Thread: touch screen car radio

touch screen car radio

Not sure where I can put this so I'm going to put it in electronics.
    I have a 2L subaru Forester diesel and the sound system is a nightmare when it comes to bluetooth connection with my phone. When it's connected the sounds is ok (pretty crappy speaker TBH) but it drops out constantly while on phone calls or when I am playing audio files through the system.
    • Would you say it's normal for a phone to disconnect like this, is that par for the course with bluetooth?
    • So I was considering a touchscreen job that I would assume should drop into the dash.
    • I have a rear camera connected to another screen on the dash but it should have a simple connection into the back of the new unit probably an RCA connection I suppose?
    • Are there any brands that you would recommend or steer clear of?
    • help appreciated

regards jim

Re: touch screen car radio

I gave the factory stereo in my cruiser the heave ho for these exact reasons. Fitted a pioneer which while still not perfect is heaps better. The camera input is typically rca. Only issue would be if your camera is wireless. Another thing to factor in is an interface if you have steering wheel controls.

Put a Pioneer big screen unit in my hilux dont think I have had it more then two years and I am starting to have trouble with it. Having trouble with my reverse camera and bluetooth playing up. Might be just a firmware update and camera might be screwed but I love having the big screen unit in the truck. Watch movies on it, easy to navigate etc with touchscreen. Even though having problems with this, if I have to change unit I would try another brand and still keep similar setup.
    I am guessing you will update speakers if you change the head unit over? Highly recommend putting splits in front . Connecting rear camera to these double din units is straightforward and one less device hanging from your windscreen.

One last thing I had a pioneer remote from my last system that works well with the new unit and if I had to shop for another unit remote would be high on my priority.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
    Put a Pioneer big screen unit in my hilux dont think I have had it more then two years and I am starting to have trouble with it. Having trouble with my reverse camera and bluetooth playing up. Might be just a firmware update and camera might be screwed but I love having the big screen unit in the truck. Watch movies on it, easy to navigate etc with touchscreen. Even though having problems with this, if I have to change unit I would try another brand and still keep similar setup.
    I am guessing you will update speakers if you change the head unit over? Highly recommend putting splits in front . Connecting rear camera to these double din units is straightforward and one less device hanging from your windscreen.
    One last thing I had a pioneer remote from my last system that works well with the new unit and if I had to shop for another unit remote would be high on my priority.
    Why the remote Steve? For the passenger I'm guessing?

Or if you already have the camera attached go a simple single din Bluetooth unit, but make sure you get one with an external microphone. I have an old sony xplod I must have had this in the ute for a good three or more years, never missed a beat. I have it hooked up to a nice 800w amp and some good speakers and a sub and it sounds very nice.
    what a sad sad AB

I use one of these in my d max works well http://www.digoptions.com.au/in-dash...baru/forester/
    92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU,96 MU Wizard, 2014 MUX, 2019 DMAX
    Australia's loudest MU
    MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
    If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Why the remote Steve? For the passenger I'm guessing?
    I wouldn't do a system in a vehicle without a remote again, main reason is its easier to use the remote for say volume and track changes rather then either the touch screen or buttons on the unit.
    I leave my remote in the cup holder in the front of our centre fridge, can pick it up and adjust volume and track without taking my eyes of the road.
    And ours is in our Cruiser Ute, touch screens are horid to use off-road.

Cheers
    Corry

Sent from my SM-T810 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    I wouldn't do a system in a vehicle without a remote again, main reason is its easier to use the remote for say volume and track changes rather then either the touch screen or buttons on the unit.
    I leave my remote in the cup holder in the front of our centre fridge, can pick it up and adjust volume and track without taking my eyes of the road.
    And ours is in our Cruiser Ute, touch screens are horid to use off-road.

Cheers
    Corry

Sent from my SM-T810 using Ausfish mobile app
    gotcha, thanks

Re remote I find it safer to change songs and change volume while driving with remote then having to reach over and do it physically on unit. With the remote it doesnt take long to remember the buttons on it so I keep it near on the centre console and can easily operate it without taking eyes off the road.

if you go to autobarns they have all of the plub tails etc so you can buy whatever unit you like (i got a double din much cheaper from SCA) and then got all the oig tail adapters from autobarn *because sca didnt stock them) I also got an antenna from JBHIFI (mine was broken, others didnt stiock) which also have a good range of audio head units. Just go a double din id say a sony or similar. but the plug tails are the go otherwise you will be there for ages trying to splice it in. Also you may need some removal tools for your old unit. (shaped bits of metal to disengage) some cars have screws some have clips and you need some metal tools to pull out. if you buy the head unit from a place that has a fitting bay but you just want to install yurself they might quickly just disengage for you with the tools. have all the cowling removed first.