Thread: Fraser Island Red Mayhem

Fraser Island Red Mayhem

Hi Ausfisho's, Last wednesday the weather looked like it was going to be kind to me for once on some days off i had planned. With 10knt variables forecast and a quick ring around it wasn't long until we had the boat packed and heading for a late afternoon wide bay bar crossing which we were pleasantly surprised to see it very flat on low tide. The sun had disappeared by now so the plan was to work our way to the shelf by around 11pm ready for sun up, Dropping on a few little shows on the way produced some nice snapper to 4kg and spangled emperor. It was now 11.30pm and we just arrived to an area where i have caught reds on the shelf in the past to find it very quiet so the pick was deployed and we all hit the sack until 3.30am. Once the anchor was up we started drifting over this area for a few parrot and the usual suspects so it was time to move on and find something fresh, after a lot of travelling back and forth and dropping on everything we could see on the sounder we were chipping away and slowly filling the box until i drove over a very small isolated lift which had a good show of husser on it. After 1 drift we all had good size parrot going in the box and the hussar were very thick. Next drift baits were deployed and i was the first hook up on a solid fish then i heard a yahoo behind me and then followed by the 2 other blokes screaming i'm on as well, the battle was on. A 4 way hookup on good reds is what dreams are made of and what we have all been wanting for a long time, i was the first to bring a red on board just to realise i had my mate stutzy's around 6kg and realising that my braid was wrapped around the red, the other blokes were still fighting there fish while i was unwinding my line and releasing the red on the floor which seemed like it took forever. Once i had the braid untangled i thought for sure i've lost my fish but the rod was loaded and i was away with the red floating in mid water, after a short battle and 2 more reds hitting the deck from the other blokes up popped my 13kg red emperor. High fives all round and 4 good reds on the deck going from 13kg then 8kg and 2 6kg reds so i motored around for another drift to find the same scenario but this time it was a 3 way hookup on reds to 11.5kg. 20mins and 2 drifts with 7 reds was hectic and unreel to say the least. We left that rock and kept working and dropping on everything we seen for the day, By now the sun was going down and the esky's were full it was time to call a day so we had a long travel back to bar and made a inward crossing at 9.30pm. When filleting the fish we noticed the reds were full of spanner crabs and had been guttsing themselves on them, found that pretty interesting.

Cheers for now Justin.

13kg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3565.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	114548

4 Way hookup

Name:	IMG_3573.jpg 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	114549

Name:	IMG_3586.jpg 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	114550

13 and a 11.5

Name:	IMG_3582-1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	114551

Name:	20161007_072042.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	114552

Name:	IMG_3587-1.jpg 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	114553

Name:	IMG_3552.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	114554

Inside most of the reds were spanner crabs.

Name:	20161007_114916.jpg 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	114555

Name:	IMG_3560.jpg 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	114556

Re: Fraser Island Red Mayhem

Great trip well done. I would love session like that very jealous.

You go alright Big Fella..good stuff

Great catch, well done

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Great trip well done. I would love session like that very jealous.
    Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    You go alright Big Fella..good stuff
    Haha dunno bout that jas, but me old girl keeps tellin me to stay out there..hhmmm.haha

Great report & pics Feral.

I just don't know how my wife will feel if I start baiting up with her favourite spanner crabs though

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    Great catch, well done
    Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Great report & pics Feral.

I just don't know how my wife will feel if I start baiting up with her favourite spanner crabs though
    Haha yeah bit hard.lol
    Thanks mate.

Top work! I nailed a seven kilo red off 1770 a couple of weeks ago and it nearly pulled my arms off! Can't imagine what a 13 kg unit would do!

Quote Originally Posted by drpete View Post
    Top work! I nailed a seven kilo red off 1770 a couple of weeks ago and it nearly pulled my arms off! Can't imagine what a 13 kg unit would do!
    Well done on the 7kg mate,plenty more to come i'm sure.
    Yes they go pretty hard, generally have a couple runs trying to get you back to the bottom or structure.

Yeah that's exactly what this one did. Wrapped me round the reef after the hookup. I gave him heaps of slack and got him out but there was still a decent sized chunk of coral branch wrapped around the line. Lucky to get him in.

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feral cat View Post
    It was now 11.30pm and we just arrived to an area where i have caught reds on the shelf in the past to find it very quiet so the pick was deployed and we all hit the sack until 3.30am.
    Hi Justin, can you tell me how deep you were when you dropped the anchor and how much rope you actually have to let out?

Cheers
    Nick

[QUOTE=OcciferNick;1623622]Hi Justin, can you tell me how deep you were when you dropped the anchor and how much rope you actually have to let out?

Cheers
    Nick[/QUOTE

Hi nick. We were in about 60 mtrs of water for a rest so would of been about 85 mtrs out. ( not sure to be exact)
    I have 8mtrs of big chain with a reef pick that's got five 10mm prongs and filled with lead.