Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White spot in the Logan.

White spot in the Logan.

Just received an email from The Dep of Agriculture and Fisheries.

White spot disease - Industry update

9 December 2016

Restrictions imposed in Logan River to contain prawn disease

Test results have confirmed white spot disease in wild prawns recently collected from the Logan River. This detection follows the confirmation of the disease on two prawn farms in the region recently. Additionally, a third property nearby has now been confirmed as infected.

The positive river samples were collected from the Logan River adjacent to one of the affected farms and at a second site 500m downstream. Surveillance will increase in the river to determine the scale of the disease in natural waterways.

White spot has had devastating impacts in other countries, particularly in relation to aquaculture prawns. The disease can occur in marine environments and affect all types of decapod crustaceans as well as polychaete worms.

To reduce the risk of the disease spreading to other areas of Queensland and other states, a movement control order has been applied to the Logan River from Jabiru Weir and Luscombe Weir to the mouth of the river. The movement control order restricts the movement of all potential carriers of the disease out of the area. This includes crustaceans such as prawns and crabs and polychaete worms.

Commercial and recreational fishers are encouraged not to operate in the area as they will be unable to retain their catch and remove it from the area.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: White spot in the Logan.

Will give the system a good chunk of time over a normally heavy fished period to rejuvinate, should be some good crabbing in there once it is allowed again.

What could go wrong.......................

Whats the bet people still crab and prawn it
    what a sad sad AB

More info in the NEWS forum here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...g-and-prawning

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Let's hope fisheries have patrols there non stop and fine anyone that thinks they can still crab and prawn to get them while everyone else stops.

As like green zone areas there is always people that think they are above the law. Hopefully penalties are high. Would hate to see it spread and stuff everything around Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

I reckon the industry is pretty much stuffed, as is our Moreton bay prawning. It will spread quickly right around the bay. Prawn farms cycle huge amounts of water, this will have been getting injected in to the river and the bay for weeks. This horse has well and truly bolted.

I think most would agree the horse has bolted, but there still needs to be measures put in place to try to contain any disease, just putting your hands in the air will not help!

Have a look at this link, if you'd like to kept informed about Fisheries issues. You can subscribe to various items.

http://www.vision6.com.au/em/forms/s...0433&k=23bf508

cheers LP

From what i saw on the news they said its most likely come from a imported prawn used for bait not the prawn farm, they found it in there prawns and stopped pumping from the river and it affects every bit of seafood not just prawns.

Well they have suspended green prawns imports and they have found a crab with suspected whitespot in a drainage ditch near one of the affected prawn farms. With the rains we've had it would seem impossible to contain it if the crabs outside the farm now have it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    From what i saw on the news they said its most likely come from a imported prawn used for bait not the prawn farm, they found it in there prawns and stopped pumping from the river and it affects every bit of seafood not just prawns.
    So with all the prawns that have been collected from the river outside the farms, (they have apparently had a trawler going backwards and forwards with anything caught going for testing) they have caught a grand total of 6 prawns with the disease but the farms have been infected to the point of requiring a complete euthanizing of all stock and cleaning - anyone else skeptical? Given the low levels of infection outside the farms and the ways in which the virus is spread, it is far more probable IMO that it happened the other way round and a few people are trying pretty hard to deflect any hint of liability in case of any attempted legal challenges. I could be wrong - been known to happen. Something smells fishy to me though.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-2...prawns/8144876

www.agriculture.gov.au/.../animal-plant/.../white-spot-disease.doc

as i understand it, even if there was only one prawn in one pond of a prawn farm infected, that whole crop is removed and the pond ' cleaned '.

now with white spot green prawns being found in retail seafood outlets, the game just changed and i support the governments stance of stopping ALL imports of green prawn. i actually supported this years ago when they first started flooding the local market. IMO, you simply cannot trust imported foods, be they raw or cooked / processed, from countries that are known to have diseases present and undertake their OWN quality control.

LP

You sure can't trust imported rubbish, just ask my son about Octopus.......damn shit should be banned forever.

How is the water quality in the Logan? Anyone with an ounce of fish keeping experience knows white spot and other health affecting diseases and parasites are always present, its the ability to recover from an infection which is directly related to water quality. My only question to which I don't know the answer is how much is water treated before it is pumped into a farm? And if this is now present in our waterways I hope our water quality assists our fishery to recover naturally. If poor water quality stresses our aquatic ecosystem, then resistance to naturally occurring threats is lower.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app