Thread: Brisbane River Threadies

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brisbane River Threadies

Decided on a quick but late fish last night at the mouth of the river. On the water around 8:30 and I have to say the port ramp carpark is an absolute mess from that last storm, looks like there was no access with trees across the entrance which have been cut and moved but there are still big parts of the car park shut with trees and light poles over the ground.
    Found it difficult to get much live bait, only a couple of small prawns, 1 mullet and garfish and about a dozen herring. Didn't phase me too much as I knew I was only going to be there for a short time.
    A lot of ships were at port so not a lot of spare structure to fish. Headed right out to the end of the port and sounded up a couple of fish which I couldn't get a bit from. Moved back down the port and fish a gap between ships. Didn't see any fish on the sounder, but after I anchored a few arches started showing up.
    First herring went off and landed an 83cm salmon! After I got it in the boat I noticed another rod seemed like there was a little bit of movement in the tip. Picked the rod up and wound in some slack and then it was on. Didn't fight too much initially but then when it was about half way up it went off. After a decent fight a 99cm slamon surfaced.
    Managed a big ray and a couple of big catfish before I packed up. There were still some pretty decent looking arches on the sounder so must have been a decent school down there, just too hard to get past the vermin.
    Was a great mid week trip with near perfect weather, next to no wind and the temperature was perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16-11-2016 Threadies.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	114793

Re: Brisbane River Threadies

Nice work mate. No one telling you to move on?
    Herring come from the poo shute?

Hi Sheik, I find at night during the week they are more leniant and wont tend to bother you as much as long as you aren't sitting right beisde the port.
    Yea herring at the poo chute, for some reason there was heaps of toadfish, would have got a couple each throw and some throws maybe 10-12 toads.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Hi Sheik, I find at night during the week they are more leniant and wont tend to bother you as much as long as you aren't sitting right beisde the port.
    Yea herring at the poo chute, for some reason there was heaps of toadfish, would have got a couple each throw and some throws maybe 10-12 toads.
    Is that toads or turds?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Is that toads or turds?
    They look and smell the same haha......

Nice threadies!

A quick question ( you guys seem to be in the know on these threadies). Do threadies get caught in any numbers out at Mud Island?

Went out last Monday and twice hooked up to unstoppables on live diver whiting. Ran off at a rate of knots and didn't stand a chance of turning them on 30lb line. Suspected they were bull sharks or even long tails (no top water chopping though) but had a thought they might be big threadies. They lifted fairly high in the water column before I got busted up (just about out of line),

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acronin View Post
    Nice threadies!

A quick question ( you guys seem to be in the know on these threadies). Do threadies get caught in any numbers out at Mud Island?

Went out last Monday and twice hooked up to unstoppables on live diver whiting. Ran off at a rate of knots and didn't stand a chance of turning them on 30lb line. Suspected they were bull sharks or even long tails (no top water chopping though) but had a thought they might be big threadies. They lifted fairly high in the water column before I got busted up (just about out of line),

Thanks
    Hi acronin, I have only caught them in the Brisbane river or in the chanel leading away from the river into the bay. This is relatively close to mud island so there is every chance they may venture around the islands.
    I haven't had any of them come up to the surface yet, but they may fight different in shallower waters.

Thanks Jackson4300.

I was thinking there was a real chance they would push out to Mud island, particularly when the prawns get flushed out of the river with a bit of rain. Saw some trawlers working the bay so I guess this is the case at the moment (though we haven't had that much rain lately so not so sure).

Theres only one way to find out for sure - go back with heavier line and hit them again, but this time get one to the boat. :-)