Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never thought i would recommend another Chinese outboard....

Never thought i would recommend another Chinese outboard....

Seems this time of the year Boating Camping and Fishing reduces prices on Chinese outboards, i would go as far to say they may be worthy of buying before Xmass at these prices

resale value wont go much below this in 2-3 years

Parsun 15hp $1250
    next model in price bracket is
    Tohatsu 18hp $2100

just only if Parsun was this cheap everyday of the week they would see sales sky rocket, their would be a huge market of second hand motors and parts...

http://www.bcf.com.au/store/boating/...maryViewsTotal

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Never thought i would recommend another Chinese outboard....

the long shaft is $1250 the short shaft is $1899, but i spose if you raise your transom that dont matter. and if for $1250 you get 12 months maybe a few years outta it then go 4 it. i have the 18hp tohatsu and its the same motor from my dealer as the ones they sell for commercial use with strengthened gearboxes its 40 or so more ccs then a 15 yammie and the extra 3 hp is really noticed. the tohatsu is a simple motor its a little rougher (real 2 stroke) but made to last decades if looked after. ive known my dealer for years and he dont care if i buy, he tells me honestly how much he stands by the motors he sells, unlike yamaha with the cheaper cv and having to pay heaps more to get the better motor, and mercury where you have to pay up to get a sea pro, the tohatsu is the better motor they dont do a cheap engine you get the top of the line for that $2100.00 but to sum up if i only had $1250 and wanting to go boating this crissie or not going boating id buy the parsun for an interem motor...
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Are the powertecs rebadged parsuns?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    the long shaft is $1250 the short shaft is $1899, but i spose if you raise your transom that dont matter. and if for $1250 you get 12 months maybe a few years outta it then go 4 it. i have the 18hp tohatsu and its the same motor from my dealer as the ones they sell for commercial use with strengthened gearboxes its 40 or so more ccs then a 15 yammie and the extra 3 hp is really noticed. the tohatsu is a simple motor its a little rougher (real 2 stroke) but made to last decades if looked after. ive known my dealer for years and he dont care if i buy, he tells me honestly how much he stands by the motors he sells, unlike yamaha with the cheaper cv and having to pay heaps more to get the better motor, and mercury where you have to pay up to get a sea pro, the tohatsu is the better motor they dont do a cheap engine you get the top of the line for that $2100.00 but to sum up if i only had $1250 and wanting to go boating this crissie or not going boating id buy the parsun for an interem motor...
    I'm not rich so i buy used boats and motors i did one time buy a new Tohatsu 18hp as u have back in 2010-2011 it cost me from memory $2099 i bought it for the beginning of summer, i put it on a 2001 Ally Craft Cody 3.75m tinny after summer was over i was selling the boat and the motor no one would pay anywhere near what i paid for the boat $1000 and motor $2099 plus i bought a brand new budget trailer for i think around $950

i paid all up $4049 plus traveling cost to pick it all up, i couldnt even sell the whole rig for $3000, i broke it all down and sold it separately i think from memory i got 1 caller about the 3 month old outboard and that was for something ridiculously like $1250 or $1300 there were just no buyers

with these Chinese outboards priced at $1250 u could use it for 2-3 seasons and still get back a $800-$850 on it compared to paying full price u don't lose out on much cost wise

i loved that little 18hp Tohatsu on the 3.75m hull it was scary fast one out, full throttle haha i rarely went full throttle and the hull was rated to 20hp, i would love another 18hp Tohatsu but i don't think its worth buying at over $2000 again

The BCF LS 15hp is almost half its daily listed price now if u look at this Chinese 30hp outboard that is 4 years old its retail value is $1390 where as a Yamaha of this year and HP size would be selling at $2000+ so if your able to buy a Chinese outboard at almost half the daily price i reckon it might just be a good deal

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maxus-Yam...IAAOSwxKtX~Z53

Ausfish Silver Member

gazza bro if no1 is gonna give you good resell value for a fairly well known tohatsu then,, just my thoughts could be wrong but whos gonna pay up for a 2nd hand parsun.. and man it sucks no1 would give you good resale value me personally i buy a motor to keep until it dies i dont buy it to sell it and get my money back as you never truly get your money back... but im with you bro i was looking at a 9.8 parsun for a little creek tinnie setup and would save about 500 compared to a tohy.. and i agree there is a market for these cheaper motors i was lucky to pay up for my tohy but mind you its my first new engine in 20 years ive had $400 bangers off gumtree most my life.. wateva gets ya on the water i spose..

The other good thing about the 18hp Toh is it fills the gap in the market between 15 and 25hp. Very hard to find a 20hp motor these days, so if you want that bit more grunt above 15 the Tohatsu 18 is the go too donk.

I dont ever hear stories about well kept parsuns failing so in those terms its a really good buy if 15 hp is all you need.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Ausfish Silver Member

yup the tohy is what some1 who only wants a 15hp takes when thinking a few hp and ccs extra wont go astray and the adverage small tinnie most guys go for with a mate and fish gear are usually rated to a 15hp and it aint to hard with some boat dealers to rerate the hull to 18 before delivery,, and yup i thought about the 20/25hp range odes but it was more then i needed so the 18 was perfect.. and once again i hear ya gazz im not rich either as i said 400 bangers off gumtree all my life and if a parsun or cheaper brand gets you on the water then better then a 2nd hand for reliability..

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    yup the tohy is what some1 who only wants a 15hp takes when thinking a few hp and ccs extra wont go astray and the adverage small tinnie most guys go for with a mate and fish gear are usually rated to a 15hp and it aint to hard with some boat dealers to rerate the hull to 18 before delivery,, and yup i thought about the 20/25hp range odes but it was more then i needed so the 18 was perfect.. and once again i hear ya gazz im not rich either as i said 400 bangers off gumtree all my life and if a parsun or cheaper brand gets you on the water then better then a 2nd hand for reliability..
    Crickey! I thought I was pissed then I spent a good 20 minutes deciphering this!

Edit: spellcheck spelt deciphering for me......

MERRY XMAS TO ALL!

Odes and up the creek, i loved that little 18hp Tohatsu only problem was i upgrade me whole rig to a 5m Quintrex so the Toh'ie was of no use

The tohatsu has a big CC block i am told compared to the 15hp models, i will take a look now..... i have a memory of a gold fish i remember what food is but i cant remember old mates hook from yesterday haha

Tohatsu 18hp 294cc
    Mercury 15hp Super (i believe is the same motor as above)
    Yamaha 15hp 246cc
    Mariner 15hp two stroke 262cc
    Mariner 15hp Marathon 262cc
    Parsun 15hp 246cc

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla1 View Post
    Crickey! I thought I was pissed then I spent a good 20 minutes deciphering this!

Edit: spellcheck spelt deciphering for me......

MERRY XMAS TO ALL!
    I can and did read it i hope it wasn't meant in the wrong way as to the way i write and spell, i was illiterate for a good portion of my 35 years...

Ausfish Silver Member

all good gazza i always get told about my spelling i never did well at school and left when i was 15,and magilla 1 if you have a few more beers it will all make sense lol. naa sorry for bad spelling i do my best haha..

Ausfish Silver Member

yeah gazza tohy is top of its class, even though they cheat a lil and it it 3 hp more then the competitions 15hp motors... and it will be the same for me i will need to upgrade as for now its goin on a 3.5m hull and just for day trips and not to much weight,, in the future i will go about a 4m hull and need more hp maybe a 30hp.. i would go a 30hp tohy as i love em, but its fun to get different brands, i would love my 1st yammie..

Ausfish Silver Member

yeah the merc and tohy are same donk just the 15 merc is a restricted 18 tohy (easily unrestricted) my mate/dealer put his 18hp tohy against a 20hp yammie, and he said the tohy beat it.. dont quote me i wasnt there lol

Correct me if I'm wrong? But aren't parson just a direct copy of yamaha 2 strokes but made in China.?
    I know a lot of parts are interchangeable.

I'd happy own a pardon for a tinny. Not as if your 100km offshore with a 15hp and need ultimate reliability.

The price of a 15-20hp motor who cares about resale value. You coukd buy 2 parsons for 1 other brand,