Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Lowrance "Service"

    I have a Lowrance Elite 7 Hdi which is about 18 months old. It stopped booting up properly and the right and down arrow buttons were not working properly. I contacted Navico and was informed that that they no longer repaired the units once out of warranty but if I would like to send them $574 they would send me a refurbished one. This really P'd me of as I dabble with computers and mobile phones and it seemed ridiculous that some thing as simple as this could not be sorted for a $100 or so. Anyway I decided to have a go myself, the booting issue was solved by a hard reset I then did a firmware update and everything was ok again. This left the buttons to fix, I removed the back of the unit and removed the motherboard to find a bit of corrosion under where the buttons pressed on the board, sprayed on a bit of contact cleaner and removed the corrosion. Put it all back together again plugged it in and away it went. The whole process took around an hour. So for $36 for a set of torx screwdrivers and a tin of contact cleaner I saved myself $540. I took a few pictures and anyone who needs to pull a Lowrance apart let me know

  2. #2
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    You may have found your calling!

    Where are you located?

    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

  3. #3

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Had similar with a 2 month old Lowrance VHF set. Dog chewed through the mic cord. Got offered a similar deal but fixed it myself. ..not as well as yourself obviously because it has failed after 12 months.
    Should have taken the deal...

  4. #4

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Onya Michael!
    Shows moisture can get in.
    Any one got a totally waterproof sounder?

  5. #5

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    Onya Michael!
    Shows moisture can get in.
    Any one got a totally waterproof sounder?
    Yep. Comes in the form of a house brick and string. Only waterproof one I saw in 20 years. Anything else will eventually let water in. Best option is to keep the stuff dry. The water gets in a couple of different common ways IMO from what I have seen. The first is salt crystals forming and pushing the seals out around buttons. The second is due to rapid thermal changes creating a vacuum in the unit and sucking water in - either through a chart door or past a seal. The most common causes of this are the punter that that likes to hose everything when he gets home, heavy rain or a big wall of spray hitting a unit that has been sitting in the sun and heated up. The water induced cooling just sucks the moisture in. Over the years there have been a few radar scanners that were specials for this in the big tropical storms as well.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  6. #6

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wright View Post
    I have a Lowrance Elite 7 Hdi which is about 18 months old. It stopped booting up properly and the right and down arrow buttons were not working properly. I contacted Navico and was informed that that they no longer repaired the units once out of warranty but if I would like to send them $574 they would send me a refurbished one. This really P'd me of as I dabble with computers and mobile phones and it seemed ridiculous that some thing as simple as this could not be sorted for a $100 or so. Anyway I decided to have a go myself, the booting issue was solved by a hard reset I then did a firmware update and everything was ok again. This left the buttons to fix, I removed the back of the unit and removed the motherboard to find a bit of corrosion under where the buttons pressed on the board, sprayed on a bit of contact cleaner and removed the corrosion. Put it all back together again plugged it in and away it went. The whole process took around an hour. So for $36 for a set of torx screwdrivers and a tin of contact cleaner I saved myself $540. I took a few pictures and anyone who needs to pull a Lowrance apart let me know


    Well done Michael. Lucky you got to it before the corrosion killed the tracks all together. To the best of my knowledge, Navico has never "repaired" anything. If a software update or reset doesn't fix it they will issue a new one if under warranty or as you discovered, attempt to keep the customer on side through an exchange program.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  7. #7

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    I had GME G-Comb in a boat I bought a couple of years ago, it failed and they couldn't do enough to get it fixed,best service ever and all free of charge. I've had lowrance for years and when the Elite failed I bought a HDS 10 to replace it but it will be the last Lowrance I buy.



    Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

  8. #8

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Also there is no waterproofing as such just a rubber gasket around the outside.


    Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

  9. #9
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Michael

    what are you like at clearing sunburnt screens?
    What could go wrong.......................

  10. #10

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Never done one


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

  11. #11

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Chimo I have just had just had a quick check and you are probably up for a new screen from what I've seen. In itself its not a big job and they're as cheap as chips just a matter of getting the right one


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

  12. #12

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Did a bit more research. Google furuno fish finder LCD display how to repair diy


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

  13. #13

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wright View Post
    Also there is no waterproofing as such just a rubber gasket around the outside.


    Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app
    Aren't / Weren't these units filled with nitrogen to prevent water ingress?

  14. #14

    Re: Lowrance "Service"

    Quote Originally Posted by Coontakinta View Post
    Aren't / Weren't these units filled with nitrogen to prevent water ingress?
    They haven't been nitrogen filled since the old large black cased units - lms-350 type vintage. It was a dismal failure anyway. We had people on their 5th and 6th units for fogging up.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us