Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunshine Coast New Boat - what to get?

Sunshine Coast New Boat - what to get?

Gday Guys,

Just signed up to the forums, been a reader for a while but first post. So go easy on me!

I have recently moved to the Sunshine Coast area, and looking to get myself back in the boating game.

Had a few diff boats over the years, but it's always been a fairly easy choice, based on the area and type of fishing. But the SSC is so varied and different in terms of conditions and types of fishing...that in short we are so spoilt for choice it makes the choice of boat tougher.

I have been leaning towards the Evolution 550 Cuddy or Streaker 5700. But starting to think something smaller may be a better option, to fish the rivers.

I do want to get outside but the jump in the costs of boats to handle offshore versus something to fish the rivers is pretty big.

Be interested to hear any feedback you guys may be able to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Sunshine Coast New Boat - what to get?

The serious reef fishing on the Sunny Coast is a long way offshore. Personally I feel anything that is small enough to be really versatile as far as creek and estuary work is concerned will be a bit small for the bluewater if you are wanting to fish areas like the Barwon's and the Hard's. I went through the same thing myself when upgrading to a 6 metre rig from a 4.5. Ultimately ended up with a cheap tinny for the creeks as well.

i go with a cat or tri hull, if you want best of both worlds

Saltdog78, it may help to know what your budget is?

if I was in your situation I would be looking for something like http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...=0&pss=Premium

excellent inshore boat that would really dominate the rivers and Moreton bay and with a few mods like trim tabs could be a great fair weather off-shore boat. I have a smaller 4.3m version and on the right day I used to fish it as wide as Caloundra wide and even the Barwons. Easy for trips to murpy's Caloundra 12 mile and Coolum.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

yep...there used to be a lot of these down Inverloch vic way..(.I see this one is at nearby Warragul. ) There is quite an evil bar at Inverloch out into Bass Strait and these were considered very capable boats for their size

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Saltdog78, it may help to know what your budget is?

if I was in your situation I would be looking for something like http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...=0&pss=Premium

excellent inshore boat that would really dominate the rivers and Moreton bay and with a few mods like trim tabs could be a great fair weather off-shore boat. I have a smaller 4.3m version and on the right day I used to fish it as wide as Caloundra wide and even the Barwons. Easy for trips to murpy's Caloundra 12 mile and Coolum.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Lovey80 - Budget somewhere around $50-60k. But that was for something to get offshore. If I was looking at river/estuary I wouldn't want to spend much above $40k.

I guess that leads to another question...new or second hand? Any thoughts on that would be appreciated also.

Scottar - are there any nearby reefs worth fishing for the smaller stuff? In all honesty, I love my reef fishing but more about table fish and bit of sport than the trophy fish.

If you anticipate keeping the boat for a long time, and you knew exactly what you want in the boat, I would be happy to new. If there is any likelihood you will want to upsize/downsize in the next five years or so, I would look at secondhand, so as to avoid the depreciation loss.

A real dilemma Dog.
    This is what I did. I can cast net in the river but can also get onto the Barwons and Cal 12mile, Wide etc
    https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats...dNumber=V9BNXX

Some food for thought guys! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltDog78 View Post

Scottar - are there any nearby reefs worth fishing for the smaller stuff? In all honesty, I love my reef fishing but more about table fish and bit of sport than the trophy fish.

The reefs are there but like all reef close to major population centres, they get hit pretty hard. They will still produce fish but from what I have seen of them, it will take time to nut them out. I have had the odd trip at the peak holiday times that has produced good fish but it is usually pretty hard going. The local boys that fish mid week probably have a better time of it.

My 'best of both worlds' for your location would be a 5.5m fibreglass centre console with an electric up front. Fair few brands to choose from and I think it would tick most of your boxes. Certainly would get one under budget

With that budget there would be some very capable offshore catamarans in your window. What's your storage requirements and tow vehicle?

Here is a very seaworthy boat at a great price. You'd have cash left over for a ally trailer and some customising.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...so=0&pss=Price

Gday Lovey. Have room to store a trailer at home now worries. Towing with a Jeep Wrangler.

This may be a silly question, but is there a reason to opt for a twin hull or center console, ahead of a single hull cuddy? (I can think of a few possible reasons...but interested to hear other peoples thoughts)

For 50-60k budget why not get a 50k offshore rig and 10k tinny? Best if both worlds