Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which plate boat?

Re: Which plate boat?

What difference do you see between the Telwater equivalent models? you need to compare the Yellowfin, Stacer Ocean Ranger and the Quintrex (I think) Trident.

I'm curious to know also what people think about the Yellowfin, I've ben looking at them for a while and they look pretty good, so does the Quintrex Trident, however i do understand that looking good is not the real test.

Quote Originally Posted by Force3 View Post
    Hi Flex,

Interested to know, in your opinion, why the Yellowfin is not "exactly a plate boat".

I have been looking recentlyat the 6700 yellowfin HT and it seems a much better designed and built boat than its Telewater cousins. I have not really looked at the custom boats believing that they will be much more expensive.
    Yeah sure,
    Yellowfin is a telwater built boat I believe?
    Have a look at this video at the 2:35m mark. its a snippet into the construction. They don't do full height subfloor on their boats. nearly every other decent plate boat will have full height stringers and bulkheads. so its a skeleton frame with sheets welded on. If you pushed this boat hard into a sea for a few years I don't think it would cope aswell as other Plate boats

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    yeah, not too sure what went on there, not even sure if they were some kind of partners or what, dozens of rumours around, but nothing that I would say is truth.
    From what i understand and have been told, Bar crusher started importing them years ago, but Surtees didn't have there design patent over here when they were importing them so Bar crusher Copied the design and patent the boat here under there name and started building them here and got rid of Surtees.
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Didn't BC introduce the one sided curved hull so their version could bring itself home if the driver fell out?

Ausfish Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    What difference do you see between the Telwater equivalent models? you need to compare the Yellowfin, Stacer Ocean Ranger and the Quintrex (I think) Trident.
    Yellowfin has 6mm plate bottom with 6mm stringers and 5mm ribs; Trident has 5mm pressed plate bottom with 5mm ribs;Ocean Ranger has 5mm bottom sheets with ribs.Yellowfin has transverse kill tank at the rear.TheTrident a longitudinal kill tank between the front seats and the Ocean Ranger has a transverse kill tank in front of the front seats.

I think an important thing to consider with any plate boat is your chiropractic bill. You might need a Gen 2 Etec or outboard with lean burn technology to save money on fuel which you can contribute to your spinal care. Imagine if club marine did health insurance to go with marine insurance for plate boats. They would go broke.
    One benefit is if you are over 6'4" tall and find yourself bumping your head on low hanging tree branches/door frames etc, in about 6 months you will be 5'10" tall with your new compressed spine.
    Another thing that gets overlooked with plate boats is that the boat will always be worth something. Sims metal pays cash for scrap aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    I think an important thing to consider with any plate boat is your chiropractic bill. You might need a Gen 2 Etec or outboard with lean burn technology to save money on fuel which you can contribute to your spinal care. Imagine if club marine did health insurance to go with marine insurance for plate boats. They would go broke.
    One benefit is if you are over 6'4" tall and find yourself bumping your head on low hanging tree branches/door frames etc, in about 6 months you will be 5'10" tall with your new compressed spine.
    Another thing that gets overlooked with plate boats is that the boat will always be worth something. Sims metal pays cash for scrap aluminium.
    Ahahah, if only I had 160k for a new kevlar cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Ahahah, if only I had 160k for a new kevlar cat!
    They all bang if you don't know how to drive em Nick - sometimes even when you do.

Id go with the Surtees, always a step ahead of the BC and in a class above the Yellowfin. I would think you would need a 150hp at least on a 6.1m reef boat especially if you plan on taking a few blokes and heaps of fuel ect. Your better off spending a bit more in the beginning and getting the highest rating hp, than wishing you had it especially if the weather turns on you.

I think if you were to have all these above mentioned boats of similar lengths parked next to each other, there would be no comparison with the likes of svennson boats, hammerhead ,AMM, performance plate to the mass built bar crushers,surtees and especially yellowfin (quintrex). if your in Townsville I can highly recommend you go see the guys at Hammerhead boats, there excellent quality custom made, designed by the best Naval architect in OZ and are light years beyond the 3 boats your interested in. it wont cost you anything and you will learn what a true plate boat is built like compared to the crap telewater market as plate. the 3 I have personally seen Hammerhead (Townsville) AMM (brissie) and Svennson (Mackay) are all highly skilled builders with quality and hull design well beyond a bar crusher. as the video that flex posted the construction of these telewater boats would be offensive to compare to the true plate guys I mentioned. go and talk to hammerhead educate yourself, it is free and youll end up with a much better boat.

Hammerhead?! Lmfao.

If my memory serves me correct, Surtees was the original company in NZ and the 2 owners had a partnership breakup.
    The other guy went out and started building a near identical boat and called them Barcrushers.

That hardtop on the Yellowfin looks like a massive after thought, what were they thinking? It looks like they had the work experience kid design it. All these small boats with hardtops are useless, whats the point of having them when the seats are positioned behind the side screens?? Copping a wave over the front and you will end up drenched, even just coming home on a glass day with rain you will end up drenched as you sit behind the back edge of the roof.

"Small" boats?? I don't think a 6-7m boat is considered small in trailer boat land!