Thread: Catalina 16

Catalina 16

Anyone got one? Thinking of getting a 4500. Keen to hear reports

Re: Catalina 16

Cmon someone must have one or know someone who has one?! Even if it's the earlier model

I've reeled a 5kg red before with it for 5mins, I must say my sustain 5000 drag it in better or maybe my setup was better... personally Daiwa your just paying for the name, Shimano all the way sorry, maybe not the answer you're looking for but do check sustain out (it half the price), there are better in my experience otherwise i just brought Ultegra C14+ and dam the distance from surf beach is beyond!

Google Allan Hawk he buys them uses them and pulls them apart to see how they hold up and make your mind up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Google Allan Hawk he buys them uses them and pulls them apart to see how they hold up and make your mind up from there.
    Hi Chris,

Yes Alan Hawk gave the previous model massive wraps so hopefully the 2016 model hasn't gone backwards. They appear to be just about as good as a Saltiga for a couple of hundred bucks less.

Mate I have the new saltiga ...new Stella...new sustain and the saltiga eats them both for smoothness..
    if I was to purchase another reel it would be the Catalina as it has nearly all the same gear as a saltiga you would not go wrong with in to me it is daiwa equal to the twin power
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by mitc69 View Post
    I've reeled a 5kg red before with it for 5mins, I must say my sustain 5000 drag it in better or maybe my setup was better... personally Daiwa your just paying for the name, Shimano all the way sorry, maybe not the answer you're looking for but do check sustain out (it half the price), there are better in my experience otherwise i just brought Ultegra C14+ and dam the distance from surf beach is beyond!
    Your way off the mark, i've got the previous catalina in the 3500 size and the new one in a 5000 and they are brilliant and a shimano sustain doesn't even come close. Did you have the drag correctly on fighting that red because my 3500 matched to a samurai 15-25lb handled a 15kg GT pretty easily. The Catalina is a Saltiga with a few less bearings and current model Saltiga is a better reel that the current Stella according to Alan Hawk even though he doesn't like mag seal as it's not easily user serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Mate I have the new saltiga ...new Stella...new sustain and the saltiga eats them both for smoothness..
    if I was to purchase another reel it would be the Catalina as it has nearly all the same gear as a saltiga you would not go wrong with in to me it is daiwa equal to the twin power
    Yeah but the Twin Power is not similar at all to the Stella in the same way the Catalina is to the Saltiga, from what i've heard it's basically a Saragosa.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Your way off the mark, i've got the previous catalina in the 3500 size and the new one in a 5000 and they are brilliant and a shimano sustain doesn't even come close. Did you have the drag correctly on fighting that red because my 3500 matched to a samurai 15-25lb handled a 15kg GT pretty easily. The Catalina is a Saltiga with a few less bearings and current model Saltiga is a better reel that the current Stella according to Alan Hawk even though he doesn't like mag seal as it's not easily user serviceable.
    Thanks Chris. I was originally after the Cat 4500 but am now thinking of the Cat 5000, which is basically the 4500 body but with the bigger spool. The 5000 low gear model (assuming this is the one you have) still retrieves a bit over 100cm per revolution so I think this looks like a great all round reel, spinning, jigging etc. That is the feedback I was hoping for. I normally buy Shimano reels but I don't think they have a reel to match the Catalina. I didn't want to go top end (Saltiga / Stella) but wanted to go better than mid-range (Saragosa, Saltist etc). It is pretty much Catalina v's Twin Power and from what I can gather the Twin Powers aren't that great (value for money). Cheers

I have the older Catalina 4500H.......it's about 6 ears old now and never missed a beat same production line as Saltiga.
    it's caught black bass in png Spanish mack gt's etc.......smooth as can't go wrong IMO.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.