Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updating tow car

Re: Updating tow car

Yes it is important to check max towball download capacity - the Mazda CX-5 is 150kgs which is plenty for boats up to its max rated towing of 1800kg

But, I have to disagree with your definition of towball download and what it includes.

Towball download is the weight actually carried on the ball. It is a rating as much about the carrying capacity of the towbar as anything else.

It has nothing to do with the weight carried separately in the car.

May be confusing this with the combined gross vehicle mass.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    I have just bought a new CX5 Akera diesel for my private car, it replaces a company car, also a CX5 but in that case, the next model down, a GT diesel, that I had for 3 years.

As as you can gather by the fact that Ive just spent my own hard earned cash on one, I am very impressed indeed with this vehicle.

It is several classes above the Hyundai and Kia's in all respects - finish, handling, materials, dynamics and comfort. I looked at them all closely 3 years ago when I got the CX5GT for my company car. There really is no contest, except perhaps on price.

129kw and 420nm of torque, it has more grunt than most of the dual cabs around by a decent margin. Diesel engine is pretty quiet and 6 speed auto is a beauty.

Rated to tow 1800kg here in Aus, and 2.0T in Europe and the UK.

I have towed my 5.5m Surtees Workmate, which weighs in at just under 1.4T with normal gear and full tank of fuel with this car many many times over 3 years.

It tows this weight very comfortably. As you would expect from a vehicle with those power and torque figures.

Furthest trips so far is Cleveland to Evans Head and it was easy.

Ive pulled that boat out of some steep, slippery ramps from low tide with the mazda and never even had a bit of wheel spin. The AWD system just seamlessly takes care of it all. And the diesel just chugs up the ramp with no fuss at all.

I am also halves in a Stacer Proline 430 with a mate. 40hp Suzuki, newly done up boat with flat floors, casting decks, electric motor, deep cycle battery and all the goodies. Towed it up to Maryborough from Cleveland a few months ago and averaged less than 12l/100 kms. Hardly noticed it behind the CX5.

On a highway trip without towing, you can easily average 6 -6.4 l/100kms. Ive done as well as 5.6. Around town, driving 35km to and from work each day, I have never done worse than 7.5.

It will do the towing job you have outlined, plus it will be an enjoyable round town car to drive when you aren't towing.

By the way, it's always a good idea to know the actual weight of your boat motor trailer combo. Just go to your local tip and run it onto the weigbridge and ask them to tell you the weight. The might charge for a weighbridge certificate but if you just write down the number then they usually do it for free.
    Thanks! This is exactly the sort of first hand experience I was searching for. I was leaning towards the CX5 (Cant find a bad review for them) but had seen some negative stuff on another forum so was a bit concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Yes it is important to check max towball download capacity - the Mazda CX-5 is 150kgs which is plenty for boats up to its max rated towing of 1800kg

But, I have to disagree with your definition of towball download and what it includes.

Towball download is the weight actually carried on the ball. It is a rating as much about the carrying capacity of the towbar as anything else.

It has nothing to do with the weight carried separately in the car.

May be confusing this with the combined gross vehicle mass.
    Bottom line, you get about 500 k.g. of 'payload' in a cx5. Where you spend the 500 k.g. is up to you. A tow bar is also part of it before you add ball weight. Add a tank of fuel, 2 blokes and an esky to go fishing and you're marginal straight away. Small cars have come a long way though. The engine numbers are impressive.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Bottom line, you get about 500 k.g. of 'payload' in a cx5. Where you spend the 500 k.g. is up to you. A tow bar is also part of it before you add ball weight. Add a tank of fuel, 2 blokes and an esky to go fishing and you're marginal straight away. Small cars have come a long way though. The engine numbers are impressive.
    But even full on 4wds suffer from this as well from the looking Ive done. 500kgs for a cx5 is a better trade off for me than say 670 odd for a 200 series cruiser. The slight extra capacity is not worth all the extra vehicle Id have to drag around.

You'll get no argument from me. Big cars for no reason make no sense.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Free Membership

I know this isnt on your list and is possibly too big for you. The best towing vehicle I have had has been a Petrol territory. here is why.

- purchase price $10,000 with 100,000km - Dirt cheap

- 6 speed auto. Magic on big long steep hills, just step on it and keep dropping down the gears until you hold speed.

- fitted a transmission cooler myself for $200 (needed)

- not as bad as people think on fuel 10.5-11L/100 (I dont live in a city)

- AWD with traction control makes it virtually impossible to get bogged. I took it all over fraser island through all the deep soft sand etc etc, never got stuck once while dragging the diff and fuel tank though the sand for miles. There wasnt any paint or rust left under the car after that day, but it never got bogged.

- 18-20L per 100km while towing a 2 tonne boat. Not bad considering its petrol and the boat and car are close to 4000kg combined. Towing from Brisbane to Victoria was 18.5 average fuel consumption. my mates diesel Hilux uses 17L towing and his boat lighter than mine by 300kg or so.

- get spare parts dead easy at the wreckers

-15000km service intervals.

- I have towed the boat out of very sandy ramps with the trailer in the sand and rear car wheels in the sand - no problem at all because of the magic traction control

- Endless power. I have 2 mates both with 3.0L Hilux's both have said that the territory would easily out tow their vehicles. Coming back from Brisbane around some big hills north of Sydney, overtook a Pajero, Navara and Jeep (Towing vans) all on the same hill!. Blew them away easier than taking a crap with the 4.0L power house. I rarely have to think do I have enough space to over take as it just flies (with the boat behind it)

As you have said it's not on your list but it's an awesome tow vehicle.

Get on here and search for his comparisons on soft roaders: AutoExpert.com.au

He is straight down the line, pretty ammusing and probably give the best non biased comparison taking into account warantees, servicing, client service etc. Focuses more on new cars but will give you a good idea of what to look at and what to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by WildFishExpeditions View Post
    As you have said it's not on your list but it's an awesome tow vehicle.
    have to agree, mate has a diesel one and it is also an awesome tow vehicle, and very very very comfortable compared to the dual cab utes.
    what a sad sad AB