Thread: Schoolies in the bay and Salmon in the river

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Schoolies in the bay and Salmon in the river

Took the day off work last Friday and planned to fish the bay in the hope of some schoolies.
    Was on the water around 8am, headed out from the Brisbane river, stopped at pretty much every beacon on the way to tangalooma and only a decent amount of bait at the beacon closest to Tangalooma.
    Fished the beacon for a couple of hours for 3 schoolies and plenty of lost fish. If I had taken wire I imagine I would have at least stayed connected longer to more fish.
    Weather blew up something schocking during the day and made for very average conditions.

Saturday morning I decided a relaxing fish at the mouth of the river was required after the previous days hard work! Got some live bait and anchored up near the poo chute. Fortunately I didn't relaise the aerotor had turned off so my livebait was dieing, so I was pleased to see 75% of my livebait was now fresh dead bait! Deployed what liveies I had left and then used some strip bait I had from the day before. I was expecting vermin on the dead bait, so when a strip of trevally went off I pretty much assumed it was all but a sting ray, fought very similar to a ray but I was suprised when a 106cm salmon popped up after a decent fight. Fished a little bit longer and did manage a few rays. Nothing touched the livies. Packed up and headed home around lunch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 106cm.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	114666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schoolies.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	114667

Re: Schoolies in the bay and Salmon in the river

I tried the beacons on Saturday for nought. Amazing difference what one day (and perhaps skill) makes.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

It took a while to find any sort of decent bait hanging near one, but if you can find the bait the fish are normally not far behind!

Ausfish Silver Member

Nice fish- well earned. Love the threadie.