Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sea sick prevention

Re: Sea sick prevention

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Hahaha nice.
    Might be frowned upon though......
    Who by?? The guy with the dodgy guts

If you are in Brisbane area, Carina Day & Night chemist is a compounding chemist and makes their own version.

My cousin, who suffers vertigo and motion sickness real bad, uses their version when she travels, has no nasty side effects and does the job very well.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    If you are in Brisbane area, Carina Day & Night chemist is a compounding chemist and makes their own version.

My cousin, who suffers vertigo and motion sickness real bad, uses their version when she travels, has no nasty side effects and does the job very well.
    Awesome. Will definitely do that. Not a big fan of Kwells. Will have a crack. Like my navy mate said, pretty sure its 95% mental. If he had a pill he'd be fine.
    I imagine I'd be fine, but just in case.....
    Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Awesome. Will definitely do that. Not a big fan of Kwells. Will have a crack. Like my navy mate said, pretty sure its 95% mental. If he had a pill he'd be fine.
    I imagine I'd be fine, but just in case.....
    Cheers mate
    Your mates right, 95% mental.
    I like to raise the bar & swear I'm 100% with a few beers in me

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Your mates right, 95% mental.
    I like to raise the bar & swear I'm 100% with a few beers in me
    Haha i like the beer idea. Shame the boss won't. I do like this new gig so far. Don't wanna push it.

I guy I work with gets sea sick really bad but loves his fishing he has tried all the pills without much luck he said Avomine was the best for him but still got sick a fair bit. He has also told me that he has tried a blob of vick's vaporub in his belly button with a band aid over it apparently it works, which makes it sound like a mind over matter thing. Thankfully I don't get sick I have also heard about putting an ear plug in only one ear something to do with your middle ear.

Travacalm has always worked for me and doesn't dry you out like kwells. Take one each morning with a good glass of water

I get sea sick the night before just thinking about it, it's all a mind game,

Cool. Interesting job at times no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Cool. Interesting job at times no doubt.
    Just started but yeah. Stoked I got in.
    Pays really well and only work 6 months of the year. Not to mention it's a govt job and all that means.....

I don't get sea sick but if I smell smoke on water it gives me the biggest headache, hence I wont let anyone smoke in my boat or be in another boat with smokers.
    Smell of Olympic torch gives me the same headache as well

All the tablets/ointments etc don't really do a great deal IMO. they are only short term

The only way to cure yourself is time at sea.! but you can help make it easier

I used to get seasick in a bathtub. I spent every day for 3 weeks fishing years ago and I can honestly say I'm 99% cured.(10-12hours every day on a boat)
    What ever you do, dont give up when your sick. Don't lie down and go to sleep. You need to train your brain and inner ear to cope with the imbalance its experiencing. This takes a few days. So keep moving/working or fishing and power on.
    Id rather be crook pulling a red emperor in than asleep in the cab.

Also, to alleviate the sickness a good trick is stay down the back of the boat where its less rough. get your head into some wind. Most importantly stare at the horizon/island as hard as you can. This will tell your brain your moving.

The reason you get crook is, your inner is telling your brain your moving, but your eyes are saying your not. so train your brain and it will ease off.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Beer. Fixes dodgy guts. Sounds rough, but my girlfriend at the time when travelling in Greece between Islands told me as we boarded a ferry in very rough seas. Really??

Went to front of boat where the bar was & got a tray of beers & as I walked to the stern where we were, everyone was throwing up everywhere, as it was was stupid rough, but I tell you what, they all excelled themselves at chucking when they saw me with a tray of beers.

Best lesson I ever learnt, & I' ve never been sea sick in my life. Juna isn't good first up, so after I cross the bar, she knocks back a Corona & is good for the day.

Tony
    Yeah, this is my solution also. Many years ago I used to fish with an old bloke and when I got a bit seedy, his advice was "grab a can of piss". Has been pretty reliable for me.

It is easy to scoff at others and tell them it's all in their head.

Let's see the medical qualifications of those making that claim, hey?!

Everyone is different. Some people suffer badly, despite trying everything. Medication is proven to help many of them. Others, nothing seems to work.

But everyone is different. Some people who suffer vertigo or motion sickness need medication. Others don't.

I rarely get sick, and if I do it is usually because I haven't been offshore for a long time, or on one or two occasions I have had a head cold and blocked up sinuses. Inner ear certainly has a relationship.

Do what suits you.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I get sea sick quite offen and i can't pin it down to anyone thing. Ive been out in rough water with swell and been fine other days its only slightly rough and im hanging over the side. Ive tried lots and lots of remedies with some success. Being on the water often is the best thing imo, however thats not always possible so i get on with it and hope for t h e best each trip.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things