Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Panoptix PS30

Garmin Panoptix PS30

Hey all
    Installed my Garmin 7412 with GT51 and a Panoptix PS30 transducers last week and took out my boat to test today
    Well the displays looks great as I left the ramp idling along playing with my new gadget, the Panoptix looked fantastic and the definition excellent and then I went up onto the plan
    Lmao the GT51 threw up a big rooster tail and now I know the spray guard is a necessity on these newer long transducers but it was nothing compared to the way the Panoptix reacted, I had to take it off for the day until I manufacture a spray guard, it pushed the water straight up in front of it through the gap in the transom mount bracket that comes with the unit n swamps the side of the motor
    Anyone else mounted one of these and how'd they resolve this, I think raising it a bit and a guard is the go
    Cheers
    Craig

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Garmin Panoptix PS30

yeah we have had a fair bit of spray on our demo boat with the ps30. wasnt a great deal we could do with location so a spray shield was fabbed up and since its been groovy

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    yeah we have had a fair bit of spray on our demo boat with the ps30. wasnt a great deal we could do with location so a spray shield was fabbed up and since its been groovy
    Cheers Moose
    So just a deflector plate over the top for the PS30, what height did u go with I might raise mine a little
    I thought the same for the GT51 but seen a Garmin product that is a flat plate the goes between the transducer and the bracket and from what I can figure protrudes forward have u had any feedback on these or do u think just fab another deflector for it whilst I'm doing the other
    Craig

yeah the garmin deflecters face towards the bow and it seems out of the box wouldnt do anything but they work remarkably well!.
    as for the PS transducer we folded a piece of 3mm stainless 304 to form a slight bent 3 sides top and a longer back plate that mounted just above the ps30. on our hull "haines hunter classic". we found moving it up and down slightly made no difference to the spray . but the cover did a great job of stopping it from smashing against the side of the honda.

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    yeah the garmin deflecters face towards the bow and it seems out of the box wouldnt do anything but they work remarkably well!.
    as for the PS transducer we folded a piece of 3mm stainless 304 to form a slight bent 3 sides top and a longer back plate that mounted just above the ps30. on our hull "haines hunter classic". we found moving it up and down slightly made no difference to the spray . but the cover did a great job of stopping it from smashing against the side of the honda.
    Hey Moose
    I'm thinking to invert the mount bracket n get the transducer up high as its a slow troll transducer not really for planning
    I know this could inhibit the forward scan option but my main use will be 3D historical and straight down whilst drifting, my concern is will I cook the transducer whilst underway doing this or would I have to select to power off the PS30 whilst under way for longer periods or is this just a stupid idea
    Sent u a pm
    Cheers
    Craig

Are you happy with the performance of the panoptix? They look good but does it perform the same on the boat as it does in the demo mode in the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Hey Moose
    I'm thinking to invert the mount bracket n get the transducer up high as its a slow troll transducer not really for planning
    I know this could inhibit the forward scan option but my main use will be 3D historical and straight down whilst drifting, my concern is will I cook the transducer whilst underway doing this or would I have to select to power off the PS30 whilst under way for longer periods or is this just a stupid idea
    Sent u a pm
    Cheers
    Craig

Craig, can you post a pic of your install? I am thinking of putting one on our edencraft and would also like to have it above the water line to reduce spray at speed. can see us using it over 6 knots either.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by troy.89 View Post
    Are you happy with the performance of the panoptix? They look good but does it perform the same on the boat as it does in the demo mode in the shop?
    Looks like it should be good bottom definition was excellent
    Had only a small test as had to take it off for the day whilst I manufacture a shield
    I'll take some pics when I reinstall n test to my liking

hows the gt51 one going?

www.moosemarine.com.au

Hey Moose
    It looked good, still need to put a shield on it
    I didn't get last weekend as wind was shit n I sat on my arse n watched cars go round n round
    This weekend hopefully

Yeh mate that would be great. I am having mine installed at the end of the week. I was a little unsure about it but bit the bullet and decided to get it done. Would be nice to compare once it's up and running.

Hi all
    I fitted the guard that was generously donated by Moose to the GT51 "cheers Moose" and the guard I manufactured for the PS30 yesterday and headed to the ramp for a second trial run today
    Well as per below pic I've gone from not being able to see the starboard side of the opti to no telltale issue at all "yer baby lol"
    I was around Jumpin area so the SS I have don't have much structure but going by the detail I was gettin I'm happy with the Panoptix
    I like the 3D historical when searching ground and found some holes that looked to be holding fish
    The live view looks good as well and I'm sure I spotted a fish or two whist drifting
    Only time will tell how good this gear is as I'm on a learning curve reading it ect

So I have gone over to the dark side and brought a Riviera and my transom mount Transducers have to go as I can't use them on the new toy
    If anyone's interested selling my GT51 and Panoptix PS30

not a maritimo ? jk Rivs make a great boat.

www.moosemarine.com.au

Got an older one Moose 1990 35 Blue Water
    Brought it with one motor blown and I'm in the process of putting in 2 new motors
    What have I done