Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance Elite-7 ti & Motorguide Xi5

Re: Lowrance Elite-7 ti & Motorguide Xi5

thats an easy fix, have a look at this handy document
    http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...se%20notes.pdf
    Page 12 is where you want to look.

Basically there is a setting for what the motor should do when it arrives at the location - standby - heading lock - anchor

Hazza80
    Maybe you can help me now, how hard does the motor have to work to keep you anchored.

the booklet says 80lb should do up to 21 feet but I'm guessing this would be in still water and not really suited for offshore.

my boat is 21 foot and ill be wanting to use it offshore to anchor.

Cheers

Thanks Sam for that document - hopefully it's as simple as those few buttons!

I've only done the one quick sea trial after work yesterday, so about an hour or so. It was in Hervey Bay, conditions were fairly smooth with a bit of chop towards the end. It had no problem moving my 520 Formosa (close to 1t I'm guessing) where it wanted to go and held anchor when needed. The Formosa freeboard is quite high and on full deployment of the 60" shaft it was about 30cm under the surface (about right) and in the moderate chop it was breaking the surface as it rolled with the waves. I don't think I'll have issues holding anchor for a day on the 24v system, but I don't know how much more effort would be required for yours. Also, my trial was only about an hour after the turn of the tide, so the tide wouldn't have made the Xi5 work too hard at that point either - that may make some difference too (depending on how much run your area gets).

Re: Lowrance Elite-7 ti & Motorguide Xi5 - Network Problem

Hoping someone can help again. I went out to make the very quick change to the autopilot setting, so that the Xi5 knows to anchor at cursor. Set it all up but the Elite 7 ti is now (all of a sudden) not recognising the Xi5. Xi5 is working fine on the remote, but according to the Elite 7 there is no network. I have checked:
    * connections in the nmea/gateway cables (including all T connectors)
    * connection to the Elite 7
    * connection to the Xi5
    * fuse - is fine - checked all the fuses running from the area - the 20amp fuse near the battery was blown - probably from trying to connect a light bar up earlier in the week - but I replaced that before attempting to change the autopilot setting
    * have looked over every inch of cabling from the sounder to the battery terminal and up to the Xi5
    * tried having sounder on then deploying Xi5 to see if network would refresh
    * tried refreshing devices (over and over!)

I'm at a loss, however hopefully someone can explain what Tx errors 255 is, and how I can fix it. Earlier in the week (it's maiden outing) the sounder and Xi5 were linking fine - I was controlling the motor from the sounder.20161022_172531-2.jpg20161022_172638-2.jpg20161022_121024-2.jpg

Here are the screen shots that someone might be able to help with.

In the first pic, I noticed that Bus state is "off". Means that the network is not getting power.

Check the power supply to the network, and the fuse to the network power node.

Then try this. In the device list there should be a menu option to 'auto select' data sources. With everything that is attached to the network turned on, execute the auto-select. It will probably give you a warning asking if you really want to do it, yes, you do!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks for the reply... I've checked the fuse and all connections to do with the network many times over.... but will do again tomorrow. Something must have happened when I tried powering the lightbar off the same power terminal, but I can't figure out what it is.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk

Check that there is actually power at the point where the positive connection to the network power node is connected to your boats wiring. If there is power - could be a bad T piece.

Also see my earlier post - edited when you were responding.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Appreciate your advice... have tried the auto detect twice (after reconnecting cables etc) and the nmea network is powered from the same terminal as sounder/radio etc and they work, so I assume it must be getting power, but somehow it mustn't (I took the connections off the terminal and readjusted and tightened - same to negative terminal/cables). Have redone all connectors in nmea network including terminators.
    Will try again tomorrow, but I can't think of what else I can try except what I've already given a go.

If you have a multimeter, check for power at the NMEA2K plug on the power lead. Visual inspection of fuses isn't a 100% check. They can be physically broken but still look OK. Also check the condition of your Tees. They are unfortunately quite fragile and can be broken easily and in the process create short and open circuits. This is very prevalent when combining Tees from different brands where they don't line up perfectly and then are hard mounted.

Ok thanks guys... will have a look tomorrow - especially at power lead and t-bars. How would I know if it's a t-bar that's no good?
    Bit weird that it was working fine... I packed sounder/xi5 away... hooked up a light bar (didn't work due to relay) - but blew 20 amp fuse near batteries (back of boat)... but now this issue.

Hi Hazza
    how are you going with the motorguide Xi5 , I am think of buying one for my 5.4m performance plate boat later this year

cork24

It keeps spot lock over structute perfectly. Now it's permanently set-up in the shed ready to go, I plan to use it much more and suss it out over the coming months. Winter whiting fishing will be brilliant.
    Good luck with the purchase. I am thankful I don't need to stress about anchoring anymore.

Thanks hazza
    look like I wIll b buying one come June and also a new sounder also as my one gave up last weekend
    god I love been a boat owner
    thank again

What was the problem in the end mate?

Ive just purchased a new Lowrance Elite-7ti and am now looking for a Motorguide. These will be installed on a 435 hornet trophy.

Just looking around now for the motorguide.

It was a connection within the nmea lines. Has been good since, but last weekend the lowrance unit was being stubborn on when it would/wouldn't go to cursor. Still happy with it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk