Thread: Navman transducer to HDS

Navman transducer to HDS

I have a HDS 10 gen 2 (83/200) also have a navman 4500 (crappy sounder) hooked up to what I believe to be a quality 50/200 transducer (radarsonics (USA) transducer is what I have been told) it was quite expensive 7 year ago. I noticed the have an adapter cable navman to lowrance 6pin to 7 pin. wondering if anyone has done this or know what 7th pin is for and wether I will lose anything in this 7th pin. anyone know where I can buy one of these cables cheap. ANY help is greatly appreciated

Re: Navman transducer to HDS

Maybe try ringing Trymax Marine in Brisbane to make up a patch cable for you or your local techs if you trust them. Maybe around $70 if they have the right plugs. Mate got one done up by the local techs here on the Sunshine Coast to go from 1kw Lowrance/Airmar shoot through hull to the new Furuno 10 pin plug. In the end he had to look up the wire colours for them and could have done it himself nearly but they had the parts. If you can get the right plug, someone like Peterbo3 on here could do it with his small connectors. He has joined my transducer wires on my Furuno 585 and I still read perfect on the shelf.
    Last edited by Smithy; 19-10-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks smithy really appreciated. was hoping someone had already done this but maybe not.
    After all the talk on the lowrance 83/200 transducer and how the other 50/200 / Airmar transducers make all the difference in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by CATchin'Em View Post
    I have a HDS 10 gen 2 (83/200) also have a navman 4500 (crappy sounder) hooked up to what I believe to be a quality 50/200 transducer (radarsonics (USA) transducer is what I have been told) it was quite expensive 7 year ago. I noticed the have an adapter cable navman to lowrance 6pin to 7 pin. wondering if anyone has done this or know what 7th pin is for and wether I will lose anything in this 7th pin. anyone know where I can buy one of these cables cheap. ANY help is greatly appreciated

Old post but was going to ask the same question about the Navman to HDS lead, I have bought another boat and want a cheap easy way of using my HDS on the exisitng 50/200

Is there any cheaper options or just buy the $100 adaptor lead ?

the thing is ............................jsut because you can, doesnt mean you should. transducers do have working lives. and when your comming up on that 10 year mark,with regular use, those transducers are going to be performing not quite as funky as when new. tired you might say,
    and the cost of half decent "transom mount" transducers is often rather low these days for something that will give you a significant gain........partially because its fresh new elements

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member

You could try a Lowrance 50/200--they absolutely kill the Lowrance 83/200's that tend to come with the cheaper combos. made a huge difference to mine.

Cheapest option is to cut the plug off and attach a new one either with a repair kit (if they are still available) or by splicing the cable to a lowrance plug with a few feet of wire. This will however mean the transducer can't be plugged into the old unit if that is still required.

all good, just pondering options. I still want to use the HDS in both boats short term so wasn't going to do permanent splice/joints etc. maybe the adapter lead is the go

the new bigger boat will end up with the HDS with a new tranny down the track ( not sure what type yet ) , the older Navman will stay as back up I guess. the tranny is mounted on the port side of the motor for some reason, there is a vacant mounting plate for the new tranny on the starboard side. as long as they aren't on the same freq at the same time they shouldn't interfere with each other right ?