Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    How is the water quality in the Logan? Anyone with an ounce of fish keeping experience knows white spot and other health affecting diseases and parasites are always present, its the ability to recover from an infection which is directly related to water quality. My only question to which I don't know the answer is how much is water treated before it is pumped into a farm? And if this is now present in our waterways I hope our water quality assists our fishery to recover naturally. If poor water quality stresses our aquatic ecosystem, then resistance to naturally occurring threats is lower.

    Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app
    Scalem white spot in fish is a fungal infection and very differenet to the prawn white spot which is a virus.
    Why do idiots that you hate continually like your posts?

  2. #17

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    Scalem white spot in fish is a fungal infection and very differenet to the prawn white spot which is a virus.
    OK, so where do we go from here? The point I am making is the same as if I caught a cold. It's more likely to happen when my immune system is low or if I am tired or stressed. Recovery and immune systems can be aided by better water quality in the case of a prawn or mud crab in the Logan river.

    Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app

  3. #18

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Scalem, water quality is one things but as far as I am aware, white spot didn't exist in Australia before now. They've just put a ban on imported prawns. Let's see how long that lasts.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  4. #19

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Maybe I am thinking too far ahead. This threat is now in our water. It is what it is, it's here, imported prawns or however it arrived. If I get a virus on my PC I can block it's origins but unless my anti virus program can clean it, I look for programs that can. I can't just leave it there to re-infect.

    Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app

  5. #20

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    White spot wasn't present until now. In the past every consignment of green prawns where tested and also where required to be peeled and have the heads removed as part of the import conditions, I think this was done in the hope people wouldn't use it for bait. The problem with this is that only a small portion of randomly selected prawns from a consignment are tested hence there may be some that have the virus and didn't get tested, much like not everybody catches the flu during the flu season. My guess is somehow imported prawns have come into contact with prawns in the Logan and it has spread from there, I will leave it up to your imagination as to how this happened. The reason for the low number of prawns in the wild with the virus is much the same for people with the flu i.e. if they are spread out then not everybody is going to get it, but if you put everybody together in the same room with somebody with the flu then the possibility for everybody catching it is increased. They have no chance of stopping it now once in the wild as they have no control over the movement of wild populations, it is here now and for ever. My guess is eventually it will spread up and down the east coast.

  6. #21

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Harmful to humans if eaten or touched to infected prawn?
    or it just kills the prawn?

  7. #22

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Not harmful to humans.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

  8. #23

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Well what ever the source we have it the the system now and there's people that have lost there jobs and more because of the virus.

  9. #24

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    There's been a bit in the paper about the prawn farms and bio security qld,the have used a lot of bleach to kill there prawns and the white spot and now there stinking out the neighbourhood and they cant clean things up.

    It turns out that someone released 20,000 kg of peeled green prawns back in 2006 with white spot and the artical said that 87% of prawn tested from over seas had white spot,that's not good at all no prawn should be comeing in from over seas unless its white spot free.

  10. #25

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Where was that article Chris?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  11. #26

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Prawn farmers, crabbers and maybe rec fishers should launch a class action for criminal negligence against bio security qld and the state government
    They've known the disease was present for years in imported prawns and ignored the risks to local stock on the basis it was harmless to humans and the imports were for human consumption.

    WTF?

    Because we all know that NOBODY EVER went to the beach/park with a feed of prawns and the chucked the shells in the drink right?

    Here's a study from 2004 pointing out that white spot was apparent in the imports.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15088963/

    Here's a 2014 submission by prawn farmers asking for the imports to be better managed and specifically citing the use of supermarket prawns as bait as a likely entry point
    http://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore....8&subId=301912

    A report where they exonerate themselves after releasing 20k tons of infected prawns from quarantine
    http://www.igb.gov.au/Documents/iigb...w-part-two.pdf


    A report into how the infected shipment was allowed to be sold

    http://www.igb.gov.au/Documents/iigb...iew-171110.pdf
    Cheers,
    Owen


    The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

  12. #27

    White spot in the Logan.

    It's a bloody disgrace that our bio security has been put at risk by the government dept . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......


  13. #28

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    The problem is, products that come in to the country "processed" that being (say) frozen, cooked and stuff like that, do not need to be "checked" so these low budget countries can ship bags of shit to us, and we bend over and take them, it's a farce really.

  14. #29

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    It was in the courier mail lovey80 but i think Owen has covered them all.

  15. #30

    Re: White spot in the Logan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The problem is, products that come in to the country "processed" that being (say) frozen, cooked and stuff like that, do not need to be "checked" so these low budget countries can ship bags of shit to us, and we bend over and take them, it's a farce really.
    Noelm, if you read the links the frozen and processed products were tested. Out of 20t of fish, 13 samples were taken and found to have 31% positive results for white spot. Mr Biosecurity came to the conclusion that because they were mostly processed (heads/digestive tract removed most with tail on) that it was "highly unlikely" that they would end up in a waterway. And the shipment was released!!!!

    I'm calling bullshit and people in biosecurity including this bloke who wrote the review should get the sack! What mister biosecurity doesn't take into account is that imported green Malaysian/Asian prawns though "table" quality are still cheaper than buying tweed bait. So if one happens to have 1kg of cheap Imported prawns in the freezer (and before this is highly unlikely to even know about white spot) and decides to take the kids on an impromtue fishing trip by the Logan river, why would they stop and spend three to four times that amount buying crap quality tweed bait? The answer is they'd be mad to and would reach for the imported prawns in the freezer.

    I say bugger wasting millions every year in biosecurity officers inspecting and testing prawns for white spot every year and simply ban all Imports of prawns from countries that have white spot.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us