your head around . Oh yeh & there are big sooties in there too.

Best of luck with it .....

Chris

PS - If 14 days is the maximum you have - I'd stick with just 3 dams & give yourself more time on a barra dam (5-7 days)
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    How far up do you want to go ? ..... that's the first thing ?

if I wanted to limit the traveling time & wanted to give myself the best opportunity to tick some big fish box's

My trip would be (assuming you are coming up from NSW)

Lake Cania ( Good bass & good Toga ) + spectacular location / good camping nearby

Lake Monduran ( Barra & Bass .... if you can catch the bass) + big dam & good camping nearby

Lake Borumba (Bass & Toga
    ) .... A pretty dam ( small in size) - good camping nearby.

Now while not in Qld & part of the Bass to Barra trail - Lake Copeton - Renown Cod fishery , Yellas & silvers ..... plus awesome bankside camping ..... It also breaks up the trip either up or back

If you want the best chance of adding a big barra - go the extra 600km from Cania to Lake Kinchant (Mackay) ..... but you lose a days fishing in extra driving . It's great because it is the only barra dam where you can camp on the waters edge (with a powered site) ..... Plus a bar & good feed - I describe it as Resort fishing ..... the other benefit is that it is small & can be easier to get your head around . Oh yeh & there are big sooties in there too.

Best of luck with it .....

Chris

PS - If 14 days is the maximum you have - I'd stick with just 3 dams & give yourself more time on a barra dam (5-7 days)
    I'm coming from Muswellbrook NSW, i thought about Copeton but its close enough to make another weekend outta it and since i'm short on time i'll give it a miss, i havnt decided how far up, i was debating about going up to Peter Faust Dam for barra but like you said i loose a days fishing travelling, Borumba, Peter Faust or Kinchant and Cania could be a good trip

Sommerset can be tough in December, and very crowded. You could stick close to the Bruce Hy and do Borumba, Lenthels , and Mondy. Then if it's too tough at Mondy you have Awoonga just up the road. That would be my recommendation
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky89 View Post
    I'm coming from Muswellbrook NSW, i thought about Copeton but its close enough to make another weekend outta it and since i'm short on time i'll give it a miss, i havnt decided how far up, i was debating about going up to Peter Faust Dam for barra but like you said i loose a days fishing travelling, Borumba, Peter Faust or Kinchant and Cania could be a good trip
    Faust can be a tough gig ..... but it is only 2 hrs from Kinchant

I guess it boils down to what you have as your priority . Being from Musswellbrook you have some great bass dams nearby . So knowing that , I would go Kinchant (avoid it on the weekend if possible ) - nearby (20mins) you have Teemburra which is also good for Barra & Sooties . ...... then play it by ear . Either come back via the Bruce & go to Borumba or inland to Cania (my pick)

I've done quite a few trips to these dams (from Sydney) & have found that you can quite easily hang out at one location ( we used to do Awoonga or Monduran a week at a time ...... we've had trips to Kinchant extended - then regretfully left Cania because it was just a stopover whilst heading further north

I actually like to go to my furthest destination - direct ... its easier to do because of the anticipation/adrenaline & then work my way south . In a couple of weeks I'm heading to Tinaroo & then coming back via a couple of salt water destinations .

Hopefully the fish co operate & you have a cracker of a trip

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Add Kinchant for the Barra.

cania and burrumba both nice dams but I would not do both. Would go Borumba over Cania

yep as you said so many dams so little time.
    Cheers

Steven

3 Dams, I'd do Somerset, Borumba and Kinchant. You could then tick off Bass, Saratoga, Barra and Sooties from your bucket list. Don't forget the purchase your Stocked Impoundment Permit.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by StevenM View Post
    Add Kinchant for the Barra.

cania and burrumba both nice dams but I would not do both. Would go Borumba over Cania

yep as you said so many dams so little time.
    Outta curiosity why wouldnt you do both?

Great dam but a long drive in to Cania
    ~~~><))))*>

Also, you get the best venison burgers ever if you stay at the Deer Park at Borumba.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky89 View Post
    Outta curiosity why wouldnt you do both?
    same target fish in bass and toga. Bigger and better fish in Borumba, and Cania a long way from anywhere and you stay a fair distance from the dam itself.

with Borumba as also advised stay at the deer park, nice spot, fish the creek for sooties and have a deer pie.
    Cheers

Steven

All the options listed are all great dams to fish. I think Borumba is a great option because it fishes really well for both bass and toga's. Has good camping and not far from the highway. Monduran is tough one to crack, alot of water, high water levels and just fished it this weekend just passed for zero fish in the boat. I think Awoonga is a better option , good camping and a sneaking suspicion its ready to fire. Give yourself a decent bit of time to fish any of the barra dams. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Ausfish mobile app