Thread: Cape Trip, ideas and suggestions

Question Cape Trip, ideas and suggestions

I didn't get to the Cape a couple of years ago, so 2017 seems very likely.

I don't won't to go to the Cape, to say " I've been to the Cape ", in fact, I am unsure if I want to even get to the tip, not interested really.

What I'd like to do is find a location and use it as a base to explore and fish from.

Maybe Seisia or similar. Even Weipa or Mapoon.

There will be a number of vehicles going and some tinnies.

So, from experience... where do you suggest and what items should be taken ( ones you never think of ), further, what time of year... I know after the wet, but is there any length of time after the last rain, one needs to take into consideration.

Any places, rivers, creeks etc do you think would be worth exploring / fishing.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Cape Trip, ideas and suggestions

I have only been up there once (last year) and fishing time was limited as I was travelling with my family. I believe Weipa/mapoon is an excellent area to explore but we only stopped there for one night and didn't wet a line.

Further north, we made base camp at Loyalty Beach which is a stones throw from Seisa. Tinnies can be launched on the beach. Livies are plentiful off the wharf at Seisa if you can throw a cast net. My favourite fishing spot was in the Jacky Jacky river system. There is a ramp about 20 minutes from Loyalty. It is an extensive system so take a gps and track your course if you head that way. The fishing was awesome but be very aware of the salty handbags - they are everywhere even if you don't see them.

As far as timing goes, we were there sometime in August. The hotter the better to switch the barra on.

I suggest a month at Laura pub sleeping on a stretcher cot and watching The Lobster on a continuous loop. All this will only be good at Christmas time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Unicorn View Post
    I suggest a month at Laura pub sleeping on a stretcher cot and watching The Lobster on a continuous loop. All this will only be good at Christmas time.
    I'll need some company and a movie critic to join me..... ? any volunteers ?
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Hi Phil,
    Definitely do the Tele Track and drp in to the falls. Make sure you have a snorkel and a blind to put on the front of your 4by. If you can get down Palmy First crossing on the telle track heading north) you will be all good. Make sure you walk Nolans crossing as you have to pick the right line cause this is the crossing where most 4bys come to grief
    Good spot to camp is Mutee Heads right on the beach about 20klm south of siesa. We stayed there twice for 5 days each time and only had once othe couple stay 1 night. Was very peaceful. Don't swim there thought as there was a 4m saltie cruising around. The mouth of the Jardine is about 5 or so klm by boat south from there. I went there several times best Barra fishing was 23 in 3 hours. also try trolling in the mouth. Amazing amount of species and anything is possible. I was in a 12ft tinnie with a 15hp. Also went out to the tuna schools and lost 6 to sharks before getting one back. Verilla point is also good which is a bit further south. We also went on the eastern side but it was always blowing. Hope this helps.

Goona

Came back around two months ago. The place I wish I could have spent more time is definitely the penyfather river mouth. It is only about an hour north of Weipa.
    Great place for tinies. Off shore and in the river.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I guess what it amounts to is, when the weather is best for travelling and camping, the fishing is not the best, so in a way, you need to decide which way you want to go, max fishing, or better, more enjoyable weather. While I have done lots of camping, I am by no means an expert, but there is only a few basic things to cover, everything else you can tolerate or live without, number one_ you need to be able to sleep, so up north, you need comfort and insect proofing, down south, you need warmth! Next you need to be able to see, so, adequate area type lighting is a must, tooling around trying to cook, eat or setup with torches is tolerable, but not ideal! Next up is bugs, flies will drive you nuts, mosquitoes with have you scratching and slapping all day and night, and sand flies can ruin even the best trip, so, screened enclosure, repellents, spray and anything else is a must, anywhere you go. And lastly, a way to make a quick cup of tea/coffee or a simple meal without setting up the full camp is a must, your camper/tent needs to be simple and quick to setup, unless you are going to one spot for a couple of weeks, then you can have the multi room tent and stuff. Just to add, try a few short trips to sort out what you actually need, most people take a thousand thing things, when in fact a single item will do the job.

As per Noelm post, bugs can be a nightmare. Up in the Robinson River one year we had to strip the tail lights of one of the vehicles to cover the mess tent lights then strung them up away from the mess tent otherwise we got more protein ftom the bugs than from our meals. Ever since we carried orange transparent wrapping paper, it folds flat and sits under the floor mats and takes no space. You could probably use yellow LED lights these days but for weight and space the paper is cheaper and takes up less space.

We also carry some welding rods and a piece of boron glass in the glove box , amazing the type of welding helmet you can make from a beer carton and a piece of glass, just tape it across the top and you can easily flip it up etc. Spot welding has gotten us out of a few spots, especially on a trailer that nearly fell apart on us, fixed and never had another repair done after that.

We always carry jumper leads for that purpose, at least two sets as you need 24 volts, either good heavy duty ones or cheapies will do but get a copper bar and screw a piece into the jaws so that you get really good contact, cut a verical groove in one of the positives to securely hold the rod.

Hacksaw blades should be in your tool kit, but once again I have a number of them in a sealed plastic bag under the floor mats.

Haven't done a trip for quite a while now so have forgotten what other essentials we learnt to take, the trouble with getting older, but all the usual things.

Just remembered, one of those little cigarette lighter torches, Red Devil ? , and a small spool of resin cred solder has saved us more than once.

Another good spot is Janie creek just above the Pennyfarther, spent 10 day's up there & had a ball. Only down side is it is a bit of a run down the beach from Mapoon.

i did Mapoon for a fishing trip in July 2016, fishing was insane. The amount tuna within 3kms of the ramp has to be seen to be believed. We were hitting 7kg+ Tuna every time non stop until our arms ached... birds all the way to the horizon, the reef fishing was ridiculous also.. all the usual suspects but the parrot or tuskas as the locals call them up their were the most fun- models over 50cm go very very hard even on 10,000 sized shimano gear it was a true battle. Just have to try get your fish up quick before the tax man comes. Plenty of other stuff to do up there land based also. I did 20 casts for 20 queenies on slugs at Janie creek was mental! Also did some mud crabbing.

We drove to seisa and headed on the barge to TI had boats everywhere we went but Mapoon was by far the better fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    Make sure you walk Nolans crossing as you have to pick the right line cause this is the crossing where most 4bys come to grief
    Dont worry, he's got some experience with drowning cars