Thread: Brisbane River Jew

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brisbane River Jew

Had a mate from work who had been seeing all the pics of the big fish lately and he wanted to come out for a crack at one.
    Headed out Friday night to the mouth of the Brisbane river with all intentions of chasing salmon with the hope of a jew.
    Couldn't find a mullet or silver biddy, threw the net for almost an hour looking for them, plenty of herring, garfish and prawns (they were either nice big ones or small ones). The garfish don't keep real well in the tank i use, so only kept the last one I caught as I had no mullet.
    Found a spot over near the port where a few decent arches were showing up, anchor down and up and down and up and a few more times, wind was not playing the game and made it hard to fish where I wanted.
    Eventually the tide started pushing through a bit harder and we sat better. Deployed the garfish first, setting up the second rod and and it went off. From the take and the run I guessed Jew but it dropped the bait. I had only used a single hook through the nose, normally i run a snell rig and have a second hook down closer to the tail, right where the fish had grabbed the bait, was a bit dirty at myself that I hadn't run the snell from the start.
    Garfish was dead, had nothing else that size so butterflyed the garfish and sent it back down on a snell rig!
    A couple hours later with not even a bite, we got 3 catfish one after another, whilst the third was coming in the garfish took off. It didn't act like a jew at first, but once I felt the weight I gave the rod to my mate to have a go. The fight wouldn't have lasted any longer than 5 minutes but I think he ended up being more worn out than the fish! For someone who has never really fished before he took it pretty well. Anyway, I think the photos suggest how happy he was with the fish. It was just shy of the meter mark at 99cm, not a bad way to open your account on jewies. Whilst holding the fish he suggested the weight was about 20kg, must have been the adrenline, or the late night, it went 8kg on the dot.
    Not another bite after the jew after hanging around for another couple hours so headed home.
    Was a great night on the river.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 99 26-11-2016.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	114854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 99 2 26-11-2016.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	114853

Re: Brisbane River Jew

Great fish, mate.

Cuzza

Your on a good run, well done.

Nice jewie...your mate will be hooked now ...!!!

Well done mate,

I think the adrenalin does funny things to the brain! got to love the grin though!!