Thread: Chest Freezer - Elec Usage

Chest Freezer - Elec Usage

G'day,

Does anyone have a rough idea how much electricity a 142L chesty would chew? Dollars/month?

Thanks heaps.

Cuzza

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Chest Freezer - Elec Usage

Have a look at the rating on the label in watts. Multiply this by 24 for a daily consumption of Kw/Hrs ( kilowatt/hours) You need to know the cost of a "unit" of electricity on your bill--1 kilowatt/hour is one Unit.. You will only be running for maybe 50% of the time.
    So as an example--say it is a 250 watt motor. 250 x 24 gives you 6000 watts total consumption, but because it will only be on may 50% of the time ( or less, halve that. So you then have 3000 watt/hours (3kw/hrs), which is 3 Units. if you are paying , say, 32c/Unit, it will cost you around 96c/day.

Thanks, Ranmar. Gee, I was hoping for more like five or ten bucks a month. Not sure what I pay, but will look into it.

Cuzza

I got one of these

http://reductionrevolution.com.au/pr...in-power-meter

Plug them into the socket for a few days or a week, and they will measure how much is used in that time, as well as how long it actually ran for.

Probably won't help the OP much.

Ausfish Platinum Member

It could be less than the numbers I quoted, it was only an example--I had a 130L tuckerbox that only drew 150W, so that number would be considerably lower. And, of course, if you are running at less than a 50% duty cycle, less again. Things like not turning it down to it's coldest setting, where it will run and burn power all the time without really making the contents any colder, making sure the lid seasl properly, keeping it away from a hot west-facing wall of the house, all these things will add up.

My mate worked out his was using $1 a day, he thought it a bit expensive to be storing all his bait so I ended up with the bait, now I just have to use it.

BTW my Thanks,Likes but to s have disappeared.