Thread: Need some assistance with Gimbal Bearing

Need some assistance with Gimbal Bearing

Hi Guys.

So I have my stern drive pulled down to replace bellows and bearing etc, but I have hit a snag that has me scratching my head.

I can't seem to get the bearing out, and it appears that there is a ring in front of the bearing that is stopping it. It looks like the gimbal sits behind this black piece - but everything I have looked at online looks different.

I have tried the slide hammer, but I have been giving it everything I have got, and it does not budge.

Have a look at my picture and you see that it looks like the gimbal is behind the outer ring.

Thoughts?

gimbal.jpg

Re: Need some assistance with Gimbal Bearing

Doesn't look like it - you need a truck and chain as well though

LOL! Seriously though - My bearing looks like it sits behind the black bit. Can you see that in my photo?

Sort of but I have never played with inboards. None of the you tube clips mention it - there was a good one from Mallory Marine that detailed steps - once the leg was off the bearing came straight out - they used a puller arrangement though rather than a slide hammer

Is that black ring not a seal to retain the grease that gets pumped in from the grease nipple on the side for greasing that bearing?

That's certainly what it looks like. And it looks like its holding the bearing in. Strange thing is the new bearing is sized to fit inside that black ring.

Look - me bearing feels alright and after a regrease seems ok, so I will carry on for with the other stuff to do. Has me buggered though. She is an 05 Alpha One Gen2 and none of the youtube vids seem to look like mine.

Well - I have moved ahead. I re-greased the bearing and it actually feels pretty good. There was little to no water in the bellows, so I don't think I will have a problem. If I have to get it replaced I will get someone at the shop to do it. LOL!

Anyways... If you are reading this and want to have a go at doing your own bellows - Holy Cow it's a PITA!! I did both main bellows and the water inlet. The oil hose and the shifter bellows were fine.

WARNING - The pivot bolts strip/crossthread very easily! I nearly had a disaster on my hands - Both sides to. Be extra careful when putting those bolts back in. The bell housing is soft, and the bolts are stainless - they will chew it out very easily.

Last thing tomorrow is to put the drive back on and then new rams and hoses. Then I am done.

Anyone have anyt tips for bleeding the trim system?

Cheers
    J

sorry to post bit late , that part is not going out .
    easy way to pull bearing is if you use a proper tool for it .You could go to your local marine work shop and ask to lend the tool for you. they will ask a small deposit fee and it comes pretty easy with that tool.
    to bleed trim system just go fully up and fully down a few times on the trim button, it does it self from memory. just make sure you got plenty of the oil but do not overfill
    Last edited by MyWay; 29-10-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardworking View Post
    ... There was little to no water in the bellows, so I don't think I will have a problem...
    There is a big difference between 'little' and 'no' water when it comes to universals and bellows. You want the latter else it can/will lead to big problems later.

Don't know Mercruisers so can't help sorry, but while the leg is off I would get someone to come and sort it for you now.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Thanks mate. Everything looks in good shape, and have swapped all the bellows out now. I will see how she goes and get the guys to pull the leg on the next service.

Cheers
    J

I have most of the special tools for these things from "back in the day". The proper tool makes a heck of a difference.

From gimbal bearing pullers/drivers, seal installers and pullers, bearing carrier nut tool, to gear and bearing backlash setup tools.

I really should get it out of my loft and onto Gumtree so someone can use it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    I have most of the special tools for these things from "back in the day". The proper tool makes a heck of a difference.

From gimbal bearing pullers/drivers, seal installers and pullers, bearing carrier nut tool, to gear and bearing backlash setup tools.

I really should get it out of my loft and onto Gumtree so someone can use it!
    What do you want for it Mr Woo? I have a bravo 2, so if it suits that I may be interested.

I'll dig it out and see what's there mate.

So an update! Service is all done and finished.

Everything is re-greased
    Completely new trim rams
    Replaced the Hydro lines on Rams
    Replaced all the bellows
    Replaced all gaskets and seals etc
    Replaced all anodes
    Lube change.

She is good to go!

Was a heck of a job, but I love getting in a dirty, and now at least I know how it all works and is put together. Gives you so much more confidence in knowing how it ticks.

Thanks all
    J