Thread: Alloy props and bloody stumps!!!

Alloy props and bloody stumps!!!

Hi all.
    Following a great day towing the kids around the river and despite my best efforts, it looks like I managed to thump a stump on the last run of the day (goddammit!!!)

Despite the obvious 1/2 glad missing off the prop and the bent skeg, it looks like (and I'm hoping...) that might be the extent of it. I haven't checked the prop shaft yet, but am hoping the prop blade took the brunt. (unlike the last time a few years back with a SS prop...)
    Anyhow, some quick questions though if anyone has some thoughts-
    1. I didn't notice any jolt at all, just the 'bang' noise- do these bigger motors (2005 model Merc 60hp) still kick up if they hit something like with smaller outboards?
    2. Does the bent skeg really make much difference or just to the steering alignment?
    3. Is it worth the risk to straighten? The pics show the bend, but the second snap shows the crack in the skeg...

Any wisdom appreciated!!!
    (Oh, and it's a 4.8 Ally Craft Reef Raider CC with a 2 banger 60 on it...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Alloy props and bloody stumps!!!

lucky it was the motor and not one of the towed kids that hit the stump!
    Affect of bend will vary, see if she still tracks straight enough under power.

Aluminium will heat and straighten easily enough, but as it doesn't change colour when it heats, needs someone who knows what they are doing, or they might just melt it off! But being cracked, I'd reckon put her in somewhere they know what they are doing to have it straightened and welded.

Thanks mate - yep, pretty annoyed now that I have google earthed the spot and found three isolated sawn off stumps that only appear when the water is down...

Well, have it a tiny tap and sure enough the low half just 'pinged' clean off the fin! Still plenty of meat though, so was thinking of grabbing a 'skeggard' and whack it on.
    failing that, would love to hear of any competent welders for this type of work.

in the photo, those with good eyesight will see a couple of specks to the left of the island - well, it looks like it was the darkest one. At present, the water level covers the sand you can see on the island edge. BTW - this is the river at St George, Qld
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, so after checking a few threads it looks like I can get the thing welded without stuffing seals etc.
    can anyone recommend a good marine mech or welder for Bris western suburbs or thereabouts?

There is a product being sold on Ebay if your a DIY person, i don't know if the propane heating will effect the bushing but your at a loss of a prop anyway

try these low temp melting aluminium welding rods u only need a stainless steel wire brush and a propane torch

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALUMINIUM...IAAOSw0fhXiUvt

plenty of videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...p+welding+rods

i purchased these rods but i would have required around 1000 rods for my jobs so i just bought another aluminium welder

if u use these low temp welding rods line the back of the propeller fin with a sheet of copper as backing than just fill in and reshape the prop

Thanks Gaz - that's an interesting bit of kit - I can think of a few other uses actually...
    At this stage, have spoken with a repairer who can take care of the keg repair, so will leave it to someone less likely to bugger it up!!!! Nuisance, but not the end of the world, just a damned shame after an otherwise great day!!!

Ausfish Bronze Member

Gee unlucky mate. This is totally a preventive tip for another day mate... Though this might be a buck too late, this might help for the future. I have a SS prop with a sacrificial wedge on the spline that actually took the hit for me a while ago. I always have a bag of 2 with me on board and saved the day. Allowed my prop to keep pumping hard after with very minimal damage. I also have seen skeg guards kicking around in my area (Townsville) for those nasty rock and mud bars. I wish I could give you websites, bit just letting you know these things are actually out there! Good to hear no one got hurt mate!

Thanks mate - hadn't heard about the sacrificial wedge. I had a SS on a previous outboard, but nowadays would rather have an alloy blade take a hit any day and treat them like a disposable item, as the only other time I have touched something underwater with an SS prop (doing flood rescue work), it did bend the prop shaft and that was only at idle!! All interesting stuff to hear though - that's why I love this forum!

If the boat is insured, check your policy. You might be able to have the lower unit and prop replaced. I personally would be replacing the prop rather than repairing anyway. The skegs can be repaired easily by a good welder.