Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sea sick prevention

Re: Sea sick prevention

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Let's see the medical qualifications of those making that claim, hey?!
    Pot calling the kettle black? What is your medical qualification? And yet you wish to share your opinion also?

My mate uses Travalcalm as well and says the only side effect is it makes him hungry.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I don't normally get seasick but then went through a period where every trip I started to feel nauseous. My doc recommended Avil which is prescribed for women with morning sickness, eased the sickness but not entirely so he ordered an endoscopy and found I had heliobacter virus, once that was sorted never got sick agsin. There is a problem with Avil and blokes, if you have any prostrate issues it can exacerbate them so beware.
    The British navy uses a drug called Sturgeron which works for some.

Would like to try the beer thing but haven't taken any on the boat for 30 years now.

gford,
    I think you'll find this info in another thread somewhere on here but here it is again anyway. I've logged many tens of thousands of sea hours on a great variety of vessel types and sizes and I can tell categorically that if you get seasick as easily as I do you will always get seasick. Having said that it can be managed and as has already been said the susceptibility is different for everyone and consequently the management is different for everyone. I attended a talk at the Syd boat show many years ago by the great Dick Lewers and heard, and then read in an article in a fishing mag he wrote for, about his seasickness remedy. I have used it for many years with total success including 70 knots of wind and 12m seas for several days. Works for me and all of my crews (at least the ones that stick to it). Here goes. Stay away from milk and citrus, they are the enemy. Travacalm original are the only tabs that work for me. Take one tab the night before you let go, another one next morning and at intervals during the day as required, depends on sea conditions. Keep your stomach full, dryish foods like sandwiches etc. This is a bit generalised and is aimed at day trips so it varies with individuals and obviously you'll have to tailor it to your needs. Travacalm do affect people in different ways. They will make you dry, bung you up and half a tab puts my wife to sleep but 2 or 3 in a day doesn't make me drowsy at all, then again I'm probably more excited about fishing than most. I'm not suggesting that you do as I do but only that this works for me. I'll take side effects over spewing any day. I went green first day out on a 17 day cruise years ago, had a maxolon injection and half a dozen pills to take over several days from the ships doc and no sign of mal de mer for the rest of the trip. Similar active ingredients.
    Had one of your v/ls, (Storm Bay), check me out in stealth mode at 0100 about 200nm east of Sydney once, They wouldn't identify themselves, no lights until they were within half a mile of me. Looked like an aeroplane coming at me on collision course on radar. Interesting night.
    Good luck.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    gford,
    I think you'll find this info in another thread somewhere on here but here it is again anyway. I've logged many tens of thousands of sea hours on a great variety of vessel types and sizes and I can tell categorically that if you get seasick as easily as I do you will always get seasick. Having said that it can be managed and as has already been said the susceptibility is different for everyone and consequently the management is different for everyone. I attended a talk at the Syd boat show many years ago by the great Dick Lewers and heard, and then read in an article in a fishing mag he wrote for, about his seasickness remedy. I have used it for many years with total success including 70 knots of wind and 12m seas for several days. Works for me and all of my crews (at least the ones that stick to it). Here goes. Stay away from milk and citrus, they are the enemy. Travacalm original are the only tabs that work for me. Take one tab the night before you let go, another one next morning and at intervals during the day as required, depends on sea conditions. Keep your stomach full, dryish foods like sandwiches etc. This is a bit generalised and is aimed at day trips so it varies with individuals and obviously you'll have to tailor it to your needs. Travacalm do affect people in different ways. They will make you dry, bung you up and half a tab puts my wife to sleep but 2 or 3 in a day doesn't make me drowsy at all, then again I'm probably more excited about fishing than most. I'm not suggesting that you do as I do but only that this works for me. I'll take side effects over spewing any day. I went green first day out on a 17 day cruise years ago, had a maxolon injection and half a dozen pills to take over several days from the ships doc and no sign of mal de mer for the rest of the trip. Similar active ingredients.
    Had one of your v/ls, (Storm Bay), check me out in stealth mode at 0100 about 200nm east of Sydney once, They wouldn't identify themselves, no lights until they were within half a mile of me. Looked like an aeroplane coming at me on collision course on radar. Interesting night.
    Good luck.
    Mark
    Haha cheers mate.
    Hopefully I'll be fine. Apparently they handle pretty well. I might grab a few different types and see what works.

No beers the night before works for me , not even 1 if it's going to be lumpy

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Try taking ginger tablets before you go out

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app