Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the best way to charge a battery

What the best way to charge a battery

Hey guys im buying a fish finder soon and i was just wondering what will be the best way to charge the battery in the boat without me having to remove it from the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: What the best way to charge a battery

Just hook up charger and charge?

560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Is it safe to hook up charged to battery while it is still connected inside the he boat ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just get a little solar panel depending on the size of your battery i have a little 10w panel cost me $22 free postage on ebay i leave hooked up to my fish finder battery an it works a treat

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Awsome thanks

just make sure that the panel you buy also comes with a 12V solar regulator, as a 12V SP can easily output up to 19V in good sunlight and fry your battery.

Ah i didnt no that thanks for letting me know

Go on eBay and buy 10 anderson plugs for about the price of one from that super place mob and convert all your fittings to them including your charger and solar panel. Never have to worry about polarity agsin, I just disconnect my circuits, plug in the charger and have no concerns whatsoever. I did make up a set of clamps as well for use with people who aren't setup like me.

Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Dante647 View Post
    Hey guys im buying a fish finder soon and i was just wondering what will be the best way to charge the battery in the boat without me having to remove it from the boat

believe it my mates only charge there battery once in winter i go fishing with them most weekends so there boat gets used once maybe three times in a month with around 2-4 hours driving each day, they run a lowarance fish finder i think it is and nav lights nothing else and they get away without charging the battery

now when i go out my boats are light up like a squid boat without lighting its a terrible nights fishing haha i actually need to see my rod to catch fish i usually run around 1-1.5 meters of 600 LED or 5050 LED 300 strips i also run the nav lights and live bait tanks

we actually got pulled over by water police one sunset and the cop asked if i could turn on my lights so i did than he seen the big LED light strip light up and asked if i was going to turn it off after they leave haha i replied no mate it will be on all night, they sat 100 meters off the bow for around 25mins

i go thru battery charge like crazy but charging battery's is annoying and time consuming

if u hook up the solar panel check them out back in the day some would draw the power out of the battery when not charging it

Ah fair enough i only want to power the fish finder and dont want the hassel of removeing the battery and charging it

Ah fair enough i only want to power the fish finder and dont want the hassel of removeing the battery and charging it

You can check your engine's output charging power by looking up your engine than look up your fish finder or look on the back to see how much power it uses

small fish finders use next to no power we have left fish finders accidentally turned on and found out the next day with it still turned on

How would i hook my fish finder up to the outboard it doesnt have a battery on it i was gonna buy one speciffically for the fish finder

Just buy a 7.5 amp or even better a 9amp closed cell battery, around $40 and just connect it direct, with the 9amp you'll need to buy the oversize crimp lugs. I run a sounder off a 7.5amp in the kayak for around 6 hours at a time and it still has plenty of kick left in it.

How would i hook my fish finder up to the outboard it doesnt have a battery on it i was gonna buy one speciffically for the fish finder

Don't do this. It will get expensive. Buy a battery to suit and the required charger - be that a 240v one or solar. If you involve a small outboard as a charging solution you will need a bigger battery in most cases due to the unregulated nature of most of the small engine outputs. Without a decent battery they can easily over voltage and damage electronics. Without a battery at all, at high rpm they can typically generate in excess of 100 volts with no load.