Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which plate boat?

Ausfish Bronze Member

Which plate boat?

I have been looking for sometime at upgrading to a larger boat, so I can hit the reef up from Townsville. I have narrowed down to Barcrusher 615C with Suzuki 140, Surtees 610 workmate cuddy with 130 4 stroke Yammy (from brissy +$1500 tansport to TSV unless i pick her up) or Yellowfin 5800c with 150 yammy 4stroke. the crusher comes in at 76k but with long range fuel tank, trim tabs, 12inch garmin combo, lekky anchor winch, surtees about 72k, without lekky winch, but with tabs and sounder, and yellow fin in at 68k without trimtabs and without lekky winch... Pros and cons list has evened a few things off, but more leaning towards Surtees and crusher due to warranty (10 on surtees and 5 on the crusher, only 3 on the YF) and the fact those hulls have been around alot longer then the new Yellowfin design. I have no issues with telwater due to my quinny renegade not missing a beat, and the ally trailer she's on has been impressive. The outboards, I prefer a yammy, but not sure if a 140suzuki being the 100 block is working hard to produce another 40...the 150 suzi is a big jump price and weight. Another thing is will the 130 yammy push a surtees as nice as a 140 pushes a crusher? Any help or suggestions of current or previous owners would be greatly accepted! I would go the G2 evinrude, but the packages in townsville are only with savage, and I don't really like their plateys. TIA

Currently have a Quinny Renegade 460 SC with 75hp Evinrude Etec on 1100kg ATM ally telwater trailer.

Re: Which plate boat?

Barcrusher best of a bad bunch. At least you will get good money for it when you sell it. You will burn dollars if you get a Yellowfin, unless its the last boat you plan on owning.
    130 Yamaha and 140 Suzuki will be about the same performance, worth it to jump up to a 150 in either brand in my opinion. If you plan on keeping it for a long time I would go Yammy because of better corrosion resistance.

Surtees and Yamaha combo...... very nice

Svensson boats, Performance plate, Offshore marine master, Riptide (personal favourite) Rebel, Australian master marine, Origin & Fisher (no longer building but you may find one second hand) Vindicator and any other custom plate builders are other options for you to consider and Queensland built.

If your choice is of those three I don't think you could go wrong with the Barcrusher or Surtees.
    I owned a 560 crusher and it was a solid boat with great fuel economy running a 135 Honda.

Bar rusher-better resale from media "hype" and paid TV shows, Surtees - Barcrusher in disguise, but better, kind of unknown in a way, Yellowfin - include this, then you might as well shop for a Stacer or Quintrex and save dollars.

For that type of money I would be looking at one of the plate builders above you will get a better quality boat

Go and talk to Gerard at hammerhead boats. He's in Townsville and builds far better boats than any of the mass produced options.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Bar rusher-better resale from media "hype" and paid TV shows, Surtees - Barcrusher in disguise, but better, kind of unknown in a way, Yellowfin - include this, then you might as well shop for a Stacer or Quintrex and save dollars.
    I think you mean the Bar Crusher is a Surtees in disguise....
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

If you look at early Barcrushers you will see that they are actually re-badged Surtees. Not sure what happened with the 2 companies, but Barcrusher's marketing is the best, hence their better re-sale value.

I think the Surtees is a better boat, has a few things over the Barcrusher, like being able to block off the ballast keel.

Barcrushe do the same thing now Noelm

Yes, only after Surtees had it for yonks and people wanted it, so, they copy it.

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    If you look at early Barcrushers you will see that they are actually re-badged Surtees. Not sure what happened with the 2 companies, but Barcrusher's marketing is the best, hence their better re-sale value.
    yeah, not too sure what went on there, not even sure if they were some kind of partners or what, dozens of rumours around, but nothing that I would say is truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post
    Go and talk to Gerard at hammerhead boats. He's in Townsville and builds far better boats than any of the mass produced options.
    I don't own a hammerhead, but ive seen some in the flesh. had a good crawl over one too.
    I must say these are the most solid built plate boat ive come across.No skimping on welds in any area. everything looks XO and extremely tough.Sub floor is fantastic.

The boat I looked at was the first plate tinny with a stepped hull that ive seen in person.
    I really liked the extra halftube of ally welded along the keel too. very nice touch.

I think you could much better than a BC. Yellowfin isn't exactly a plate boat IMO either

Ausfish Bronze Member

Hi Flex,

Interested to know, in your opinion, why the Yellowfin is not "exactly a plate boat".

I have been looking recentlyat the 6700 yellowfin HT and it seems a much better designed and built boat than its Telewater cousins. I have not really looked at the custom boats believing that they will be much more expensive.