Thread: Rolux

Rolux

It seems our beloved fail the moose test. Google moose test and discover why toyotas love a roll or two.
    If i had a hilux with anything other than skinny tyres, i would be nervous.
    Looking at the front end geometry, it seems that on hard lock the inside wheel is on the side wall. Seems primary safety has been ignored in the design.

Re: Rolux

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    It seems our beloved fail the moose test. Google moose test and discover why toyotas love a roll or two.
    If i had a hilux with anything other than skinny tyres, i would be nervous.
    Looking at the front end geometry, it seems that on hard lock the inside wheel is on the side wall. Seems primary safety has been ignored in the design.
    Been a long standing issue - My brother was working for a government dept a few years back doing audits & there were more than a few incidents with Hilux rollovers
    But as for the moose test ..... it's a pretty aggressive test which would unsettle plenty of cars let alone a high center of gravity ute

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep Porsche, Merc and a Jeep failed the so called iconic moose test.

see below
    https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-ne ... t-failure/
    http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/jeep ... 21tld.html

Oh but if its on the internet it must be true.

so what your saying is that because others failed the test but failed to get the same public traction, we shouldnt know about it? Personally , its 2016 and 1950's front ends have no place in the modern world.
    Other manufactures have it nailed, so its not so much to do with ride height and tyres , more the inherant flaws of the geometry toyota uses.
    they are promoted on their flexibility and a lot of family folk buy them. Lots of people modify them with bigger wheels and tyres. The test is all the more relevant as they are loaded with 800kg to simulate real conditions, think families on vacation. As much as they are go anywhere vehicles, we do spend long periods in them at highway speeds.
    if it makes toyota sit up , take notice and we end up with a better vehicle, we win.
    i guess rear disk brakes will have to wait another day, lol.

so what your saying is that because others failed the test but failed to get the same public traction, we shouldnt know about it? Personally , its 2016 and 1950's front ends have no place in the modern world.
    Other manufactures have it nailed, so its not so much to do with ride height and tyres , more the inherant flaws of the geometry toyota uses.
    they are promoted on their flexibility and a lot of family folk buy them. Lots of people modify them with bigger wheels and tyres. The test is all the more relevant as they are loaded with 800kg to simulate real conditions, think families on vacation. As much as they are go anywhere vehicles, we do spend long periods in them at highway speeds.
    if it makes toyota sit up , take notice and we end up with a better vehicle, we win.
    i guess rear disk brakes will have to wait another day, lol.

You will find most cars nowaday, including the chinese variants pass that "moose" test pretty easily.
    But 4x4 are getting better with one exception.
    15 years ago, nearly every yank 4x4 fell over. Now, they just walks it in, all the F trucks, Dodge Rams. So why Toyotas keeps on falling over is amazing,
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Well marketed, overpriced, poorly engineered and relying on suckers who have bought into the "unbreakable" Toyota hype to buy their product. Strangely the Toyota has one of the highest recall rates for their vehicles. Toyota couldn't pay me to own a Hilux.
    Since this video was made, Toyota recalibrated the VSC and the car passed the test, but not without a issue with the steering servo.

My Bad. The recalibrated VSC is only available in European sold Hilux and only then in the duel cab models.

Is the duel cab the model where the two guys in the front seat take to each other with swords to decide on who drives and who sets the stereo controls?
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Hahaha. Yes, that's the one.
    I meant dual cab.