Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.8 Savage Jabiru re-power advice.

3.8 Savage Jabiru re-power advice.

Hi all,

I have above boat with a listed max hp of 25. I would like some advice on what is a good 2nd hand 25hp outboard to look out for. I'd like to spend around $1000 or up to $1500 for something in good nick.

Thanks in advance

Re: 3.8 Savage Jabiru re-power advice.

I have a 25 tohatsu for sale pm me if you want a look

try and find a twin carb yamaha 25hp. A much smoother engine, especially when trolling compared to all the regular single carb engines. they are also much more compact!

Ausfish Silver Member

for you money you will generally get a later model tohatsu then a yammie second hand, yes the yammie is a bit smoother but thats all your payin for tohatsu is as reliable etc just a basic motor if you dont mind a little 2 stroke shake then it will be a good choice.. and hey if you want smooth get a 4 stroke.. myself i like a little shake it reminds me a a motor with a good cam in it..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Silver Member

oohh and 1 more thing, make sure to check with a dealer or some1 who knows but im pretty sure my dealer told me a 25hp tohatsu 2 stroke and the 30hp are the same motor only the 25hp has a restrictor plate in the carby so easy to get 30hp without a new carby (dearer option) and with the 25hp sticker on the cowel you get a sneaky 5hp extra while still able to register legally.. as said please check different years may do it some may not,

What is the difference to register a 25 over a 30? By your reckoning, you pay less for a 25 over the 30, yet it has one more part!

Ausfish Silver Member

his boat is in his words is listed to a max of 25hp. i dont think there is any difference in rego costs. i was told you have to stick to your max hp rating to register, in his case 25hp, what i was saying is if a 25hp can convert to a 30 hp he is registering a motor with 25hp on the compliance plate but can squeeze 5 extra hp yet not be done by water patrol.. and if a yammie cant convert then he will only get 25hp. obviously if he only needs 25hp then my comment is null and void, i was just letting him know as he might want a few extra horsepower.. and i never said it was less to register a 25hp over a 30hp i said it was less to remove a restrictor plate in a 25hp to make it a 30hp then to buy a 25hp in some other motors where you have to pay more for a whole new carbie to get extra hp..

Thanks lads. I think I'm going to go down the line of a new engine. Warranty, peace of mind and all that. I've got a dealer down to $2500 for a mercury sea-pro 25, and it'll cost me $50 to get the restrictor plate taken out of the carby making it a 30. Does anyone have any experience with this motor?
    Thanks

I had a 3.8 Jabiru with one of the first Merc 25HP 4strokes many years ago, and trust me, you don't need to worry about going up to 30HP. She'll be chine walking badly with only yourself in it and a 25, so...Mac.

Ausfish Silver Member

the 25hp will be plenty of ponies but if you got 3 big men and fishing gear and eskys 30hp might just mean you only need 3/4 throttle which is always good not to hold a motor flat out.. i think the sea pro is made a little more focused on high usage and working hard and being strong over the standard merc outboards..and 2500 for a sea pro thats a good price from my research.. cant go wrong with a new motor if you got the cash..

Took it out for the first time yesterday and hit 55km/h with the motor 2 inches too low in the water, 200kg of humans, 50L of fuel, 20kg of esky, 10kg of tackle plus rods, anchor etc... and a 100AH battery. Almost 350kg. Can't complain. I'm in the part of the run-in that allows full throttle for a while, which was bangy in the chop. I'll be welding the cross sections to the floor and seats to the hull for strength. I'll also be adding ply flooring and carpet so more weight and that should help it handle the bumps better I think.
    Definitely going to add pedestal seats with backs for comfort. Going to be a pretty sweet tinny when I'm finished I shall post photos.
    Is there anything I can put underneath the floor to particularly dampen the bumps that anyone knows about?
    Thanks, Lammi.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Only thing that will dampen bumps in a tinny is slow down, or only go out when it's dead flat.....

OH, and just be careful what you weld to the floor, welded ribs and so on will crack in no time on a thin (usually around 1-1.6mm) tinny.

Like Noel said - don't weld directly to the floor. I have the 3.4 Jabiru and had extra ribs put into it to stop the floor flexing. You will never stop it banging though - just slow down or you will end up cracking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Only thing that will dampen bumps in a tinny is slow down, or only go out when it's dead flat.....
    Ah ok then. I think maybe the answer is a generous application of sikaflex between the ribs and floor. I have already noticed cracking at the welds on either side of a couple of floor ribs.