Thread: Lowrance Elite-7 Ti Problem (pics)

Question Lowrance Elite-7 Ti Problem (pics)

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a Lowrance Elite 5 or 7 Ti with the Totalscan Transducer that I could compare images with in shallow water.

I cant get any sort of clear picture in under 10ft of water it's just a mess and unreadable. The water I was in was clear with no fish or debris.

I tried every setting under the sun and with engine and other electrics off. I dialed the sensitivity on the CHIRP back to -6 to get it to look like the pic attached, the Down and Side imaging is auto sensitivity but was a mess with lines and clutter.

I came from a DSI unit and it was nothing like this.

I have contacted CH smith and I will see how they respond about it.

Cheers,

SS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My goal for 2015 is to accomplish the goals of 2014 which I should have done in 2013 because I made a promise in 2012 which I planned on keeping back in 2011.

Re: Lowrance Elite-7 Ti Problem (pics)

more often than not its transducer location. i only say that because it would be handy to see where/how the transducer is mounted

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    more often than not its transducer location. i only say that because it would be handy to see where/how the transducer is mounted

Moose

It's mounted on the transducer mount where the last 3 were fitted and I get the same images with the engine off drifting like I said in the OP

Cheers,

SS
    My goal for 2015 is to accomplish the goals of 2014 which I should have done in 2013 because I made a promise in 2012 which I planned on keeping back in 2011.

just because its in the same place shouldnt garuntee performance. each transducer has different depths of mount etc. but thats cool. have you tried different pallets. i prefer blue myself

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

i got one, i get clear image in shallow water (1-5m), tho mine is mount to the edge like the following, most of yours is above water i'm assuming

f.jpg

otherwise if u get clear in deep and bad in shallow then it normal, if it bad in deep and shallow then it your mount, otherwise check the wiring for bad pin or wet ones

I just installed one and have only done a very quick trial the other day - will try and take a photo of the screen next time, so you've got something to compare. I replaced the standard transducer from Gen1 HDS and put the Total scan in the same place.

I'm not familiar with the exact unit but the picture simply looks like there is too much gain for the depth. Typically with a "traditional" lowrance, these symptoms could be cured by gain reduction (which you have tried), colourline reduction (not sure whether it plays a part in down and sidescan images) or by using filtering (surface clarity adjustment etc). You could also try using manual gain for the down and side scan to see if it clears it up. Just bare in mind though that the more you reduce the clutter, the less you are going to see in the way of life.

mitc - It's just mounted like yours to the right of the engine underwater in the common spot people mount them in. It's bad in shallow like real bad but gets better the deeper you go, I will check again the wiring.

hazza - If you can take a pic of the screen in 2m of water that would be great thanks.

scott - I agree it looks like the sensitivity is way too high and the chirp image sensitivity is negative 6 in the pic above and it still look likes shit. I doubt any real fish would show up on it if I turn it down lower :S The structure and downscan has no manual sensitivity, it only has contrast which just made the clutter lighter or darker. I tried "high" surface clarity and "high" noise rejection and it cleared the surface on the CHIRP but not the bottom and does basically nothing on the structure or downscan. All this filterings a joke and shouldnt be needed as much, my last Lowrance downscan was clear in shallow water.

I don't think it's a setting I think it's an issue with the unit :S