Thread: Two Pack and Epoxies on trailer frames

Two Pack and Epoxies on trailer frames

Just seeking opinions or experiences of using these on boat trailers.

Im not interested in being told how good gal is, because we all know that already ! So if you've had success or failure using the above, lets talk about it.
    I have a lot of experience with epoxies and two packs in other uses.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Re: Two Pack and Epoxies on trailer frames

Never used it on a trailer but have spread a fair bit of it around on steel tugs. If your surface prep is absolutely spot on, the structure doesn't flex and crack the paint and it doesn't get chipped, it goes OK. Apart from that - it's sh*t or at least the stuff I have used is. Biggest issue with a trailer would be that during assembly, it will damage and then you might as well have not bothered IMO. The trailer would have to be built the right way with no hollow sections as well.

About 18 months ago i painted new non galv cross members (and gal rails) with clear epoxy, messy job but happy with the result, my thinking is if any rust apprears i can see it and knock it back straight away, filled internal with fish oil and sealed so it will last for years, very tough finish too,

Big issue you will have with it is rusting underneath the paint, before you see it the rust is worse than it should be

Bah u just have to get the right paint. Ive got two painted trailers. One after the gal started to go. Wire brushed and painted. All good and that was many years ago. I think it's 2pack tar epoxy?. . u could just use epoxy enamel like galmet or white knight. Or LIC.

I had a trailer on a past boat that the gal had started to go on, Scubbed it back and gave it a 2 pack, its still going strong 10 years on and it lives at the coast.

Slightly off track but I had my new, never in water, fully gal trailer coated with TecTal internally seven plus years ago. Not clear but you can see through it with a strong light deep inside the box sections. No rust so far inside or out. I do flush it with plenty of fresh water after each trip.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Two Pack and Epoxies on trailer frames

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    .... So if you've had success or failure using [epoxy products] lets talk about it ...
    Many eons ago now Odes, but in 1986/7 we had great success using multiple epoxy products to protect a steel trailer ... because there were no galvanisers in PNG!

Trailer itself weighed 1.85t, made from a lot of sealed box section (no oil inside either), tri axle & no suspension nor brakes, so a lot of steel.

Product brand was Epiglass (now International Paints), which my father was an agent for. memory is a bit vague on the names but we used a 3 part/layer system, all of them epoxy.

1st step was a shot blast, then many hours of thinners and rags wiping every surface, which meant we then didn't have long in the humid tropics before a light film of surface corrosion started.

1st coats were 2 or 3 of an epoxy etch primer.

Next 2 or three coats were a product called 'Epiguard 199' (I think), a white thick-ish epoxy primer.

Then was 3 or maybe 4 coats of 'Epitar', an epoxy tar product.

All coats were sprayed in our spray booth, including touch-up repairs after we turned trailer over via chain block etc.

Boat & trailer used pretty much every weekend each day mostly, but some overnighters/longer trips too. In something like 1st 22 months did over 1000 hrs, with not too much trailer love (no washing at ramp, salt baking in the hot tropical sun), and not good trailer washes after the weekend either to be honest.

Then another 120 odd hrs over 2 periods when I was on uni break - over a 10 month period. Otherwise it/the boat lived in a shed for this 10 months 150m from the surf.

Boat/trailer was then shipped down to BNE as deck cargo, where it spent another 3 or 4 months at Pinkenbah with one dunk to get the boat on the trailer from the ramp.

Trailer was then converted to a ramp trailer on the canals at Broadbeach where it had not that much use over the next 8 or so years (maybe 20 trips) until the boat was sold and the trailer sold to someone else (to continue as a ramp trailer).

By the mid-Broadbeach time the trailer had some rust spots, which I wire buffed (grinder) and reapplied more primer & Epitar (by brush), but was overall surprisingly good condition considering the mistreatment it got.

Sorry for the long story, but if galvanising is not an option, it does show that epoxy can work well if you need it too .
    Cheers
    Brendon

Part trailer pic. Not sure if link will work on my phone though... yep

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Bah u just have to get the right paint. Ive got two painted trailers. One after the gal started to go. Wire brushed and painted. All good and that was many years ago. I think it's 2pack tar epoxy?. . u could just use epoxy enamel like galmet or white knight. Or LIC.
    I don't think you could expect much from those cheap ones, ive used them around house and shed.

So Some definite success if done properly. While ive had gal trailers over the years it suprises me how quickly they start to fail.

Ausfish Silver Member

Have a look at Ozscotts excellent trailer refurb thread: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=191562

We have just completed (September) our trailer frame under the 23 Caribbean, we had the trailer frame re-done in structural c section and two pack painted. After talking to the engineering shop he reckoned he would not paint a boat trailer unless it was open C-section, hence why we went down that road, so far so good with the paint.IMG_4105.jpgIMG_4112.jpgold trailer (3).jpgIMG_4037.jpgIMG_4167.jpg

No treatment will work without maintenance, be it gal, epoxy or plain old house paint. Whatever you do, don't think that epoxy paint today, never paint again. All coatings have limited life.

The main difference between gal and paint, is that re-galvanising a trailer 10 years down the track is a lot harder than repainting it. If you paint it, look for rust on a regular basis then sand back and repaint.

Well given kill rust is an epoxy based paint, I can talk abou tmy experience with that. Built my trailer from scratch about 10 years ago, derusted the completed frame with good ol rust converter, (just the surface rust that forms on black steel when exposed during construction) then kilrust straight over the bare metal, 2 coats. Earlier this year I put some lanox on some areas where the paint appeared to be flaking off some welds and looking rusty, other than that, got no complaints, it is still there, no other signs of rust.
    Been quite a few years since it saw any salt water, mostly fresh these days, but it did see it's share of salt in the early days.

Chlorinated rubber paint is probably the most durable and stickiest paint suitable for trailers.
    Jack.