Thread: Not sure if this is a problem?

Not sure if this is a problem?

Hi guys, after a bit of insight please.
    Had my new/old boat wired up today and it has a Simrad NSS12 and 8. Running NMEA2000 gauges from the Suzuki 140. The problem is, that when I turn the ignition key the first step (long beep) the gauges appear on the nss12, but then disappear after 10-20 seconds (only the fuel gauge is still operating). Turning the key off and then turning it the first step again (long beep) does not bring the gauges back. But, if I turn the nss12 off completely and then back on again, I can get the gauges again for another 10-20 seconds.
    I haven't actually started the motor yet, boat is still in fitout stage.
    Will starting and running the motor keep the gauges operating?
    Or is there something wrong elsewhere?
    Thanks for any advice!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: Not sure if this is a problem?

Doesn't sound right - you should be able to read engine hours etc without the need to run the motor. When you say they "disappear", I assume the data simply starts flashing to show it is invalid - is that correct? Do the gauges still have valid data after it disappears from the NSS12? How is the backbone arranged - is there an isolator in the backbone to separate the gauges from the GPS displays etc? What other devices are in the network?

As scottar mentioned, do the gauges just lose feedback displaying ---, or does the NMEA screen disappear? Just a guess but if - once the gauges disappear, are they available on another screen in your pages selection ?
    I.e. Can you configure a new page with the custom screen option specific to the NMEA gauges ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Doesn't sound right - you should be able to read engine hours etc without the need to run the motor. When you say they "disappear", I assume the data simply starts flashing to show it is invalid - is that correct? Do the gauges still have valid data after it disappears from the NSS12? How is the backbone arranged - is there an isolator in the backbone to separate the gauges from the GPS displays etc? What other devices are in the network?
    thanks for your response Scott!
    I am a complete muppet when it comes to stuff like this, so I'm thinking it would be much quicker and easier if I get an expert to cast an eye over the setup and fix it. I'm on Brisbane Southside, any one you can suggest who would know what they're looking at? Thanks

Sounds like the NMEA network is incomplete so the NSS12 cannot determine the start and finish of the network
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Massive thanks to Scottar for coming over and sorting out my little issue! All fixed now

No worries FisHard - more than welcome. Happy to help and good to put a face to a name.

For a Seafarer owner, you're a bloody good bloke!

Aww shucks. Did you get out for a run?

Yes mate. LOVE the boat! What a great hull!

Good to hear.