Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jeep or nissan patrol?

jeep or nissan patrol?

Well my not so trusty Mitsubishi chalanger has given up the ghost once and for all, so the time has come for a new tow vehicle.

i've narrowed my choice down to the jeep grand cherokee and the Nissan patrol as both are in budget with a very high braked towing capacity. but i can't seem to make the choice, i'm looking at the jeep with the 5.7 hemi with around 130K and about 05-07 year models or patrols with the 4.8 petrol motor around the 170K mark and 02 year models as these both fall into a $15Kish budget.

so far the jeep is a known entity as I've owned a similar car before in the 4.7, it was a comfortable car very nice to drive but had a few niggles with reliability, it towed very well and coped with offered duty well enough. however parts are more expensive and aftermarket support is much less then the patrol and as mentioned the reliability is not so good.

On the other hand the patrol seems a solid option with tons of space, good track record and more then enough grunt to pull the boat and gear. however they are more expensive, with higher miles and generally older.

could any one way in on this one to help me make the choice, my heart says powerful, cheaper and more comfortable jeep while my head suggest go with the more reliable Nissan with a wider range of parts and availability.

Re: jeep or nissan patrol?

Patrol is more reliable but unless you have a soft foot thirsty, but then again so will the Jeep suck ULP.
    Have you looked at a Patrol in diesel? Mine is yet to hit 200K and runs like the wind.

Chimo

Check out patrol4x4.com for info on the Patrol (but be careful many of them will try to talk you into a diesel which will just open up more options)

Can't speak for Jeep but I read good things about Patrol 4.8 (I have a GQ 4.2TD). The 4.8 is a powerful motor and will pass anything but a petrol bowser!

What is urge to get a V8 4x4 expensive to run and expensive rego

Never buy a jeep
    what a sad sad AB

Patrol...even though I don't own one, but I know a few people with Jeeps, and none of them are exactly thrilled with reliability or quality, turbo diesel every time for me.

The 4.8 whilst thirsty is bulletproof. Patrol parts are everywhere and they are ALLOT more reliable than the jeep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Coming in late to the conversation but I hope the Jeep is off the list. All the above is true and even yourself have experienced reliability issues. Other option would be a toyota prado if 2.5T is enough towing?

Or if 2.5 tonne is enough (legally) a GQ Patrol 4.2T diesel is reasonably priced and very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    Never buy a jeep
    Just Empty Every Pocket JEEP!

I love the Jeep add where hubby looks over the fence and then asks "What happened to the Johnson's?". As we all know from wifey's response - "They bought a Jeep". My take is said Jeep then proceeded to break down and the poor old Johnson's are now stuffed, possibly dead in the middle of nowhere . My take on the OP's question - If you are more interested in what bells and whistle's you get for your dollar than if they actually work - buy a Jeep. (It's a Jeep thing and they are right, I really don't understand). If you want a no nonsense, rock solid platform that just gets the job done but with a minimum of creature comforts and bells and whistles, the Patrols the go.

just to throw a left field out there have you looked at the petrol cruiser 4.5? if reliability is key id look at them.
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    just to throw a left field out there have you looked at the petrol cruiser 4.5? if reliability is key id look at them.
    Or even the V8. The cruiser also has the added benefit of being able to drive in low range on the black top with all four wheels after a very slight "modification". This was actually one of my own specific requirements due to a narrow street (tight corner) and a grass incline when reversing the boat in that reduced the list to Landcruiser or Landcruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Mupster View Post
    Just Empty Every Pocket JEEP!
    Just expect every problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many Jeep owners with valued information on the forum.. all of them with WH's as well, outstanding advice...

BTW mine has done a water pump, had a couple stupid issues, however never lost a rear wheel at 100ks an hour, never had the exhaust recycled through the oil, the other 20 thousand problems with the Nissan. And the jeep can pull an empty trailer out of the water without needing low range or dumping the clutch as well as doing the speed limit towing a 3.00 tonne boat and even overtake.

One of the deciding factors is ratio % onroad off road / Comfort.

Anyway if you want an unbiased opinion PM me.

Regards
    Honda.