Thread: Bigger Catches between Jacobs Well to Bribie Island - Land Based

Bigger Catches between Jacobs Well to Bribie Island - Land Based

Hey guys,

After reading this forum regularly I know some of you are pretty keen to keep your spots to yourself, but I've had enough of catching small fish and going home empty handed most of the time, so im hoping some of you can share your local knowledge and help me out here!

I will be land based, generally using bait not lures and Im keen to do either estuary, beach or river/canal.....I just want to catch some bigger fish!!

Ive recently tried Pumicestone Passage with very poor results, is this place just overfished now?? Also tried Hornibrook Highway Bridge (Southside) but poor results here too.

Bait tips also welcome!

Re: Bigger Catches between Jacobs Well to Bribie Island - Land Based

Got a yabby pump. If you don't - get one and learn to use it. Best all round estuary bait for SEQ in my books. Other than that, give some serious consideration to lure fishing - soft plastics for flathead or small hard bodies on structure for flathead and bream ( a set of waders helps here as well)

Right now is a great time to chase bull sharks. Great fun and edible if desired. There are plenty of land based spots where you can catch sharks close to Brisbane.

Head out across the mudflats at low tide at the end of Haysmouth Pde. Some decent fatties and occasional jewie. Also sharks in there. Often get good size bream also.

Makes little difference where you are, a "tourist" type of fisherman will mostly catch small fish and unwanted vermin, and by tourist I mean, middle of the day, in an easily accessible spot, a packet of black prawns, a 4/0 hook on 30lb line and a big sinker tossed as far out as possible, on the other side of the coin, the "thinking" fisherman has his live Nippers or Worms, fishes where the fish are likely to be, and rigs to suit the fish available, a thinker, fishes for Flathead or Bream or Whiting, but rarely all three at once....these land based fish will be in different places at different times of the tide, and require a different approach each!

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Got a yabby pump. If you don't - get one and learn to use it. Best all round estuary bait for SEQ in my books. Other than that, give some serious consideration to lure fishing - soft plastics for flathead or small hard bodies on structure for flathead and bream ( a set of waders helps here as well)
    Its on my xmas wish list , but seriously I'll have one before the year is up. I've done it with mates before, but again im not sure where to even go!

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    Head out across the mudflats at low tide at the end of Haysmouth Pde. Some decent fatties and occasional jewie. Also sharks in there. Often get good size bream also.
    OK so it seems I was at the wrong end of the bridge when I was up that way the last couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Makes little difference where you are, a "tourist" type of fisherman will mostly catch small fish and unwanted vermin, and by tourist I mean, middle of the day, in an easily accessible spot, a packet of black prawns, a 4/0 hook on 30lb line and a big sinker tossed as far out as possible, on the other side of the coin, the "thinking" fisherman has his live Nippers or Worms, fishes where the fish are likely to be, and rigs to suit the fish available, a thinker, fishes for Flathead or Bream or Whiting, but rarely all three at once....these land based fish will be in different places at different times of the tide, and require a different approach each!
    Haha!! Im going to say I am somewhere in-between. I often head out as a tourist for a mid-day session, mainly because its convenient, but im not afraid to off the beaten track to get to a good spot In fact the less people the better when im fishing!

But, im often camping close to the beach so always do a few hours at dusk from the surf or the rocks. I always try to use fresh/live bait where possible too.....and my set up is generally on-point but im still learning all the right rigs over here.

I should point out im a pomme, my first 10 yrs as a fisherman was freshwater and different species, so Salt Water fishing is very new to me. I've lived here 7 years but only the last 6 months got back into it.

Yabbies can be had at most sand/mud flat systems in SEQ somewhere in the system. I haven't fished northside for a lot of years but used to spend a fair bit of time on the flats to the south of Toorbul - plenty around there. Never tried around the Pine river(s) but would be very surprised if there were no banks up that way. Southside there are banks at Lota / Thornside (Tingalpa Creek), Point Halloran (Victoria Point) and Cabbage tree point that I know of but there are sure to be others that are accessible without a craft of sorts. Most of these places aren't a bad spot to start fishing on a run in tide either. Bream and whiting will move up onto these banks as the tide makes - even more so if there is a small gutter or creek giving them slightly deeper access up into the bank.