Thread: Lowrance mark transfer issue

Ausfish Platinum Member

Lowrance mark transfer issue

My old neighbour had his Lowrance X-15 die after decades of service. GPS unit died. Marks were still intact, apparently, not many saved over the years. Downloaded to his Old-style Sd card. Date showed as 1.1.2000, so I guess it was a Y2K child . format was .USR, v2.0. Anyway, I transferred it to a microSD, and plugged it into my Elite 7 CHIRP, up loaded, and the marks showed up. So, I think, all good. File size was very small, 6kb, but he doesn't keep that many marks.
    So he turns up with a new Elite-7 TI, and asks me to help him set it up. I find the unit very nice to use, and get to file upload. Select the appropriate file, hit OK,starts up, then tell me it cannot upload because it contains more than the allowed number of icons. Allowed max number is 5000,and it tells me I am trying to upload over 30, 000.
    Any ideas?

Re: Lowrance mark transfer issue

Are there any plot trails saved as part of the file? It usually does that as the default.

Had similar issues before, and deleting plot trails prior to saving the waypoint file solved the problem.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

1. Relying on an X-15 for data storage with little to no backup or even expecting to be able to extract waypoints after it died is really not very good data management at all.

2. It makes absolutely no difference if it is a low cost unit or the best of the best with all the so called smart storage, if you do not backup your waypoints/data then do not expect to retrieve anything after the unit has died.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Thanks for the lecture--this was not my unit,as I said, it was an old non-tech savvy gentleman up the road who thought it "did it all automatically" . And no-one told him otherwise. So I am now attempting to recover the situation for him.
    And, did you actually read my original submission? The marks actually uploaded onto my Elite-7 Chirp with no issues, and appear to be accurate,as they overlay with some of mine. The file size is 6kb--tiny. And yet it says there are over 30,000 icons when I attempt to upload onto a new, bare , Elite-7 TI. So it would appear to be a formatting issue?
    Oh, and to the first, helpful reply, his says he has no track saved, nor did I see any when i viewed the uploaded file on my own plotter.
    BTW, I always keep my marks backed up and stored separately.

1. You get use to it after a few years
    2. Don't let it bother you

Ausfish Platinum Member

Well, he could have said much the same thing, with a different tone, and I wouldn't have responded as I did. Of course, what he said was basically correct, but not helpful.

Anyway, I have sorted it myself today. It was a bit weird--I could load my own marks onto his TI--I could load his marks onto my -7 CHIRP--but I couldn't load his marks onto his TI. I was using my machine as the transfer bed, deleted all mine and uploaded his. I could only go to V.3 on the .usr files on mine, so I checked for updates and found I was a bit behind. So I updated, and tried again. I eventually got it to transfer successfully by ensuring all his routes were deleted first, as a message of "Cannot Parse routes" was coming up sometimes. He only had a couple, and didn't even know he had saved them.
    So he is now a happy camper.

1. Well may not be able to make some of the people happy all of the time but hopefully there will be a few more who pick up on the fact and the discussion that the data is the really important bit and the box is nothing more than a black box that will fail and generally swallow all those hard earned marks. I am happy for the few more that hopefully won't have this problem in the future. Everybody should spread the word

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

1 everybody knows that the bird is the word
    2 bird bird bird.....

To all,

Be aware that SD cards also have an MTBF.. make multiple backups...

Regards
    Honda.

Pluease uxplain?

Ausfish Platinum Member

he is referring to the fact that that SD cards are not failure proof--Mean Time Between Failure. So if you really value your data, any data, have multiple backups. 4GB Micro SDHC cards are cheap as chips nowadays, and will store more than you can fit on your average combo.

My history with mark conversion and backups goes back a long way--I was an early commercial user of GPS, so early that there were only about 4 satellites up, and we could go long periods without the three needed for a fix. I paid $10K for a crappy- by- todays' -standards JRC plotter and aerial, and thought I was made .Held 2000 marks, very little track, and had hand-drawn "charts" Revolutionised our fishing.And every time you wanted to upgrade, you had to either re-enter them by hand or get a conversion done, if it was available. My earliest "backup" consisted of drawing maps and writing the co-ordinates in by hand on them.
    I still have 3.5" floppies with back-ups for both the later JRC, which was a great improvement, and the C-Plot system. And I actually have a licenced C-Plot system still working on an old laptop I can refer to if I want to add some marks.

Yes, the plot trails are usually the issue. Unless you have trails turned off there will always be some there.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Pluease uxplain?
    1. Everyday storage memory that is mostly available at general (consumer type) outlets is typically the low end of the technology market hence are as cheap as chips but anybody who values their data is running the gauntlet with ongoing reliability and data integrity. Yes one could make multiple backups but anybody who is relying on this type of storage should be using SLC type memory, longer life, faster write speeds, better temperature tolerance, 512mb at $35, 2Gb at $80 is not cheap, still doesn't absolutely reduce failures so doesn't eliminate proper backup management but the failure rate decreases enormously, something like several thousand % improvement.

2. Yet I imagine most will continue to run cheap shop cards without much thought to the value of their data?