Thread: Cathedrals 11/11/16

Cathedrals 11/11/16

Took advantage of a day with no work and the brief weather window that was predicted to go for a blat offshore today. Didn't bother leaving early just in case the weather guessers guessed wrong - crossed the bar via Amity channel at about 7 or so. A quick check for live bait supplied 3 pike about the size of a Nicko marker so bottom bashing it was going to be. Ended up in the Cathedrals area for the day with a mixed bag comprising of 8 tuskies, 2 pearlies a squire and a pig fish. Was pretty slow but steady going over the course of the day with the current ripping on the surface but no current below - had to run the sea anchor off the bow to turn the boat so we weren't fishing around the front the boat - first time I have seen it like this to this extent in 20 years of fishing out there.

Re: Cathedrals 11/11/16

nice feed of great eatin fish mate...been slow offshore for a few months now.im still getting a good feed but working for it
    9/ 2016-8/2017 crab count
    604 sandies
    7 muddie
    0 rock crab
    0 coral crab

Yeah. Just need to keep plugging away Rosco and the bag usually puts itself together over the course of the day. I have found in recent times I am getting a few more fish by not necessarily fishing the main lumps of reef - I am still fishing around them but not necessarily directly on them.

Thanks for the report mate, not sure what happened to like button for the posts.

What size were the tuskies?

Most were 1.5 - 2 kg ish with a couple of smaller ones - Not overly big fish (hence no pics) but good on the plate all the same.

Best eating fish in the ocean I reckon Scotty

Tony

Absolutely Tony. I always look at them and think "what a good looking fish - pity to knock it on the head". Then I get over it and toss them in the esky. Whole process only takes a few seconds