Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Harris Sharcat 23” Project

Bruce Harris Shark Cat 23” Project

Managed to put myself into another project, Bruce Harris Sharkcat 23”.
    Although I promised myself not to reno another boat, here I am again at it however let me say that I am excited.

I was happy with my current ride but some itch come to me to look for something bigger than6mts. I have no idea why, just couldn’t scratch it away.
    I wanted something cheap to initially purchase to restore however a solid hull and reliable modern engine, no rotting timber or osmosis, stable and safe on the water, reasonably cheap to run, hardtop with top clears, not full hard enclosure cabin, no centre console type boat.
    Sharkcat.jpg

Purchased at a reasonably low price.
    Solid floor. Hull ischecked by a surveyor, no visible sign of osmosis or any other problem.
    Very thick and ugly layers of antifouling causing significant drag.
    I am happy with the structural condition of the boat, needs a full paint job to bring to its glory.
    Yellow top makes me think it was a rescue boat at some stage. Side of the hull shows through the scratches that boat was deep red colour at some stage.

An old inboard diesel engine 200hp ad41b at 5000hrs.
    Checked by a mechanic and found to be in good reliable condition.
    New turbo and serviced recently. Oils and coolant system checked to be in good condition.

Dual prop leg I thought would be the weakest link of the deal, however checked twice to be without any issue.
    Has a thick layer of antifouling on the leg to be stripped.

I inspected the boat twice and gone through everything I can think of including professionals’ opinions, as well as a sea trial.
    Available floor space inside is unbelievable, I can play soccer with my kids no problem.
    Licensed for 10 people, can run my whole family at once I guess.
    Self draining hull is a bonus.
    Lockable cabin, just a shell inside.
    Old HDS 8 Gen1 useless sounder, wet box transducer who knows what it is. Some very old chartplotter.
    Working raymarine auto pilot is a bonus.
    Late model vhf radio unit.
    Reelax outriggers and a manual down rigger.
    There is a working electric windlass on the side of the boat, great for pulling crab pots as well as anchor. Thinking it will be suitable for deep dropping if I can somehow fabricate a part to make the diameter of the windlass larger.
    Additional stainless roof covering almost all the way to the back of the boat.
    Large esky in the middle of the boat, needs to be relocated to free up more space.
    3x bilge pumps all working.
    Large livebait tank working with fresh water pick up.
    3 battery setup with isolator.
    All lights working, interior night lighting leds.
    All safety gear, epirb, flares, fenders, etc…

Frankly I was sceptical of a diesel engine performance and had a “should I not go through with the purchase” moment briefly during the sea trial.
    I am more used to a fast going over powered boat as my current 6mt 200hp Caribbean.
    Sea trial showed cruising speed of 35kmh at 3400rpm. I was desperately hoping for 40kmh.
    Removal of antifouling will hopefully get me close to that 40kmh.
    Diesel is noisier than my Yamaha outboard, need to dynamat the engine cover to reduce noise level and possibly find a way to introduce fresh air from the side of hull rather than engine cover.

Boat was located in Gold Coast and I drove her all the way to Scarborough yesterday.
    Took lazy 4hrs including fuelling and all that 6knts zones along the way as well as couple of wrong turns.

Weather was just over 15knts all the way, fairly protected along the islands but choppy seas after mud island.
    Hull was cutting through the water beautifully.
    Didn’t had to adjust power at all, set the speed and forget about it type of feeling with diesel.
    I am impressed with the torque of diesel actually.
    Turbo seems to spool after 3000rpm as the sound of turbine kicking in.

Boat goes onto plane very quickly, I guess it is the efficiency of being a cat.
    Certainly a heavy boat. Everywhere I look has an inch thick glass.
    Not exactly sure of fuel burn. I put in 200lts of diesel just to be sure, somewhere along 75lts consumed I think. Should get better as the hull painted.
    Roughly equals about 25litres per hour.

Plan is to find a secondhand asap trailer and get her out of water immediately.
    If I can source the trailer quickly I will be stripping her during Xmas-NY.
    Hoping to spend a week with my labourer/painter to prep the hull/gunnels/dash ready forpainting.
    Spend another week for painting and put everything back together.
    Than I can go in and do what I am good at which is motor/boat trimming the interior business.
    New electronics to purchase and install next. All out on Furuno this time.

Currently Iam only using the port side fuel tank. Starboard tank has clearly contamination/leaking issue.
    Looks like floor was cut to replace the tanks a long while ago. I can clearly see a raised section on top of the tanks than glassed in.
    Will get a professional fiberglass person to cut these sections out to get access to tanks and possibly make it a hinged lid out of the cut off rather than glassing backin. Not sure if floor has to be one piece for structural integrity.

How good is that rubber fender thing runs all along the side of the hull, no stress about scratching the hull. Don’t understand by you don’t see that on more boats.

When cruising fine mist of water seems to be hitting the back deck, not a big issue but I don’t see any solution to this.

Overall I need to go out couple of fishing trips to get warmer to her and fully committed.
    The way I see is that this boat gives me more fishing days as rougher weather margin is certainly increased.
    It is a slower ride however very comfortable, put a drink on dash and it wont spill. Sort of having a calming effect rather than usual racing feeling from spot to spot.
    At rough weather condition I will be able to go faster than my current boat.
    No more back pain and sore shoulders/neck from rough ride and fighting with boat constantly adjusting power. 4 hours ride in this cat and I didn’t even feel tired.
    I will be able to take out the family and enjoy boating together more often.
    I would have love to get twin modern 2010+ outboard setup but I have no intension to spend big money on boats, it was either reliable diesel sharkcat or old school two strokes with heavy fuel consumption.
    Diesel consumption is very reasonable for the size and weight of the boat.

One problem I had during the long trip is that leg trim stopped working. It was definitely working and tested in my previous 2 inspection. Hoping for a loose cable or corrosion somewhere, need to test but at least it stuck all the way down.

I will keep updating this thread with progress hopefully.
    Have lots of questions as I am introduced to many new things with this boat; driving a catamaran, dealing with diesel, hydraulic cables everywhere, etc….

Max

Re: Bruce Harris Sharcat 23” Project

They were a good old boat, not many diesel ones left now, most have been converted to outboards, the duo prop stern drive might be an issue, especially if moored, they went OK, but are getting on in age now, if/when you find a trailer, be very aware that a standard cat trailer, with a guide ring enclosed at the rear will not work with the stern drive, the leg will hit the rear section and cause substantial damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    if/when you find a trailer, be very aware that a standard cat trailer, with a guide ring enclosed at the rear will not work with the stern drive, the leg will hit the rear section and cause substantial damage.
    I know what you mean Noelm, need a trailer tunnel guide without end ring.
    Something like below pic I think.
    I guess ring section can always be removed/modified if needed from a normal outboard cat trailer

Sharkcat7.jpg

Yep, easy enough to just cut the rear section out, as long as you know to do it before using the trailer.

Ye i saw that for sale it was a cheap buy. I thought the floor must have been buggered but sounds like i was wrong.
    Good buy enjoy her!

With that much tourque and large prop do you think the clean hull will help? I dunno. Cheap because motor and leg expensive to replace down track.. Wonder how big a steyer you could fit in there

Quote Originally Posted by Dean1 View Post
    Ye i saw that for sale it was a cheap buy. I thought the floor must have been buggered but sounds like i was wrong.
    Good buy enjoy her!
    Thanks Dean, got her at a good price. No issue with the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    With that much tourque and large prop do you think the clean hull will help? I dunno. Cheap because motor and leg expensive to replace down track.. Wonder how big a steyer you could fit in there
    Antifoul is very thick. Removal and painting will reduce drag and hopefully introduce few more kms.
    I thought about adding pods and twin outboard set up hard but current diesel engine shows no issue, it would be shame not to give it a go.
    Not sure what "steyer" is?

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    Thanks Dean, got her at a good price. No issue with the floor.

Antifoul is very thick. Removal and painting will reduce drag and hopefully introduce few more kms.
    I thought about adding pods and twin outboard set up hard but current diesel engine shows no issue, it would be shame not to give it a go.
    Not sure what "steyer" is?
    modern lightweight marine diesel. more hp same weight. but cheaper than yanmar etc. cirka 40k though for engine in leg

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    modern lightweight marine diesel. more hp same weight. but cheaper than yanmar etc. cirka 40k though for engine in leg
    I see what you mean, steyr marine engines. There is a lot of space under the engine cover.
    They look lightweight and cheaper at $20k for 280hp new, about 200kgs lighter than current Volvo.
    Saw a Fiat Diesel 330hp with low 800hrs for $10k, good power increase.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fiat-330h...AOSw%7EotWb506

I don't see replacing with more powerful or any diesel in the future though.
    Current diesel is good and reliable already, cheap to run which is the main reason for this purchase.
    Attaching pods and used low hrs 200hp four stroke outboards is the way to go if more power required.

Nice cat mate, good find. Have fun with the resto, I'm having a ball doing mine. Nothing beats a good cat!

Bruce Harris Sharcat 23” Project

Someone was doing another 23' SC Volvo diesel resto on here a while back PROS, 12 or even 18 months ago. Same model I/O donk from memory too.

Don't know if he finished it or not, can't recall.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Gosh this brought back some great memories. This one I grew up on. It was an '86, we bought it from Currumbin Air Sea Rescue, hence the colours! Dad sold it in 1991, it went to Bribie but from there I dunno. Great hulls, the best trailerable in my opinion, until the tunnel slap gets to you on the troll in those conditions where you just can't bear off by ten degrees, say when you gotta get back to the bait. Gotta be a slight negative somewhere though I guess! Amazing boat downhill and in chop.

On yours, the turbo will will likely be getting wet, hence the replacement. We also had to replace a cracked tank, starboard side. The compartment was full of fuel. Congrats, great boat. I've only been on one with the Volvo diesel. Served a purpose, but they do genuinely sparkle with some horsepower.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Went to see her today and start up the engine, fiddle around a bit to get to know the cat.
    All went very well.
    Good news is leg trim works again.
    Cant wait for a bit of better weather to get out for fishing.

Getting close to sourcing a trailer, hopefully will be out of water before Xmas so sanding can start.

One question I haven't got an answer is; do I need to prime the salt water pick up canister (cooling system) everytime before starting engine when I get the boat out on trailer?
    Someone warned me about this saying inboard engines require the canister to be primed before starting the engine if they are removed from water, otherwise impellor will be cooked?

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    ... One question I haven't got an answer is; do I need to prime the salt water pick up canister (cooling system) everytime before starting engine when I get the boat out on trailer?
    Someone warned me about this saying inboard engines require the canister to be primed before starting the engine if they are removed from water, otherwise impellor will be cooked?
    Nah Max, that's a load of rubbish. Whether inboard (shaft drive), or inboard-outboard (like yours is), they don't need to be primed. If they do, it means there is something very wrong with the salt (raw) water system.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app