Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sea sick prevention

Sea sick prevention

Long story short,
    Recently started a new job thats going to see me working at sea for extended periods, like a month at a time.
    I do get a bit seasick. Not crazy, but a bit.....
    The other day i took a couple of kwells. Didnt get crook, but they seemed to dry me out and i had a headache that night.
    Anyone been in the same boat (pun intended) and have a longterm solution to seasickness? Without side effects preferably?
    Got an ex navy dude here who did 19 years and took a tablet every day he was at sea..... I'll ask what he took. But figured in the meantime I'd put it to the salty sea dogs on here to share their wisdom.
    Cheers.

Re: Sea sick prevention

Problem is that there is no "one size fits all" cure. Plenty of things you can try but it is all trial and error. Personally I use Kwells. Plenty of blokes I know swear by the tablets ET flogs but they are very pricey and have to ordered in (didn't work for me). Pressure bands are another option as is a needle but it knocks you out for 24 hours or so. another tablet I have heard of working for some is Avil. It will depend on you too. I don't get crook on trailerboats and don't get crook on cruise ships but on a tug in anything over 20 knots after about 18 hours I am ready for a quick talk with Ralph. I don't even fight it anymore - just get it over and done with and then feel good again. Some come good after a few days but then there are some that never come good. Where you working and on what?

AVOMINE tablets from chemist Or ETS pills

There was a big article in Club Marine magazine a few years ago, that was interesting reading. They listed a number of different ingredients used in the various seasick pills. The guts of the article was that all options won't work the same for all people, you need to try a few to find out which works best for you. ET's pills were one example of somebody mixing various drugs to get a mixture that worked for ET.

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    AVOMINE tablets from chemist Or ETS pills
    This is what the navy bloke used. Might give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Problem is that there is no "one size fits all" cure. Plenty of things you can try but it is all trial and error. Personally I use Kwells. Plenty of blokes I know swear by the tablets ET flogs but they are very pricey and have to ordered in (didn't work for me). Pressure bands are another option as is a needle but it knocks you out for 24 hours or so. another tablet I have heard of working for some is Avil. It will depend on you too. I don't get crook on trailerboats and don't get crook on cruise ships but on a tug in anything over 20 knots after about 18 hours I am ready for a quick talk with Ralph. I don't even fight it anymore - just get it over and done with and then feel good again. Some come good after a few days but then there are some that never come good. Where you working and on what?
    Border force patrol vessels. Most likely the 190 odd foot cape class out of Darwin. Likely the bigger ones down south at some point too......

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

A compounding pharmacist mate put me onto half an Avil tablet for my wife: http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/avil-tablets

Worked for her until she went to ET's

When I sailed on the HMB Endeavour Replica, the captain said to the voyage (paying) crew about 3 days in that those getting seasick would get over it, and would hand out chupa-chups to them. Sure as shit, they next day all sea sickness was gone. So the magic number is 3 days!! I suspect that you may find there is also some psychological stuff going on also. I think a lot of people suffer because they think they are going to get seasick. Of course a lot of people suffer because there is the actual equilibrium problem between the inner ear and the eye, but from my experience the brain learns to deal with this in time.

I can say this, after seeing so many people so sick that the looked like they would prefer to be dead, I am so glad I don't suffer from sea sickness and feel for those who do. I would suggest try a few things and find the remedy that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Border force patrol vessels. Most likely the 190 odd foot cape class out of Darwin. Likely the bigger ones down south at some point too......
    They have roll flap motion control and are fast - you'll be fine underway, just not so much fun when they are hove too I'd guess.

Down south - southern ocean? Single fin, no keel, no ballast = Gawd help you haha. The Cape Grafton (now Southern Supporter) outside the reef or down south would cavitate over every swell and bounce you almost out of bed - she was a fair bit bigger than what you are heading out on.

Time is your friend at sea, but only on one vessel. Change vessels and stay at sea and you'll be crook for sure - spend 9 months at sea and you'll have to relearn how to walk on land again.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

What's the active ingredients in ET's pills?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Avomine the night before and travel calm original half hour before departure...

I take ET pills every offshore trip and never been crook, active ingredients are Caffeine and Ginger, cheers wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    When I sailed on the HMB Endeavour Replica, the captain said to the voyage (paying) crew about 3 days in that those getting seasick would get over it, and would hand out chupa-chups to them. Sure as shit, they next day all sea sickness was gone. So the magic number is 3 days!! I suspect that you may find there is also some psychological stuff going on also. I think a lot of people suffer because they think they are going to get seasick. Of course a lot of people suffer because there is the actual equilibrium problem between the inner ear and the eye, but from my experience the brain learns to deal with this in time.

I can say this, after seeing so many people so sick that the looked like they would prefer to be dead, I am so glad I don't suffer from sea sickness and feel for those who do. I would suggest try a few things and find the remedy that works for you.
    Yeah i went on young endeavour for 18 days when i was 16 from melb to syd to newcastle. Big seas early on and spewed for 3 days......
    Would rather not do that every patrol on the new gig though.

Beer. Fixes dodgy guts. Sounds rough, but my girlfriend at the time when travelling in Greece between Islands told me as we boarded a ferry in very rough seas. Really??

Went to front of boat where the bar was & got a tray of beers & as I walked to the stern where we were, everyone was throwing up everywhere, as it was was stupid rough, but I tell you what, they all excelled themselves at chucking when they saw me with a tray of beers.

Best lesson I ever learnt, & I' ve never been sea sick in my life. Juna isn't good first up, so after I cross the bar, she knocks back a Corona & is good for the day.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Beer. Fixes dodgy guts. Sounds rough, but my girlfriend at the time when travelling in Greece between Islands told me as we boarded a ferry in very rough seas. Really??

Went to front of boat where the bar was & got a tray of beers & as I walked to the stern where we were, everyone was throwing up everywhere, as it was was stupid rough, but I tell you what, they all excelled themselves at chucking when they saw me with a tray of beers.

Best lesson I ever learnt, & I' ve never been sea sick in my life. Juna isn't good first up, so after I cross the bar, she knocks back a Corona & is good for the day.

Tony
    Hahaha nice.
    Might be frowned upon though......