Thread: Availability of Johnson parts

Availability of Johnson parts

Hi Everyone.
    i'm looking at purchasing a late 90's model Johnson. The motor looks in good condition and is well priced. My concern though is given johnsons haven't been manufactured for a number of years parts will be harder to come by and there will be no dealer network. I know there are still a lot of boats being pushed by johnsons so are my concerns warranted?

Cheers

Re: Availability of Johnson parts

Parts should be no problem, even some common parts are available by after market companies, I prefer genuine parts personally.

Where are you?
    The guy who services my Evinrudes has all sorts of stuff and can usually find what is needed.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks guys.
    chimo, I live on the northside of Brisbane but do a fair bit of driving around for work so anywhere in the greater Brisbane area is fine.

cheers

If its a carby model parts are readily avaliable, here in Sydney the main dealer is Hunts Marine who stock a lot of parts if not on hand they get them in the next day

if its a FITCH i wouldn't touch it JMO

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    If its a carby model parts are readily avaliable, here in Sydney the main dealer is Hunts Marine who stock a lot of parts if not on hand they get them in the next day

Thanks Gazza,
    it's a carby model. I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishizzle View Post
    Thanks Gazza,
    it's a carby model. I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and buy it.
    Something to keep in mind mate, Johnson and Evinrude i think shared parts on just about all there motors i have owned they are the same just a different lick of paint, Johnson was dropped when they moved to E-Tec and Evinrude is still around today they'll be around tomorrow and a lot longer yet

keep this in mind Evinrude was the first outboard ever made and they are still here today

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

Johnson's were never made in a Ficht variant Gazza. Even right at the end they were conventional two strokes. They then went to over to Johnzuki's.

I stand corrected. Shows how much the timeline history on omc I read was worth

Wouldn't get to down on yourself Scottar as your one of the very knowledgeable blokes on here who goes out of his way on here to help out, and the internet is so full of BS and misinformation now day's I reckon that it''s a bloody joke. Some people see the written word and take it as gospel just because it's written without knowing the author. People can write something about someone and my God it's true because it's on the internet. Now day's before I attempt any repair by doing something I haven't done I try to get 90% agreeing on as many different websites as I can, and I have still been caught out by misinformation.Bit off topic i know, yada yada..

Epc.brp.com for parts catalog for all OMC/BRP parts back to 1968.

Here's a nice little story about the history.
    http://www.provenion.de/1-1-Home.html

Check out success? story / history.

A few Johnson's were FICHTs, not many though, they decided that they would all be Evinrudes, and Johnson's would be carby motors, then just to throw you off the track, the Suzuki business surfaced, didn't last all that long though, who knows why!

Turns out (from what I have been able to find - for what it's worth) that Johnson Ficht's were in production for two years after which Johnson went back to being carbed only and Evinrude had ficht in some of the range.