Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel tank repair

Re: Fuel tank repair

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    So am I correct in thinking that there is an alloy socket molded into the tank that the sender screws into and the plastic that holds that alloy socket has let go during an attempt to remove or tighten the sender.

Spot on mate.

It's hard to see scottar, looks like the sender is screwed straight into the plastic to me.
    Also looks like a crack around the plastic on the right hand side of the sender?

That aint coming out any time soon then short of using a hole saw. I would give the guy's at Saint Marine a call as you certainly wouldn't be the first to have this happen I would think.

Maybe this stuff

http://clampline.com.au/product/read...-kit-56g/6501/

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    It's hard to see scottar, looks like the sender is screwed straight into the plastic to me.
    Also looks like a crack around the plastic on the right hand side of the sender?
    Don't think it's a crack Fed - looking at the top of that line (that looks like a crack) it doubles back right next to the sender - possibly a "high tide line" from water etc sitting there at some stage.

That looks like an older Sensotex sender unit.
    It probably has an nylon, alloy or stainless threaded fitting below it that is molded into the tank and then the sender screws into it.
    You could probably look at getting the sender unit and threaded fitting out and then getting a piece of stainless or alloy cut out to fit that entire recess and re fitting the sender back into the round plate.
    There is plenty of tank area inside that recess to seal and screw down the plate to get a good seal.
    There is weld in tank fittings available in both stainless and alloy as well as nylon ones so you have a few choices if you need to make a new sender setup.