Thread: Towing a tube with a tinnie

Towing a tube with a tinnie

I'm considering getting a SeaJay Nomad 3.5 as a cartopper. They are rated to a max 15hp. How much power would I need to tow a couple of young kids on a tube?

Re: Towing a tube with a tinnie

Hmm, just trying to remember what we did with a 3.7/15hp....
    15hp would be the bare minimum, but they wouldn't want to be any bigger than young kids - tubes can be draggy things to cart around compared to say, a knee board.

The weight of 1 adult driving,1 adult spotting plus the drag of the tube.I would be suprised if it got on the plane with an adult or 2 kids in the tube.We had a 12ft tinnie with a 30hp and would just get on the plane to pull an adult along.

A tube may have more drag but we use to use a boogy board behind a 3.8m tinny that had a 20hp mariner on it. It planed and was not to bad coming out of a whip this was late high school so we were a few kgs lighter back then.

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like I'll just have to use it for fishing. What a shame

You might be surprised, my old 3.5 with a 15hp pulled a tube no worries, 2 adults in boat with minimal gear and 2 kids 11 and 14, took a bit to get going but once on the plane no worries

Tubes are high drag. When the kids are really light its ok. But here's a tip, get a tobogan. Heaps of kids no problem

My 3.5 Savage barra punt with a Merc Super 15 two stoke will pull a tube OK one up with a teenager (15) on it and the missus spotting. I do run a Solas Laser Foil that helps a heap with holeshot. You do need to be a little bit careful whipping as the tube will pull the back of the boat around a bit.

Another liw drug fun thing is a big surfboard or windsurfer. Bot the kids have to hold the handle. Or a disc

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Another liw drug fun thing is a big surfboard or windsurfer. Bot the kids have to hold the handle. Or a disc
    Once more in English.....

I have 3.7 Stacer tinny with brand new 15 HP Merc (USA Engine) I could get 1 10 year old in a tube going fast enough to just about plain, with 2 adults in the boat (by memory) but it was a slow old slog to get the boat to just about planing, 20HP no problems.

Most of the local lads seem to manage simpler sized boats using 10-15hp on the back. Don't expect much speed or wake but for the kids it will be more the adequate.

A little off topic but I often tow my kids (11&12) behind my tinnie (4.3m wide body and high sides with a 40hp Yamaha). It goes very well and puts them in a fantastic whip so all good. The tow rope is set up with a bridle connected to both sides of the transom etc.

At Easter a friend rolled up with one of those five seater sit on tubes so I gave that a go behind my boat. Again I towed it no problems with five kids aged 10 to 14 but when I put them into a whip the tube seriously nearly flipped my boat. My spotter and I nearly crapped ourselves as the boat rolled onto its side only to correct itself at the last second.

Geeeez! Lesson for beginners!