Thread: the weather over the years

the weather over the years

I LIVE IN SE Qld and 40 years ago (ish) I recall the winds ALWAYS ALWAYS BEING FROM THE SE EXCEPT OF COURSE FOR WINTER & THE WESTERLIES. Now we seem to get so many winds from the north. What do you reckon?

Re: the weather over the years

Quote Originally Posted by seashawgal View Post
    ... What do you reckon?
    That we both should be asleep at this time of the morning unless there is/was supposed to be fishing involved . My excuse is 'dogs', what's yours? (other than the northerlies and possibly your long term memory ).
    Cheers
    Brendon

Ha - there was definitely fishing involved for me, Brendan!

I dunno about always being SE winds. I seem to recall a fair few blocks of northerlies back in the day. Actually, I'm certain of it - they are crucial feeding winds for thunderstorms, and we seemed to have more of them in the eighties/nineties than we do, now. It also seemed warmer back then. So, if anything, seems the reverse for me.

Anyone agree that nights in summer seemed warmer, and we had more storms?

This is a great topic, btw.

Cuzza

I've been thinking the same the last few years.
    Always blowing northerlies every time I want to go fishing.
    South Easterlies seem to be as rare as hens teeth these days.
    SE used to be the predominant wind but now it seems more so northerlies.
    I remember in the eighties and nineties where we nearly got massive thunderstorms every afternoon at around 3 - 4pm.
    It would pour down, last about half an hour, then the sun would be back out.
    The nights were definitely hot back then as I couldn't afford an aircon .
    Have to agree tho the weather pattern has changed.

Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    I've been thinking the same the last few years.
    Always blowing northerlies every time I want to go fishing.
    South Easterlies seem to be as rare as hens teeth these days.
    SE used to be the predominant wind but now it seems more so northerlies.
    I remember in the eighties and nineties where we nearly got massive thunderstorms every afternoon at around 3 - 4pm.
    It would pour down, last about half an hour, then the sun would be back out.
    The nights were definitely hot back then as I couldn't afford an aircon .
    Have to agree tho the weather pattern has changed.

Cheers Rob
    Agreed on the thunderstorms, but the type of storms mostly experienced in SEQ are fed by northerlies, so they were definitely prolific from Oct-Dec, even back then. The same now, just without the storms.

It's always been mostly northerlies from mid September through to late December, then SE from January through to May (far less t'storms at this time because of that), then a mixture of Westerlies and Southerlies in winter.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Agreed on the thunderstorms, but the type of storms mostly experienced in SEQ are fed by northerlies, so they were definitely prolific from Oct-Dec, even back then. The same now, just without the storms.

It's always been mostly northerlies from mid September through to late December, then SE from January through to May (far less t'storms at this time because of that), then a mixture of Westerlies and Southerlies in winter.

Cuzza
    I agree with cuzza. At least that is how I remember it. I would add I reckon the NE seabreeze is kicking in earlier in the day than it used to

agree guys......... back in my day ( too long ago to remember ) we knew the weekend was coming so we made plans for fishing and went. Didn't look at weather forecast.

Jeez I only had a compass on board.... no such thing as sounders or gps.

Seems you are right. sheshawgal... always a S/E with a late arvo N/E.

Westerlies are not the same as old days either... we had bugger all this year.

And don't get me started on the Northerlies......

worst storm was a few years ago, fishing west side Mud Island... came in from the N/W.... holy crap did we get hammered in my 4.1 tinnie at night. Bailing water like no tomorrow. OH, and the one off Mooloolaba about 15 years ago... so much lightening ... scary stuff

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Weather records have been logged for maybe 130 years in Oz. Earth is maybe 4.5 billion years old. I guess that leaves a bit of room for variation in weather patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManRiver View Post
    Weather records have been logged for maybe 130 years in Oz. Earth is maybe 4.5 billion years old. I guess that leaves a bit of room for variation in weather patterns.
    And? Noone's denying this. We're simply discussing whether or not there have been more or less northerlies since the eighties.

Cuzza

Wasn't trying to be a smart arse, sorry. Just thinking that weather patterns must have changed immensely over the years. Our time on this planet is a pin prick relative to the age of the place.

I kind of think that the seasons and prevailing conditions are just simply "variable" when we hear the weather, it is always something like.."the hottest November day for 35 years" or similar, that to me indicates that 35 years ago, it was damn hot then too at this time of the year! or the "wettest (insert month) for X years, meaning that years ago, it rained like buggery too! it is just "weather" some times we have a windy Autumn, sometimes a wet one, it's just how it goes!

Well this year we didn't get a single frost.....Back in the late 80's I remember fronting work and finding big steel beams with 50mm of ice in them rock solid.
    As for SE winds, I remember them being constant from late august to about mid October then they would be variable SE morning and NE afternoons.

Bring back the crisp winter mornings I say.
    Jack.

I reckon the seasons are going back where they used to be or at least i wish they would hurry up n do so lol..Nor Nor easters come Summertime and if 10-15 would not hesitate to head out and maybe cop a wee bit of a flogging in the process..Always had an eye to the South west as it was the direction the storms would come in from and if out in the briney when they did come through it would be two anchor ropes out and wait for it to pass and must admit i had a love for storms ..then , not now , maybe a tad wiser lol or softer ..
    Winter would be the westerlies and all flat with the fish going off the chew with a westerly and 20 mtres down and you could see them clear as !! , hang off overnight and wait for that south easterly chop and they would come on the chew something shocking !!...
    Find the North easterlies always best to fish from up this way and if fishing a tad north then the Nor Westerlies arent so bad either ..
    BuT!!! It seems to be always blowing when im at home and drops off when i head away ...

While going over the past has something to offer, now is what lets you go out or not.
    Mate and I just had week at Jervis Bay that had perfect fishing conditions every day .
    We jagged the combination of when we had the time, plus the weather pattern.