Thread: First build coming up!

First build coming up!

Hey everyone,

I wanted a hook keeper on one of my decent rods, after looking into it I found this whole world of rod building that I never knew existed.
    After using the cardboard box and microwave motor setup to complete the hook keeper I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for a first attempt, plus lots of learning points along the way!

So for my first build over the chrissy break I'm planning a 2pc 7' spinning 1-3kg fast action type of setup with split grip.

Now a mate of mine has one of the Daiwa Gen Blacks and love the guides they have, the tips are so nice and small. The one I would like to sort of copy is the Scratchy 702LFS.

I can't seem to find a guide set to match this?
    Does anyone know what they use?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: First build coming up!

Fuji K alconites
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Thanks heaps Owen, is K the size?
    Do certain sizes only fit certain size blanks?

K is the style.
    Guides should be sized according to intended use.
    If you're unsure I suggest you give someone like Ross at the rodworks a call
    He can match everything thing up for you so you get the right sizes.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Cool thanks mate I will do.

wait until you become addicted to wraps!!!!!
    Yours looks great, well done.
    You will get so much help from people like Owen, also pays to get along to the odd RB weekend, we all like to share the knowlege, I still have a stack of hook keepers, I purchased them years ago, also many guides back when the Australian $ was above parity with the USA $, saved heaps, I think the hook keepers cost under 50c each at one stage, regardless it's money well spent, better than hooking up to a guide IMO.
    cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Get into it! I'm no expert, have built about 20 or so for myself and family over the last 10 years or so, light spin rods through tp 24kg full roller bent butts. I did the first couple on v-blocks but saw the light and built myself a lathe (way easier to buy one!!) anyway, that was the game changer for me in terms of making it easier and better results. Best part is you can build them exactly how you want them, trouble is you find it hard to go back to buying them off the shelf! The likes of Owen, Ross at Rodworks and Stuart at precision rods have been generous in their advice. I get all my gear through Ross at rodworks. Good luck with it.
    Scott