Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fg knots

Fg knots

This has probably been done but how many of ausfishers glue there knots.
    Had a few let go and not sure what I had done.
    Any clues?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: Fg knots

Yes I've tried superglue but found that it lasts only a short time, I think it doesn't like flexing and breaks down fairly quickly.
    With the FG knot ensure the knot is very tight as you make it, also ensure you have at least 30 turns on the knot, To ensure the turns are tight I stand or sit on the leader spool so that both the leader and the two lengths of braid have plenty of tension.

There are many different ways to tie what people call the FG, Sebille or GT knots, whatever you want to call them. Basically they are all the same knot or close variants, as far as I can figure.

I generally put a dab of superglue on my GT knots, but it isn't to make them stronger, it is simply to keep the tag end from sticking up and possibly from unravelling through repeated running thrubthe guides. Sometimes I don't bother though.

if yours are coming undone then It would point to something wrong in how you tie them.

Below is how I tie mine. Easy in almost all conditions, except in very light line if its windy! Or low light due to my average eyesight!

Never had a failure and have stopped some serious fish when using them as my leader knot. As mnetioned by someone else you need to work them up tight at each stage as per the instructions.

On reasonably heavy line like 50lg braid to 60 or 80 lb fluorocarbon I usually tie exactly as per the instructions below. 2 sets of 6 over/under wraps, then a few half hitches. The only mod I have done is the last hitch I do 2 wraps instead of one to help lock the knot off.

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I do the half hitches and then "whip finish" with about a dozen turns much the same as finishing a rod runner binding. Did they "let go" or break under load ?

I think it was because i didnt pull them hard enough at the end before clipping. Time to sit down and tie a few slowly.
    Thanks for the link and responses

If they're too long, you will not be able to tension them properly and they will fail and unravel after passing through guides repeatedly. Use more turns for lighter line, less for heavy. The knot works by having the braid bite into the softer mono, which when you tension the knot can be seen as a 'blend' of the two line colours. Shorten it, give it a good pull and it should be all good.

Thanks phantom.
    This maybe the problem. Mine are fairly long thinking more is better.
    It is 30lb jbraid to 80lb leader.
    Cheers

I have been using it for 6lb braid onto 6lb leader. I have found 25 to be the magic number for this.
    And as stated before use a few less for heavier line.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Thats interesting Pres
    Who else has a magic number of wraps for a given breaking strain or diameter.
    Thanks chips thats a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by stue2 View Post
    Thanks phantom.
    This maybe the problem. Mine are fairly long thinking more is better.
    It is 30lb jbraid to 80lb leader.
    Cheersů

Stue, with this size line in would definitely use the slim beauty, quicker and easier to tie and and only about 2% less knot strength. I use the FG knot for up to 20 lb, mostly though on 6lb and 10 lb braid.

And as mentioned after I do 10 turns I tighten the knot before doing the next 10. Both the FG and Slim Beauty rely on the braid biting (not necessarily the correct term) into the leader to stop them slipping.

For what it is worth. I reckon it will vary depending on the braid and the leader material that is used.

Quote Originally Posted by preso View Post
    For what it is worth. I reckon it will vary depending on the braid and the leader material that is used.

Yep, totally agree, if tied correctly they will all work but some braids are just a pita to work with. There are just too many cheap braids out there now and some old standbys are getting bad, I bought some bixxxc braid a couple of years ago and it was a shocker, 30 lb turned out to break at nearly 50 lb, and the equivalent thickness of cheap 25 lb mono and a pita to tie. Sent it back.

Unfortunately some braids are over priced as well

Snug the knot tight immediately after the first half hitch, then proceed with the next two.....snug it tight again then trim the leader tag.
    I then do 5 wraps around the mainline then snug that down to the end of the leader tag rather than another three half hitches.
    Jack.