Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Vacum Sealer Machine

Which Vacum Sealer Machine

G'day folks - absolutely sick of sandwich bags for storing fish / food. Looking at buying a vacuum sealer / cryovac machine. Have looked at reviews but would rather 'hear' from you all about experiences, costs, access to bags / rolls and price. Not tooo worried about price, don't want to fall into the category of 'get what you paid for'.

Any info, advice, experience welcome as I have never owned one before and hope to get my hands on one before Xmas if possible.
    Thanks
    Troy

Re: Which Vacum Sealer Machine

Hi Troy,
    Picked one up at a boat show about a year ago. From Diamond Marketing, & is just called a vac sealer.
    Works fine, but buying extra bags off the net is a nightmare. Took weeks, many texts & firm emails to finally get them, even though I paid up front.
    Definitely helps with fish quality. Can't remember how much it was, but under $100 by memory. A great investment apart from the bag issue.
    Tony

I have an Italian made ezivac. It's slow but very good. Sunbeam food savers are also good. Aldi ones are cheap but pretty crap for mine.

I bought a Sunbeam about 3 years ago. Very happy with it.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Unicorn View Post
    I have an Italian made ezivac. It's slow but very good. Sunbeam food savers are also good. Aldi ones are cheap but pretty crap for mine.
    My sunbeam has hissy fits from time to time but the boss has a aldi one and it works fantastic(lucky?).I use the aldi when the boss is not around.

We have a Breville unit that we received as a gift. Seems to go alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    My sunbeam has hissy fits from time to time but the boss has a aldi one and it works fantastic(lucky?).I use the aldi when the boss is not around.
    i find he sealing tends to let go or something like that on the aldi ones. I have fish in the freezer now that has frost and burn on it that was done in an Aldi one.

Pacfoods is the way to go. Lucky Phill put me onto them. I have one of the heavy duty stainless steel units. Also buy the bags from them in bulk.

I have the food saver from harvey Norman. About $300.
    I'm only on my 3rd roll of bags. But it's used for all my bulk meat and fish.

Only things I'm having issues with.
    It's hard to get liquids like marinades to let the air to escape from behind them.
    I don't like that I loose 7-8cm of bag each time I seal it. Maybe it could be designed to be closer.

Things I like.

The bag stays inside the unit.
    The cutter inside works well.
    The pulse function lets me move and push the air trapped behind the liquids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Pacfoods is the way to go. Lucky Phill put me onto them. I have one of the heavy duty stainless steel units. Also buy the bags from them in bulk.
    Don't have one of their machines but buy the rolls and bags from Pacfoods. I have a sunbeam and a cheapie from the now defunct Rays Outdoors. Both work although the sunbeam is quicker.

3 things I found over a number of years.
    1 bags ain't bags, the really cheap ones don't appear to seal well.
    2 I found for some reason cryovacing with the smooth side down works better
    3 never store the cryovacer in the closed position otherwise the pads for sealing flatten over time and causes problems
    4 Ok, I can't count. I will wrap most foods in a freezer bag first, that way you can put a number of portions in a bag, cut it open, remove one portion then reseal. Also used bags are then great for use on excess bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip it up View Post
    I have the food saver from harvey Norman. About $300.
    I'm only on my 3rd roll of bags. But it's used for all my bulk meat and fish.

Only things I'm having issues with.
    It's hard to get liquids like marinades to let the air to escape from behind them.
    I don't like that I loose 7-8cm of bag each time I seal it. Maybe it could be designed to be closer.

Things I like.

The bag stays inside the unit.
    The cutter inside works well.
    The pulse function lets me move and push the air trapped behind the liquids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    With marinades, put a bag in a container upright and partially freeze before sealing, another tip from Lucky Phil.

Fantastic - thank you everyone for the information - brilliant, exactly what I was after. Definitely look at the Sunbeam and locate Pacfoods? - guess google will do that for me.
    Given me something to do in my moments of work boredom today ye ha!!!
    Great info again folks - much appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Troy

G'day TheRealAndy - just a question about the bags - what 'micron' size bags do you use? I will be storing mainly meat and fillets 90% of the time? and is the cost ok?

Scroman try these
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champion!! I take it these are a good general purpose bag? What sort of $$ are we talking Dignity?