Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance Elite-7 ti & Motorguide Xi5

Lowrance Elite-7 ti & Motorguide Xi5

I started a thread late last year, looking to grab a HDS and Motorguide Xi5 - we ended up selling our house and things got a bit crazy designing a new house, etc. Fast forwarding to now - I got a quote for a HDS9 Gen3 and Xi5 and a few other things and was blown away for it all installed.

Had a quick look at BCF and a salesman was showing me the Elite-7 ti and he said it will connect to the Xi5 (as does the brochure). Looking for any video or information regarding the two together is not easy - can someone confirm that the Elite-7 ti does link to the Xi5? And do you get the same control of the Xi5 as what's on the HDS Gen 3 units?

If so, at the price point, with map and total scan, it looks to be a pretty good option - Hervey Bay area.

Re: Lowrance Elite-7 ti & Motorguide Xi5

Pretty sure it does.

call Lowrance CS 1800-NAVICO and they will be able to tell you for sure.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Cheers mate... they said it does (and looks the same as HDS), so hopefully I can do a deal on a Xi5 and the Ti sounder.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk

Grabbed a Xi5 with all the main accessories needed and the Elite 7 this arvo.... boat is booked in for bow mount plate on Monday.... unfortunately I have a couple of busy weekends, but hopefully I can do a DIY install of it all over the coming weeks

Can someone help explain how I can feed the transducer cable from under the gunnel, down the inbuilt side cavity that comes up inside the console. It's a sealed floor.
    Heavy wire attached to cable?

mate, probably best to draw the NMEA cable through at the same time.

I pulled the old transducer out with fishing line tied on to it and then used that fishing line to help feed the new transducer cable through. With the NMEA cable - I thought I'd be able to set that all up under the console? ie. getting power to it from connecting it to a bus bar?

Are you going to run the cable from the console under the casting deck up to the xi5? I`ve had an xi5 hooked up to a gen 2 touch for about a year. Found it easy to use though I didn`t use all the features. One good thing is it shows a small information window on the unit. This helps as the motorguide remote doesn`t have an lcd screen.

Yeah, running the gateway link back to the centre console and then to the elite 7. I'll be about 4ft short in cable, so another little outlay for an extension cable. Got the Elite 7 all installed, so hopefully I can install the xi5 without issues. Bow mount plate should get made up tomorrow.

How have you found the xi5 and your hds overall? Reckon it's made boating - especially anchoring (spot locking) on a mark easier - resulting in more fish? I'm really looking forward to jogging around marks and being able to fish with much more control and allow for the current better. Did you install a 50 or 60 amp circuit breaker - Jaycar look to be about the only ones I can find for 60 amp, unless I buy from ebay (China) - but don't want to wait 3-4 weeks.

Mate, they don`t miss you with the cost of those cables. The xi5 and the gen 2 touch have been good, I like the "go to" function where you motor close to a mark and tell the unit to go to it from the chart and it anchors when it gets there. The jog feature has been good for moving around snags etc.Don`t know if the Elites are touch screens but that`s how I drive the unit around on mine. "resulting in more fish?" I think I need more than a trolling motor for that. I`ve only had 50 amp breakers on both of the last two set ups with no problems at all. I know the motors are rated to max draw of 50 amps but I doubt you will ever get near that.

Just checked and is a touch unit, the software looks the same as the gen 2 & 3 so it`s the auto pilot function that you use. I think you will find it easy. Don`t know the year of your etec but I think you could probably get all your fuel data up on the unit now if you wanted.

I'm looking forward to testing it all out. I'm a couple of 35mm bolts short of fitting the quick release bracket - I think they got used during the bow mount plate install, which got fabricated today. Have ordered a couple more online. You're not wrong about the cost of the NMEA extension cables - fortunately a local marine mechanic said he has one laying around and as long as it's in cash, it can be had for $20 - a little win there.

The etec is already on a NMEA system of some sort - and has its own gauges on the console - they're good enough for me as they are. The new NMEA set-up will be solely for the Xi5 to the new sounder.

The max draw of my version (80lb) states 56 amps, so if I go the 50 amp circuit breaker - it may trip on the odd occasion when it's at full steam?

xi5 amp draw.jpg

BLA sell bigger BEP circuit breakers. I`m going to install a 24v 80lb on my new boat in the next couple of weeks so I`ll need to sort this out as well.

Cheers mate.... I grabbed one off ebay about half an hour before your reply... but at least I know if I have any issues with this one

Took the boat out after work for a quick test of my installation skills. All looks to work without issue, which is great. However, I thought when I press a spot on the chart/sounder/structure scan and press 'go to cursor' the Xi5 would take me to the spot and then anchor lock - but what happens is it engages to go to the spot and then keep going ie. doesn't automatically spot-lock/anchor - is it possible to tell it to go to cursor and anchor? Also, the jogging feature will take me some fine tuning - in a pretty open area, the head of the unit was turning quite a bit to maintain position, which makes it difficult to know which way I should jog, to get where I want it to, as it's 'heading' keeps changing. Overall, happy it works - but a little disappointed about the 'go to cursor' feature but it doesn't lock on that spot automatically.