Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is galvanizing really that expensive?

Re: Is galvanizing really that expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello All,

thanks for all the replies.
    My latest thoughts are to refabricate in stainless steel.
    Yes I know, wow!
    Given the cost of galvanizing it is not as outrageous as you might think.
    I am looking at about $600 in materials with welding etc. as extra.
    According to Google welding SS to mild steel is a standard and simple procedure.
    I know that there are issues about dissimilar metals and corrosion but I am confident that careful use of nylon spacers etc. will solve that issue.
    I know that I can get the job done economically using Dura-gal but I was hoping for a longer-lasting solution that would maintain re-sale value of my rig.
    Can anybody comment on the suitability of SS as a structural material in terms of flex, fatigue etc.
    Stainless Steel is ******* pricey mate i just bought 12mm bolts 12 pieces with nuts and washers $30 than i went to another store i purchased 8mm 6 pieces a little longer around 80mm each with nuts and washers i was charged $40 i would really like to see how much a trailer is going to cost you...

Why not build it from aluminium? u can buy a cheap MIG welder from Ebay that runs a DC drive motor and also purchase a spool gun from Ebay, connect 5 wires, connect the gas hose and u have a MIG spool gun welder for aluminium welding

Aluminium can be purchased on Ebay for cheap in full 6 meter or 6.5 meter lengths, some lengths are ridiculously priced like $40 for 6.5m

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello All,

thanks for all the replies.
    My latest thoughts are to refabricate in stainless steel.
    Yes I know, wow!
    Given the cost of galvanizing it is not as outrageous as you might think.
    I am looking at about $600 in materials with welding etc. as extra.
    According to Google welding SS to mild steel is a standard and simple procedure.
    I know that there are issues about dissimilar metals and corrosion but I am confident that careful use of nylon spacers etc. will solve that issue.
    I know that I can get the job done economically using Dura-gal but I was hoping for a longer-lasting solution that would maintain re-sale value of my rig.
    Can anybody comment on the suitability of SS as a structural material in terms of flex, fatigue etc.
    There was a thread here a while ago about the stainless trailers that were an option from Kevlacat (I think). Heavy gauge is easy to work with and can be welded to mild steel no worries using a stick welder and the right rods. Lighter gauge stuff can be stick welded but if you are a welding Muppet like myself, it won't be pretty. Can't comment on any issues regarding movement or fatigue.

The problem with stainless is where you weld, it becomes very brittle (and the weld goes all kind of rusty and looks like crap, it needs to be treated) very easy to weld with a home handy man stick welder though.

I use SS a lot in my business and about 40 years ago I decided to learn how to tig and stick weld the stuff..never regretted it because in the right place its a great thing to use...but unless its prepared,finished and done well with the correct grade of stainless it is expensive and doesnt do what you want it to do period..I would get some advice from a local pro welder for sure..dont just ask him how to do it..ask him if he would do it.

I have seen SS trailers for sale online on Ebay and Gumtree i would imagine they need to be 316 i priced 2 meters of 316 angle the other week and it was like $170! its crazy priced

Be careful the right grade of stainless steel is used.
    Stainless steel work hardens with normal use, it will eventually fracture at the highest stress locations.
    Design can overcome a lot of stress issues but that always comes at extra cost and effort.
    316 stainless steel is best for marine environments, but would pay to check it's work hardening ratings.
    Jack.

Forget SS, Aluminum is the only way to go, especially in bigger boats where the weight savings can be substantial. SS as inveratta said has to be treated after welding and is subject to cold working which can lead to a sudden failure if not engineered correctly.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Hello All,
    problem is now solved.
    The local trailer repair guy manufactured the entire back end of the trailer and welded that onto the existing A frame.
    New mudguards as well.
    Re-used axle,springs, skids, tunnel guides etc.
    Made from Duragal and now coated in Tectyl with the stringers flushed with fisholene mixed with petrol.
    I will keep on top of the Tectyl and hopefully have many years of service.
    I know that tectyl works but man is it ugly!.
    Very reasonable $$$$ and excellent service.

Photos bud

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Hello All,
    I have just spent the last couple of hours cleaning off the old Tectyl and grinding rust off the back of the trailer.
    After nearly four years I am pleased with how good it looked.
    Most of the duragal was like new.
    Rusty around welded brackets, but you would expect that.
    All in all, a good result.
    Re-coated with Tectyl.

My next trailer will be made of unobtainium.
    Cheap, light, no corrosion, good welding, soft to drill, no carbon footprint and no fatigue issues.
    Tell him he's dreamin….