Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jeep or nissan patrol?

Re: jeep or nissan patrol?

Are you saying that the Patrol won't pull an empty trailer out of the water without low range? I happen to know, as a fact, that a standard old Patrol will happily pull a Sharkcat out of the water in H2 (or H4 if it's low tide) just as I did with my mates Patrol this morning....

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Are you saying that the Patrol won't pull an empty trailer out of the water without low range? I happen to know, as a fact, that a standard old Patrol will happily pull a Sharkcat out of the water in H2 (or H4 if it's low tide) just as I did with my mates Patrol this morning....

yeah I am,

manual desal that I personally drove, stalled 3 times trying to pull a 3.4mtr empty trailer from a boat ramp... Owner says rev the shit out of it and dump the clutch.. Fact.. And there was no issue with the car. When I yelled at the owner, wheres all the torque... was laughable.

regards
    HOnda.

Yeah, have to think something isn't right there Honda. Sure - his car may have always been that way but it's not what I would expect from my experience with both the 4.2 my BIL owned or the 3 litre I had. If it was the 2.8 though all bets are off. They almost won't pull the skin off a custard tart.

Scott,

You are correct it was a 2.8 TD.

Regards
    Honda.

Not too sure the actual motor has a lot to do with, it's all about gear ratios, remember when in low range, you change nothing on the engine, but you can pull almost anything up almost any ramp....now to be 100% fair, I have never been in 2.8 Patrol, but can't believe the gear ratio in first would be too much different?? Never had any trouble (except for traction) towing all sorts of boats out of ramps with either my mates Patrol, or my own Land Cruiser without low range.

2.8 Patrols are great machines when you drop a 4.2 TD into them.
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Yep. They were an absolute slug. Many an unsuspecting caravaner has been caught by an unscrupulous car salesman combined with inexperience. People get caught out by asking is it a 4 or 6 cylinder - not knowing that the 2.8 was a 6. They figure it out real quick though when they strap the van to it.

I happen to drive brand new cars straight out of dealer pretty much most days of the week.
    Cant comment much for the earlier models but current Jeep GC diesel is a one of the best in its class to drive; fast, luxury, hi tech, seems to be good economy.
    On the other hand, I don't understand why Nissan insists on making the Patrol so primitive, seems to be designed for caveman, why cant they put some bulbs in to rear stop lights assembly to make it work, same drama with Mitsubishi Pajero.

Frankly, I haven't towed with either Jeep or Navara, but if I was to own one, Jeep would definitely be my current choice regardless of the feedback.

Max

I would reckon all brand new cars are OK to drive, quality issues show up after you have owned the vehicle for a while, not on the first drive!

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    will pass anything but a petrol bowser!
    Like that analogy! will have to squirrel it away for use!

I had a 100 v8 for 5 years they can be very thirsty when pushed but are very nice to drive with the 5speed auto box and will tow anything put behind it and can be bought in your price range.......very reliable drive line with few issues parts are easy to get and most can be bought after market if you choose to go that way.

Patrol 4.8 is a good choice also with a solid reputation for reliability but is also going to be pretty thirsty but I suspect you a fully aware of the pitfalls of buying a large petrol 4wd.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    And radiator and gearbox and gearbox crossmember and engine mounts and diffs and in some cases prop shafts too. Plenty of differences between the two.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

My choice would be the Patrol but I would also look at the Cruiser 100 series as both great and any petrol in that size will be heavy on fuel but that's why they are so much cheaper to buy. I wouldn't even consider the jeep but that's my opinion.

Your right GBC and don't forget the air box and intercooler and the the other bits and bobs. I asked my mechanic who is doing this at the moment to his, how much to rebuild my 4.2 to match the specs of the one he is doing up in his clean room (will rev to 6500 or so) and he said around $45 so I decided to keep my 4000 odd rpm motor instead...............

Makes more sense to just buy a 4.2 Patrol or Toyota for the $s suggested as the thread budget dont ya think?
    What could go wrong.......................

Well a very delayed thanks for the input and thoughts on this one. For any who are interested i ended up going with the 5.7 jeep after testing a few of both.
    The 3L patrol was slightly slower then then my old 125cc scooter and the reputation really did put me off, the larger engines whent bloody well but my budget couldn't comfortable fit the TI model and i found the ST with its lack of abs and other driver aids and comfort features a little off putting untill a fatful test drive ( very wet roads) at which point i decided that the salesman locking it up at the lights was a good indicator this wasn't the truck for me.

I ended up finding a clean low KlM's 5.7 grand cherokee with a little additional bling for just over the $11K after the government took its hefty slice, while i am still a little unsure about how long its going to remain trouble free i figure that unless its a big issue i should still be a little ahead, although not nearly as much if i'd gone for the more sensible but more expensive 3.0L grand cherokee.

If my next post is asking for used jeep motors then you do of course have the right to laugh at my stupidity.