Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1

    Updating tow car

    Just after some thoughts/advice.

    My boat is a 4.5m Bluefin Side Console with a 60hp Yam 4 stroke. Ive never weighed it but it came from the factory as under 750kgs so I assume it is. Even so Im a cautious person and had good quality brakes fitted after buying it. Lets say worst case its 8-850kg fully wet. Id be shocked if it actually is though...

    My current car is a Pajero Exceed Diesel that Ive had for about 10 years. Its still going strong but with kids grown up and independent Im just thinking its time to downsize a bit. I don't go "off road" as such with it and originally bought it when I was still bike racing as an economical tow car that could store all my gear. So now apart from towing the boat it just gets used as a car. So Im leaning towards a smaller soft roader of some sort. I still like the economy and urge of diesel so intend to stick with that. Although the boat doesn't weigh a huge amount living in Canberra I have to drag it up and down the mountains to get to the coast and don't want something I have to thrash to do it. I know Pathfinders,Colorados etc are better 4Wds and I guess tow cars but they wont suit my usual needs as well as something a bit more car like.

    So my short list at the moment is
    (Soft roaders)
    Mazda CX5
    BMW X3
    Volvo XC60

    Possibly more traditional 4WD but still closer to a car.
    Hyundai Santa Fe/ix35
    Kia Sorrento/sportage

    In my price range these cars will have done around 100ks, some more some less. So does anyone have any experience of any of these cars? Reliability, servicing costs and especially how well they tow? Ive read some stuff about the CX5 not transferring drive to the rear wheels well but you can always find someone to have a bitch on the Internet. The BMW and Volvo are pretty upspec and Ive no experience of them. Power and Torque on their motors are pretty hot though.

  2. #2

    Re: Updating tow car

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1 View Post
    Just after some thoughts/advice.

    My boat is a 4.5m Bluefin Side Console with a 60hp Yam 4 stroke. Ive never weighed it but it came from the factory as under 750kgs so I assume it is. Even so Im a cautious person and had good quality brakes fitted after buying it. Lets say worst case its 8-850kg fully wet. Id be shocked if it actually is though...

    My current car is a Pajero Exceed Diesel that Ive had for about 10 years. Its still going strong but with kids grown up and independent Im just thinking its time to downsize a bit. I don't go "off road" as such with it and originally bought it when I was still bike racing as an economical tow car that could store all my gear. So now apart from towing the boat it just gets used as a car. So Im leaning towards a smaller soft roader of some sort. I still like the economy and urge of diesel so intend to stick with that. Although the boat doesn't weigh a huge amount living in Canberra I have to drag it up and down the mountains to get to the coast and don't want something I have to thrash to do it. I know Pathfinders,Colorados etc are better 4Wds and I guess tow cars but they wont suit my usual needs as well as something a bit more car like.

    So my short list at the moment is
    (Soft roaders)
    Mazda CX5
    BMW X3
    Volvo XC60

    Possibly more traditional 4WD but still closer to a car.
    Hyundai Santa Fe/ix35
    Kia Sorrento/sportage

    In my price range these cars will have done around 100ks, some more some less. So does anyone have any experience of any of these cars? Reliability, servicing costs and especially how well they tow? Ive read some stuff about the CX5 not transferring drive to the rear wheels well but you can always find someone to have a bitch on the Internet. The BMW and Volvo are pretty upspec and Ive no experience of them. Power and Torque on their motors are pretty hot though.
    There are so many cars that you could go with - my pick would be a Santa Fe diesel (my brother has one & he did a lot of medium weight towing (less than 1 tonne) from Sydney to the Snowies - its small enough to be an easy drive around town / comfortable & economical .
    A close second would be a Subaru Forrester diesel ...... nice drive & very economical ------------------> 1000 km out of a tank ( all 3 subarus that I have owned have been great cars - very reliable)

    I would avoid European cars to be honest .... they can be bloody expensive to repair.

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  3. #3

    Re: Updating tow car

    U looked at the Isuzu Mux? Worth a look bud, just look online n see what u think


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Re: Updating tow car

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    There are so many cars that you could go with - my pick would be a Santa Fe diesel (my brother has one & he did a lot of medium weight towing (less than 1 tonne) from Sydney to the Snowies - its small enough to be an easy drive around town / comfortable & economical .
    A close second would be a Subaru Forrester diesel ...... nice drive & very economical ------------------> 1000 km out of a tank ( all 3 subarus that I have owned have been great cars - very reliable)

    I would avoid European cars to be honest .... they can be bloody expensive to repair.

    Chris
    Yes Im a little wary of European cars but I like to keep an open mind. Probably enough Jap/Korean options to not push the option too hard.

  5. #5

    Re: Updating tow car

    Quote Originally Posted by toddo1 View Post
    U looked at the Isuzu Mux? Worth a look bud, just look online n see what u think


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Hadnt seen these. Added to my list.

  6. #6

    Re: Updating tow car

    Agree with the sentiment of staying away from second hand euro's - there's a reason they are so cheap. RAV 4 diesel would be another contender. Ultimately though nothing that size is going to feel as secure on the road as the Paj when push comes to shove.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  7. #7
    Ausfish Bronze Member DATCOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    CABOOLTURE
    My Listings
    1

    Re: Updating tow car

    Nissan diesel X trail very good

  8. #8

    Re: Updating tow car

    The boss has a CX5 and it tows the 4.2m WB Dory easily however your rig would be heavier so can't really comment. I would stick to a diesel whichever way you go. How about a Challenger not the Pajero Sport which replaced it, friends who own one and tow a caravan are very happy with it.

  9. #9

    Re: Updating tow car

    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    The boss has a CX5 and it tows the 4.2m WB Dory easily however your rig would be heavier so can't really comment. I would stick to a diesel whichever way you go. How about a Challenger not the Pajero Sport which replaced it, friends who own one and tow a caravan are very happy with it.
    Thanks. Yes Im hoping to see a Challenger on the weekend.

  10. #10

    Re: Updating tow car

    I have just bought a new CX5 Akera diesel for my private car, it replaces a company car, also a CX5 but in that case, the next model down, a GT diesel, that I had for 3 years.

    As as you can gather by the fact that Ive just spent my own hard earned cash on one, I am very impressed indeed with this vehicle.

    It is several classes above the Hyundai and Kia's in all respects - finish, handling, materials, dynamics and comfort. I looked at them all closely 3 years ago when I got the CX5GT for my company car. There really is no contest, except perhaps on price.

    129kw and 420nm of torque, it has more grunt than most of the dual cabs around by a decent margin. Diesel engine is pretty quiet and 6 speed auto is a beauty.

    Rated to tow 1800kg here in Aus, and 2.0T in Europe and the UK.

    I have towed my 5.5m Surtees Workmate, which weighs in at just under 1.4T with normal gear and full tank of fuel with this car many many times over 3 years.

    It tows this weight very comfortably. As you would expect from a vehicle with those power and torque figures.

    Furthest trips so far is Cleveland to Evans Head and it was easy.

    Ive pulled that boat out of some steep, slippery ramps from low tide with the mazda and never even had a bit of wheel spin. The AWD system just seamlessly takes care of it all. And the diesel just chugs up the ramp with no fuss at all.

    I am also halves in a Stacer Proline 430 with a mate. 40hp Suzuki, newly done up boat with flat floors, casting decks, electric motor, deep cycle battery and all the goodies. Towed it up to Maryborough from Cleveland a few months ago and averaged less than 12l/100 kms. Hardly noticed it behind the CX5.

    On a highway trip without towing, you can easily average 6 -6.4 l/100kms. Ive done as well as 5.6. Around town, driving 35km to and from work each day, I have never done worse than 7.5.

    It will do the towing job you have outlined, plus it will be an enjoyable round town car to drive when you aren't towing.

    By the way, it's always a good idea to know the actual weight of your boat motor trailer combo. Just go to your local tip and run it onto the weigbridge and ask them to tell you the weight. The might charge for a weighbridge certificate but if you just write down the number then they usually do it for free.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

  11. #11

    Re: Updating tow car

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1 View Post
    Thanks. Hadnt seen these. Added to my list.
    The MUX is the same vehicle as the Colorado 7 so may be bigger than you were looking for.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

  12. #12

    Re: Updating tow car

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1 View Post
    Thanks. Yes Im hoping to see a Challenger on the weekend.
    The new Pajero sport? If so, try not to look at the rear end, it will put you off instantly
    what a sad sad AB

  13. #13

    Re: Updating tow car

    I tow a similar package with a 2.5 petrol Forrester and its very good.

  14. #14

    Re: Updating tow car

    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  15. #15

    Re: Updating tow car

    Check the tow ball download for the SUV. Some vehicles may be able to tow 1800-2000 kg but have a very low download figure. When you add "stuff" to the boot this decreases your available download. Too many cars exceed the download unknowingly and will not be covered by insurance in an accident. Cheers Winston.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us