Thread: Has anyone towed a kayak behind their boat?

Has anyone towed a kayak behind their boat?

When I saw towed, I don't mean a thrill ride for the kids!
    I was more thinking of towing it (slowly) by boat to a camping spot. Anybody ever tried this with success?
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Re: Has anyone towed a kayak behind their boat?

yes. Towed mine behind a mates tinny using the outboard ski bridle and tow tube rope with no dramas even at speed. I tried being towed slowly with me in it and it didn't go so well as it wanted to track all different directions which is probably due to being a cheap ebay yak which are known to wander around the joint.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

If it is a cheaper wide/short/flat bottomed one which will try to plane nose up you stand a fair chance. A 'proper' kayak will play up as soon as it's hull speed is reached.
    What is it?
    nil carborundum illegitimi

We towed 2 kayaks behind a 4 m tabs, one yak is a 3.1 cheap ebay job the other is my 4 m, both towed well we run about 6m of rope to each and sat on about 5-8 kts

The kayak is a Viking 2+1 seater. I'd be towing it behind a 4.4 tinny. I guess it's worth a try, I was more worried that it would want to barrel roll or swing out wide during a turn.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Have towed kayaks with people in them at slow speed easy enough, but it wears thin time wise! If you do tow them, keep the gear in the boat. that way if the kayak turns turtle it wont matter.
    Cant you just throw it sideways across the boat? takes up surprisingly little room, found that to be far easier and quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kero View Post
    The kayak is a Viking 2+1 seater. I'd be towing it behind a 4.4 tinny. I guess it's worth a try, I was more worried that it would want to barrel roll or swing out wide during a turn.
    Those things are monstrous and they have a keel of sorts. It would be pretty high up my list of preferred yaks to tow around if I had to. It isn't going to want to play silly buggers like a round bottomed one. How far do you need to get it?

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Those things are monstrous and they have a keel of sorts. It would be pretty high up my list of preferred yaks to tow around if I had to. It isn't going to want to play silly buggers like a round bottomed one. How far do you need to get it?
    It would only go up the Bribie passage to Mission Pt (about 15 km).
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

That's pretty far if it starts pigrooting. I'd try a practice run.