Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reports of Southern Bay Sandies.

Any reports of Southern Bay Sandies.

Morning All,
    I bought some new crab pots from Crab n gear at the start of the month, and I was wondering if anyone has been getting any Sandies in the Southern Bay yet. I have a couple of retired mates who are free to do a trip next week.

Cheers.
    Scott

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Any reports of Southern Bay Sandies.

I think the water temps are getting closer to where they need to be. In sayng that there will probably be more females and undersized crabs than legal males at the moment. But you should still be able to get a feed.
    Muddies seem to be getting more active as well.

May not help u much Scott but went crabbing off Scarborough a week ago and only a few female sandies about. Not a single male. Fished for a bit and only caught a couple of what looked like thresher shark pups. Local pro crabber after grumbling a bit about feeding his family reckoned end of September they should come on.

Hey Jackson4300, is temperature the key to sandies coming into shallower areas of the Bay and what do they like? Will be trying again in a week or 2 so will give some more feedback then. Any other tips on sandy habits greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Nothing yet down the Southern Bay around Peel or Coochy though good mate of mine is bagging about 12 a trip in his 4 dillies on the banks south of Coochy!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

We are heading out in the morning to give it a shot.

there picking up scott around the place,not real thick yet but in the next week or so I reckon they will be...
    9/ 2016-8/2017 crab count
    604 sandies
    7 muddie
    0 rock crab
    0 coral crab

Things are very quiet on the water, we ended up with 2 nice whiting for the trip. We were talking to a pro crabber at the redland bay ramp as we were putting my boat on the trailer and he had only caught 2 muddies from all of his pots. I will wait until the end of October and have another go at the sandies. I may be lucky enough to score a crab for my birthday. Cheers.

Good luck, I have been buying from the fish mongers and to be honest you never know what you are getting, certainly nothing like my own fresh sandies 90% of the time. But last year my catch wasn't worth the effort, but here is a question. I get 22 keepers one night when I stayed with them, anchoring close. Next trip I came home to my warm bed, check them the next morning for one keeper, same place. Whenever I stay with my pots I get a good feed, how are you guys finding things? Don't have to be too smart to figure out people are checking my pots for me, do I really have to start zip tying them to be 100% sure what's going on?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    there picking up scott around the place,not real thick yet but in the next week or so I reckon they will be...

Sandies are to much work. I prefer to catch spanners now.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Sandies are to much work. I prefer to catch spanners now.
    Always curious where you get spanners from.

How far south (ie. offshore Brisbane or Gold Coast) can you get them?

tim sandies are easy mate,pull ya pots up 6mtrs not 40+mtrs,there showing up out of manly now,gettin a feed out of 4 pots when I check them,will go out tomorrow to see whats in the pots ,got 12 Wednesday arvo
    cheers rosco
    9/ 2016-8/2017 crab count
    604 sandies
    7 muddie
    0 rock crab
    0 coral crab

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPanther View Post
    Nothing yet down the Southern Bay around Peel or Coochy though good mate of mine is bagging about 12 a trip in his 4 dillies on the banks south of Coochy!

Hope isn't using dillies as they were outlawed years ago

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

All quiet on the southern front both in fish and sandies! Give it another few weeks and there might be a bit of an improvement but until then just a waste of bait up my way around Peel Is .......

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Put 8 pots in last Saturday for about 5 hrs around wello/green area and only managed 3 legal sandies, so still very slow at the moment.
    Some nice sized prawns around though.

Hi, Iv'd lived on the Southern Bay Islands for 30 + years!

The locals at the time I took up residence on the SMBI advised me to wait for the "NORTH EASTERLIES" to blow, then the Sandies will start potting.

It works every time.
    Last edited by horatech; 03-12-2016 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Typo